Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 20 to 26, 2011

Sunday ; Today was overcast, warm, but windy. Because of the wind we decided to postpone our outing planned for today to the local camel farm. We’d rather go on a day with nicer weather. Plus … I was feeling quite ill for most of today with a colitis fare up that began yesterday. I spent most of the afternoon in bed cuddled with Sully. Sully would be most happy if someone was available to cuddle with him in bed 24 hours a day.


Late in the afternoon while Joanne baked cookies I watched a movie. An action adventure flick … < rolling eyes > … Passenger 57. In the evening we watched Three Men and a Baby. Hey … Joanne’s choice, not mine !

Monday ; WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ? ! ? I was horribly sick overnight ! And it wasn’t simply an ulcerative colitis flare up as I first thought. Nor was it a food poisoning illness.

I think it’s a flu type illness that has been making the rounds here. At Kofa
Ko-op so many people were stricken with this flu in the past month or so that they named it the Kofa Krud. And many people here at Rancho Bonitos have been ill recently also.

I had been feeling unwell for two days already. At bedtime last night I was stricken with dizziness and nausea that made it impossible to continue reading a book in bed. So … I put the book down and tried to go to sleep. The dizziness became worse. A lot worse. I couldn’t move. Moving caused severe vertigo. And nausea. I fell asleep and woke up frequently because of the dizziness and nausea. Finally, my stomach began to heave. Fortunately Joanne had brought me a pail and left it at the foot of the bed.. I have never had such violent retching. And it went on and on and on. And that process repeated itself five times throughout the night ! ! ! The dizziness was blinding. And the vomiting and retching injured my throat and larynx. I have a sore throat and laryngitis today.

The violent vomiting and retching ended around 5 AM. I fell asleep and slept very fitfully for about 11 hours. Every time I moved I woke up with dizziness and nausea. At 4 PM Joanne decided she couldn’t sit around and babysit me anymore, she had to go run some errands. I decided to try to get up and get cleaned up a bit. I was able to achieve that, but I could only move slowly. My stomach was still very queasy, and moving at a pace faster than “slow motion” caused dizziness. It’s now 6 PM, Joanne has just returned home, I’m feeling worse and I’m returning to bed.

Goodnight !

Tuesday ; Well, I slept from 6 PM last night until noon today, got up, ate a soft boiled egg, and went back to sleep for the afternoon. It’s now 6 PM and I’m not feeling much better yet ! I still have frequent and sometimes severe bouts of dizziness. My stomach is still queasy, particularly when I’m dizzy. My stomach muscles are sore from the retching of two nights ago. I’m tired, I’m weak … I’m sick !

Joanne phoned our friends Lynn and Micha to cancel our planned lunch together tomorrow.

Determined to stop succumbing to this illness, I vowed to stay up for the evening. I ate a bit of pasta and we watched a movie. SEABISCUIT. Good movie. Made me dizzy. HA HA HA !

Wednesday ; Well … I don’t think “feeling better” is exactly the right term. Maybe more like “less sick” ! I spent less time in bed today. I joined Joanne and Bo on a very slow walk. It was a perfect “June 18” weather type of day. And the scent of lemon blossoms is in the air. AHHHHH … how fragrant. One of the nicest things about Yuma is the scent of lemon blossoms in the spring.

Tonight’s movie was Stage Door Canteen. 1943. Black and white. Jingoism at its finest !

Thursday ; Well … I’m still sick, although less so, I guess. Today was sunny and warm. This morning I puttered around outdoors hoping that some fresh air and sunlight would hasten me feeling better. I suppose it did.

After lunch I wanted to go to Bark Park, so … off we went. We stopped at Liquidation World to check their price on Awesome cleaner … we want to buy a case before we leave Yuma in a week … refilled with diesel at Barney’s, then went to Bark Park. We wandered around the park for awhile, Joanne and me enjoying sunshine and fresh air, Bo enjoying romping with other dogs. I was able to watch some World War II “War Birds” approach and land at Yuma Airport. They’re coming in for the air show this weekend. After Bark Park we went to Albertsons for some groceries, then over to Kofa Ko-op to check our position on the lot waiting list.

We are still number 10 on the list, unchanged from a couple of weeks ago. But … there is a lot available that we think might become available to us even though we’re still that high on the list. The lot has a screened room structure on it that makes it unsuitable for any rig with a slide on the passenger side. Many newer rigs have slides on both sides. Our older trailer only has slides on the driver’s side, so would fit on that lot. We viewed the lot briefly and decided that if it were to be offered to us we would take it. We actually quite liked it ! And we suppose it is remotely possible that numbers 1 through 9 on the waiting list would decline to accept the lot. In any case, since no lot transfers take place from April 1 to November 1, it wouldn’t happen until next fall, but … better to be ready than not !

1972. Paul Newman. Lee Marvin. Pocket Money. Crappy movie !

By the end of the day, I could say … yes, yes, I was feeling better !

Friday ; Today was sunny and warm, but windy. And yes, I woke up feeling healthy for the first time in about a week. A little weak, perhaps, but healthy.

This morning we went to Arizona Market Place looking for bargains. This will be the last weekend for some vendors, and the second last weekend for most vendors. In previous years most vendors marked their merchandise down by 50% on the last weekend. But … apparently not this year. We think most vendors have been hurt by new admission fees charged to the shoppers and increases in rent imposed by the new landlord. So there were no bargains to be had today. We still need a case of Awesome.

We returned home, packed a picnic lunch and headed off for a “back roads adventure” in Picacho State Recreation Area. Picacho SRA is about 25 miles northwest of Yuma, on the banks of the Colorado River, on the
west / California side of the river. The entrance road is 18 miles of very rough gravel, pretty much a four wheel drive trail through the desert. The scenery is rough, rugged, “cowboy movie” terrain. The Ocotillo and Prickly Pear are in bloom. We drove to the end of the road, had a picnic lunch at the park’s boat launch on the Colorado River, drove around the campground to take a look, then headed back … for date shakes. On our way to Picacho SRA, when we had turned off the highway, Bo recognized where we were and thought we were headed to Bard, California. WOO-HOO … DATE SHAKES ! HA HA HA … what a funny little dog. He became confused when we didn’t follow our regular date shake route to Sun Gardens Date Farm. That was because … Bo … we were going to have date shakes after Picacho SRA. WOO-HOO ! ! ! We think date shakes are his favourite treat.

After date shakes we returned home to Rancho Bonitos. I needed a nap. I’m feeling a bit run down after being so sick. Joanne ‘California Duster’ed the truck exterior and did some laundry while I napped, then we took Bo for his daily long walk. That really tired me out !

Tonight’s movie was G.I.Jane with Demi Moore. It was okay. I remain unimpressed with the … I typed it, read it, then decided to censor myself in the interests of international diplomacy.
Saturday ; Today was sunny and warm. Our plans for today included attending the Marine Corps Air Station annual air show. Those plans changed.

This morning we headed out to the Goodwill Thrift Shop. Today was a 50% off everything sale. And the store was very crowded and busy today. When we were there browsing a week ago there were some clothing items I was interested in and was hoping to get them today but they were gone. But … I did find a brand new shirt with a $50 price tag on it that fit and interested me. I bought it … for $2.50 !

From there we were going to head to the air show but … the line up of cars waiting for entry to the Marine air base grounds was miles long ! I didn’t want to see an air show badly enough to tolerate being in a vehicle line up for an hour or two to gain entrance. So … we headed to Kofa Ko-op to take another look at lot 52. It’s growing on us, and we’re slightly hopeful that it might be turned down by the people on the wait list ahead of us.

As were driving around today I thought I detected a new sound in the driver’s side front wheel. I was worried that yesterday’s back road / off road adventure may have knocked a brake component loose … or something.
I wanted to remove the front wheel and inspect the brake assembly. When we got back home to Rancho Bonitos that’s what I did. What a tough and filthy job it was to remove the front wheel and inspect the brake assembly and components. I couldn’t find anything wrong. Perhaps the new sound is wheel bearing wear and tear ?

We found out yesterday that Canada’s federal government has been defeated by the opposition and so an election is required. Today I went online to do some research on obtaining jobs on election day, as we did for the BC provincial election in 2009. But … when I went online I discovered that the election has been called for May 2 ! We thought that the election would be much later than that, perhaps even in June. We discussed whether or not we wanted to return home earlier than planned so that we could get election day jobs. We decided … NO !

Tonight’s movie was CREATOR. 1985. Peter O’Toole. Mariel Hemingway.
I never have been a fan of Peter O’Toole, nor of Mariel Hemingway’s eyebrows. HA HA HA !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment