Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 1 to 7, 2012

Sunday ; Happy Canada Day

Our plan was to head to Osoyoos this morning for the joint Cherry Festival / Canada Day celebrations. BUT ... we woke up to gloomy skies and rain once again. SO ... we rolled over and went back to sleep until noon.

Suffice to say ... we had a pretty lazy Canada Day.

Monday ; Today was cloudy, warm, and a bit humid. And ... as could be expected for the beginning of July ... the Saskatoons are ripe ! ! ! WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO ! ! ! That was Bo, not me ! HA HA HA ! We picked a lot of Saskatoons. And as Joanne and I picked ... so did Bo. HA HA HA ! I had to put him inside the truck to stop him. There are two problems with him picking Saskatoons. First of all ... he simply doesn't know when to stop. He's a dog ! And secondly ... he's not very discriminating between ripe and not ripe. If there's a cluster of berries within his reach, one berry is ripe, and half a dozen are green ... GLOMP ... they're gone !

This afternoon we gave Bo a haircut. And ... WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO, WOO-HOO ... that was me this time ... Joanne baked a Saskatoon pie. HA HA HA HA HA ! Thank you, my dear, great pie !
Tuesday ; Today started out cloudy, rainy, and quite chilly, but the weather slowly improved throughout the day. We spent a long, tiring, slightly boring day of running errands in Penticton. We wasted the evening in front of the TV watching three hours of cheesy reality shows ; Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, and ... WOO-HOO, my new favourite ... Love In The Wild.

This afternoon at the Farmers' Market in Penticton we learned about ... and bought ... garlic scapes from an organic vegetable farmer from Cawston.

Wednesday ; Today was sunny and warm.

This afternoon I drove into town to buy some beeswax at Orchard Blossom Honey. John, the owner of Orchard Blossom Honey is a really nice fellow. He sold me a small amount of beeswax to use in making my pine sap and beeswax wound salve, and when he found out I was having a bit of difficulty finding little glass jars he sold me four little glass jars with lids. He also brought to my attention that there is a local herbalist in Cawston who makes beeswax and comfrey wound salve similar to what I am planning to make. Thank you for all your help and advice, John. If my efforts don't work well ... I'll just buy some beeswax and comfrey wound salve from the local herbalist and add some pine pitch and maybe some tea tree oil to it.

For supper I barbecued a Rainbow Trout stuffed with leeks and garlic scapes. It turned out pretty darn good. < whispering> Maybe next time I'll use a bit less garlic scapes !
< BURP >

Thursday ; Today was partially sunny and warm. The sunlight was too intermittent to allow for the use of the Sun Oven. Too bad. Last night I mixed a batch of bread dough to be baked today in the Sun Oven. I had to bake it indoors in the trailer oven. Nice loaf of bread ! My bread making skills are improving !

This morning Joanne defrosted the fridge. My role in that chore is minimal. This afternoon she went into town to run some errands. I napped with the animals while she did that. Later in the afternoon I did a plumbing improvement modification. A tough job, well done, hopefully a problem solved.

Friday ; Today was mostly sunny and very warm. For supper tonight Joanne cooked roast chicken in the Sun Oven. The sunshine was a bit intermittent today, making Sun Oven cooking a bit "iffy". But ... all's well that ends well !

This afternoon we washed the truck. And we picked an ice cream pail full of big, juicy, Saskatoons. While we picked berries, so did Bo, standing in the bed of the truck and gorging himself. I finally had to put him inside the cab of the truck for fear that he would eat Saskatoons until he puked.

Saturday ; Today was sunny and hot.

This morning was Riverside RV Park Resort's annual "yard sale". Because of the expected flow of "traffic" the yard sale would generate, the local real estate agents who have listings within the park all had "open houses" to coincide with the yard sale times. Being a "nosy neighbour" I wanted to see a couple of the park model / manufactured homes that were for sale.

We went to see the first one of two that I was "nosy" about. We liked it ! Joanne was already finished viewing the inside and was outside waiting for me when the real estate agent made an offhand comment that flipped a light switch inside my brain. The unit had been owned by a woman who died of cancer a couple of years ago < sad sigh >. We had met her because of her little Yorkshire Terrier dog similar to Bo. Unfortunately, during the three or four years or so that she owned the home and property, she had only visited here a few times before her cancer illness prevented her from coming out here from her home somewhere in the Vancouver / Lower Mainland area. The current owner of the property is her son and executor of her estate, an NHL professional hockey player.

As soon as the agent mentioned that her son is a professional hockey player, I thought ... DING ! ... then money is not his primary concern in the sale of this home. I thought ... maybe he's more interested in getting rid of this little headache his mother left him ... with minimal hassle ... quickly and easily ... than he is concerned with the selling price.

HMMM ... a very wealthy young man, eager to get rid of a little annoyance left behind by his mother. HMMM ... I didn't get to this point in my life by being stupid !

To make a very long story a whole lot shorter ... we made a "lowball" offer. But ... hassle free ! No conditions, no terms, no waiting for buyers to find financing, no waiting for buyers to get inspections done, no hassle from buyers who don't understand or are scared by the "communal" fractional ownership legalities of this RV Park ... and so on. He gets a bit less money than he would like ... BUT ... he's already a multi-millionaire ! What's a few ( tens of ) thousand bucks one way or another to him ? Hopefully, my reasoning and strategy will pay off. If not ... < shrug > ... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment