Sunday, October 14, 2012

October 7 to 13, 2012

Sunday ; Sunny and mild. Nice fall weather.

This afternoon we headed for Penticton. A few hours of running errands and then ...

WOW ! What an exquisite meal ! Lamb Fest at Bogner's of Penticton. Part of the Okanagan Fall Wine Festival. Joanne's birthday gift to me. A four course gourmet meal featuring spit roasted lamb as the main course. And the first three courses each paired with an award winning wine from Hester Creek Winery. A very expensive once per year indulgence. Worth every cent !

Monday ; Canadian Thanksgiving

A partially sunny, mild day. Not sunny enough to cook the Thanksgiving turkey in the Sun Oven. Lord knows we tried ! Joanne prepared the turkey and put it into the Sun Oven early in the afternoon. The sun kept disappearing intermittently behind fluffy clouds. All afternoon the temperature in the Sun Oven went up and down, up and down. After the daily dog party, as the sun dipped below the mountain across the river, we took the turkey out of the Sun Oven and finished cooking it in the oven inside the house.

I give thanks for two things ; Joanne's cancer survival and the privileged lifestyle we live !

Today I used the small concrete pads I bought yesterday in Penticton to level the wood frame base for the shed. I need to buy some gravel to complete the levelling. Joanne baked a pumpkin pie ( from scratch, of course ) early in the day, and the rest of Thanksgiving dinner late in the afternoon. In the evening I did some "drafting work, sketching out our yard, home, and shed layout to submit for shed placement approval.

Tuesday ; Sunny and warm. Made some great candied salmon in the Sun Oven today.

Wednesday ; Daniel's 58th Birthday

Another lovely, sunny and warm fall day. Happy Birthday to me !

My birthday treat to myself was a "lazy" day. This morning Joanne prepared a Black Forest Cherry Torte batter for a birthday cake for me. I baked it in the Sun Oven. Excellent ! We went for a long walk with Bo around the RV park, enjoying the lovely fall weather. We played in the dog park. We read ... and we snoozed in the middle of the afternoon. We played in the dog park again. We gave Bo a bath.

While I had a long chat on the phone with my sister, Joanne prepared my birthday "dream" supper. Caesar salad, my favourite spaghetti with meat sauce recipe, and my birthday cake. MMMMM ... thank you very much, my dear. We watched Survivor while we ate supper.

Yeah ... I'm a year older ... but life is good.

Thursday ; Another sunny and warm day. Likely the last one. Joanne prepared and baked an apple cake in the Sun Oven this morning. I baked a loaf of bread in the Sun Oven this afternoon. Both the cake and the bread are for my sister's visit tomorrow.

We trimmed Bo's and Sully's claws. Sully behaved as if he was being tortured < rolling eyes >. I wonder what the neighbours thought we were doing ? ! I did some pre-travel maintenance on the trailer. This evening I filleted a large Sockeye Salmon our next door neighbour gave to us recently. WOW ... nice fish ! I hope Sharon and Bud like it !

Friday ; our 38th wedding anniversary

Today was cloudy and mild.

At 1 PM my sister and brother-in-law arrived. WOO-HOO ! Their first visit here ! Sharon and Bud had to get up at 3 AM CDT to catch a 7 AM flight out of Winnipeg, arriving in Kelowna about 9:30 AM PDT. My brother Russell met them at the airport, and gave them his car to drive here to visit us. They were pretty tired upon arrival ! It would be an understatement to say that they are not travellers. We had a wonderful afternoon and evening of visiting.

Shortly after their arrival ... a truck showed up with a shed. One of the two sheds on their way here from Home Depot. I was not pleased that this shed showed up unexpectedly. And before I could determine whether this was the right shed or the wrong shed ... the truck driver and I showed one another some "attitude", and I ... < ahem > ... refused to accept the shipment ... right shed or not ! I'll sort that out next week ! ! !

Sharon and Bud slept in our park model home. Joanne and I, and Bo and Sully, went to sleep in the trailer on lot 89.

Saturday ; Cloudy and mild again.

How can it be that when we moved out of the trailer 2½ months ago everything was in perfect condition, and now we move back in for one night only to discover two malfunctions / problems requiring repair ? ! ?

We continued our excellent visit with Sharon and Bud until early afternoon. Joanne prepared a picnic lunch for them ( my candied salmon as the main course ) and we drove into Keremeos with them to shop at a couple of local fruit & produce stands. I ran an errand in town while Joanne shopped with them at Mariposa Orchards, then I met them at Parson's for more shopping ... and mostly to take photos of the excellent fall produce displays at Parson's.

We said goodbye to them at Parson's and they departed for Kelowna where they will visit with my brother until they head back to Winnipeg Monday morning.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment