Tuesday, May 27, 2008

May 25 & 26, 2008

May 25, 2008

Today we were supposed to be preparing to depart tomorrow morning for Salmon Arm, at the north end of the Okanagan Valley, to attend the Escapees Chapter 33 Spring Rally. But we won't be able to go because of a very sore wrist and hand that I have developed over the last few days. I will need to see a doctor tomorrow. And I can't prepare for departure with only one hand functional.

It started Friday. I had a sore wrist. Yesterday it became worse. My wrist and all my fingers were swollen and sore. I tried applying heat. Didn't really help. I tried applying cold. Didn't really help. I wrapped a tension bandage around my wrist. Made it worse. Ibuprofen didn't really help. As the day wore on, the pain became worse. This morning my wrist and fingers were very swollen, the skin on my hand looked waxy, and I throbbed from fingertips to elbow. I put my arm in a sling and did not use my right hand at all today. That rest seemed to help. The throbbing stopped. But my wrist and fingers remained swollen, stiff, and very sore. I needed Joanne's help with almost everything today. I don't like needing help !

 

May 26, 2008

 

HMPH ... gout ! By this morning the swelling and pain in my wrist and hand had diminished somewhat. Nevertheless I phoned the clinic in Keremeos this morning at 8:00 A.M. to make an appointment to see a doctor. I was given an appointment for 10:10 A.M., although our family doctor was not working today, so I saw another doctor. One of the things we like most about living here is the excellent access to health care. The doctor's diagnosis was gout. I had a previous attack of gout, in a big toe, about 7½ years ago. I thought gout was an affliction only of the big toe joints. WRONG ! The doctor prescribed some corticosteroid medication and sent me to the medical laboratory across the hall for blood tests. After having blood taken, I went to the pharmacy and filled my prescription. By this evening, the pain and swelling were significantly reduced. But ... this problem prevented us from attending the Escapees B.C. Okanagan Chapter 33 Spring Rally, which started today in Salmon Arm !

As I'm typing this, Teddy and Bo are lying on the sofa, entwined, and Teddy is grooming / licking Bo's ear and neck. Bo loooooves being groomed / licked by Teddy. What a strange duo !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment