Saturday, April 25, 2009

April 16, 20, & 21, 2009

April 16, 2009 ; Keremeos, B.C.

Well, we're back home and getting settled into our more or less routine summer lifestyle. Today was sunny and mild. We spent the day doing "return to Canada" spring chores and errands. Which is what most of the next week or so will be, I think.

So I think it's time, once again, to suspend writing a daily journal. During the spring and summer seasons I'll write to my journal and / or post photos only when something interesting happens in our lives.

Thank you for reading my journal / blog. I hope you found it interesting. I welcome your comments and feedback.


April 20, 2009 ; Keremeos & Penticton, B.C.

This morning we took Teddy to Lindsey Veterinary Hospital in Penticton. Unlike Bo, Teddy doesn't like going "drivey" in the truck. His ear infection has been getting worse over the last few days. Dr. Kopp diagnosed it as a bacterial infection. The veterinary clinic staff flushed Teddy's ear, and administered an antibiotic by injection. They gave us a bottle of antibacterial ear drops to administer daily for a week. The ear flushing seemed to provide Teddy with some relief. He spent the afternoon contentedly grooming, something he hasn't done much of lately. The vet's bill was ... ( big eyes, raised eyebrows ) ... quite a bit ! ! !

Today I began looking for summer employment, with a bit of reluctance and a lot of ambivalence. I had prepared a resumé and today delivered a copy to Leisureland RV in Penticton. They had advertised a vacancy for a "general Joe boy" sort of position. Working for an RV dealership is of some interest to me, although I really don't want to commute to Penticton. This afternoon, after getting a haircut and beard trim in Keremeos ( my first haircut in five months, since that fiasco in Nuevo Progreso, Mexico ! ), I took a resumé to Farmer John's Petting Zoo. The female owner / manager advised me that she is really just a one person operation and she's not really in a position to hire outside help. I went to WorkZone in Keremeos, an employment services and resource centre. I checked their employment notices board. And ... ( rolling eyes ) ... received some unsolicited advice from a young lady working there on "how to prepare a resumé ". Listen ... SweetCheeks ... I've got shoes older than you. I probably don't really need your assistance to prepare a resume. But thanks anyways !

The rock wall that forms the back of our site and runs along the row of sites that we are on is filled with pregnant marmots ! Around noon today a forest fire started a few kilometres down the road, where the Ashnola River meets the Similkameen River. By the time it had been burning for six or eight hours it had become quite large. And as the sun set and the wind subsided, the smoke descended down across our valley. Our park is hazy with smoke tonight.


April 21, 2009 ; Keremeos & Osoyoos, B.C.

This morning we headed for Osoyoos, to apply at the District Electoral Office for employment as election officials for B.C.'s upcoming provincial election day. We had hoped to get employment for not only the election day, but also the four advance polling days. Unfortunately, all the advance polling day requirements were filled, but we did get employment for the election day. The requirements for election officials in the Keremeos and Hedley polling stations were filled, but we got positions in Kaleden, just south of Penticton. Joanne will be a Voting Clerk. I will be an Information Officer. We each will have to go to Osoyoos for an afternoon of training.

The pay for the one long hard day of work is excellent ! And the afternoon training session also earns pay. I got this idea from my sister and brother-in-law in Lorette, Manitoba. When we were visiting them last October, including the day of Canada's federal election, Sharon and Bud were away all day the day of the federal election working as election officials. When we picked up the local newspaper in Keremeos last week there was an ad from Elections BC advertising employment available on election day. So I went online, got some information, and ... !

On the way back from Osoyoos we stopped at the new bakery in Cawston. MMMMM ... nice breads, reasonably priced. And good sausage rolls. And good cranberry squares. And ... ! HA HA HA ... once a bakery junkie, always a bakery junkie ! We chatted for awhile with the owner about our RV travels in Mexico. We stopped at the library in Keremeos so that I could get online with my laptop. ( sigh ) We still don't have our Wi-Fi signal transceiver equipment from the local Internet service provider.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment