Sunday, December 2, 2012

November 25 to December 1, 2012

Sunday ; Well ... still sunny and very warm !

This morning I baked a superb loaf of bread in the Sun Oven. This afternoon we cooked a beef roast for supper in the Sun Oven. We had injected it with Louisiana Gem marinade before cooking. WOW ... the roast was great !

I did a Bo-gility session. Well done, Bo ! I set up "International Long Distance" calling on our U.S. cell phone. You wouldn't think it would be necessary to do that, would you ? ! ?
I spent much of the afternoon "gardening". I removed the cacti in our gardens that did not survive the summer, including the plantings I did behind our back yard fence in the dog park. I trimmed / pruned as necessary. I cleaned a large area of the dog park behind our yard of scruffy growth of desert grasses and weeds. It must have been a "good summer" because the dog park is very overgrown with scruffy growth of grasses and weeds, including a lot of Devil's Claw / Horse Crippler plants, usually considered quite "rare".

Using expanding foam sealant I sealed inside the kitchen cupboard where the mouse entered. Geeeeez, that stuff is difficult to work with ! I've used it three or four times in my life, and I don't seem to be getting any better at it ! I posted my weekly journal to my blog. We went to the ice cream social. Afterwards I watched the final hour of the Grey Cup, Canada's championship football game. We had our wonderful roast beef dinner. We closed / covered the swimming pool and hot tub, a job I volunteered us for this week. We watched Amazing Race. I prepared a "smoked" candied marinade for our last two salmon fillets.

Monday ; I put the marinated salmon fillets in the Sun Oven this morning before we headed to The Foothills for some shopping errands. Went to three carport & awning manufacturing companies before I found the fascia moulding insert that I needed to replace what was damaged on our Arizona room roof during a recent storm. Went to the "new" Fry's store for groceries. I always buy a package of take home sushi freshly made by the in-store sushi chefs. MMMMM ! After grocery shopping we went to look at some old RV's at a couple of the "park & hope" sale lots.

Back at home we had lunch, then I went to nap briefly with Sully. Joanne and Bo went for a walk with Carol Mae and Dulce. I did some minor maintenance and home improvement project work. Joanne did some laundry. We went on our regular daily pack walk in the dog park. Six dogs today ! I shopped online for a laptop computer. Didn't buy one ! Cyber Monday specials are nowhere near as good as "shop in person" Black Friday specials.

Late in the afternoon we discovered a crying kitten under our next door neighbour's bush. Likely feral ! We put out a bowl of cat food. It ate that quickly. We put out a bowl of water. It came within about three feet of Joanne. Hopefully we'll be able to capture it eventually.

After supper we went to Wal-Mart for a few grocery items, then the Bank of America ATM to get some cash for dental work and some shopping in Mexico on Wednesday, then the other Fry's store to look for an advertised special that was out of stock in The Foothills store. This Fry's store didn't have it either.

Tuesday ; This morning I removed the truck tires' hub caps, wheel liners, and valve extenders in preparation for a tire rotation service on Thursday. I polished shoes. Walking in the desert sand in the dog park is hard on shoes. I removed the Direct ( U.S. ) satellite dish from the shed roof and mounted the Star Choice ( Canada ) dish in its place.
I removed the roof moulding insert damaged by the recent storm and installed new replacement moulding insert.

This afternoon I assembled and installed the solar panel kit I purchased recently. It's heavier and larger than I expected a "portable" solar panel assembly would be. It seems to work fine. I need to make some modifications to the trailer's "internal" battery charging system to allow the use of the solar panel system.

No sign of the feral kitten we fed and watered yesterday. Maybe it was just "passing through" ?

Wednesday ; Los Algodones, Baja California, Mexico

Today we remember Toby the cat, who died 8 years ago, while we were WorkCamping at Trout Lodge up in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. WOW ... it doesn't seem that long ago !

This morning we headed for Los Algodones. We had appointments for dental cleanings.
I also had an appointment for a periodontal examination. It was kind of nice going down to Los Algodones this early in the season, before it's crowded and busy. After our dental visits we both got haircuts. By Fabiola, a hairstylist that we have used for a few years now. Five bucks for a haircut for Joanne, three bucks for a haircut and beard trim for me. No extra charge for trimming my eyebrows. HA HA HA ! We walked all the way to the veterinary pharmacy on the outskirts of town to buy some pet medications for a neighbour back home in Keremeos. Then we shopped for a tablecloth. Well ... Joanne shopped for a tablecloth. I shopped for some medications. And we stumbled across ... WOO-HOO ... a new panaderia ! Bought lots of pan dulce.

We went to our favourite little restaurant for a late lunch. MMMMM ! ! ! Tres tacos por Joanne ( uno pescado, uno puerco, uno carne asada ), pollo asado con arroz y frijoles por mi. Very tasty food ! Wonderful grilled green onions on my barbecued chicken.
I asked the restaurant owner how she prepares them. She graciously shared her recipe with me. It was her husband who taught me how to make pollo asado a few years ago.

A bit more unsuccessful shopping for a tablecloth ... I bought a leather belt ... and it was time to head for the border. The line up was the shortest we've ever experienced. We arrived back home at Kofa Ko-op just in time for the daily 4 PM pack walk around the dog park.

Thursday ; This morning we headed to Sears. I dropped off the truck to have the tires rotated. We walked over to thrift shop at Salvation Army and Goodwill. After thrifting we shopped at Dollar Tree nearby and by then the truck was ready. We picked up the truck and drove across the street to the Indoor Marketplace flea market where Joanne bought some Rada knives. Then we went looking for Gonzo's Jewellery ( I kid you not ) where
I dropped off my rings for resizing. Final stop was the 99 Cent Only store. We were back home just in time for the daily pack walk.

The daily pack walk is growing in numbers. Today we were joined by Bo's old friend Spanky. Judy and Terry arrived at Kofa Ko-op around noon today. Welcome back, Judy, Terry, and Spanky. After the pack walk they all came over and visited with us briefly in our Arizona room.

Friday ; Last night I mixed up bread dough for two loaves. This morning I baked two loaves of bread. I had difficulty getting the dough out of the mixing bowls onto the counter and from the counter into the loaf pans. DARN ! I forgot that American flour is different than Canadian flour. And we just ran out of Canadian flour and began using American flour.

Our friends and neighbours from back home at Riverside RV Park Resort, Dave and Joy came over for lunch today. Part of lunch was fresh, hot bread right out of the Sun Oven. Couldn't slice the bread while it was hot. Made a mess of it, although it tasted alright. Also made a mess of my first attempt to replicate the breaded, grilled, green onions we had in Mexico a couple of days ago. Oh, well ... ya win some, ya lose some ! We visited with Dave and Joy over lunch and most of the afternoon.

Saturday ; We wasted the morning squabbling, each making the other hurt and angry
< sigh >.

This afternoon we gave Bo a haircut. And discovered two things. Firstly, his skin is not in as good condition as it should be. Secondly ... and I'm pretty annoyed about this ... he's missing a small piece of one ear. Maybe he shouldn't get involved in dog park squabbles. Which has happened a few times recently. Obviously during one of these "harmless" little squabbles some other dog bit his ear.

We invited two neighbour couples over for "Happy Hour" and treated them to fresh artichokes, some of my Sun Oven dried "smoked" candied salmon, a fresh Sun Oven baked loaf of my bread, and a Sun Oven baked chocolate banana cake baked today by Joanne. MMMMM ... all very good ! Apparently we weren't the only ones squabbling today !

This evening while Joanne went to the clubhouse to see a performance by a local children's choir I worked on setting up and testing our new printer. It's also a scanner and copier. Works fine, but ... it's larger than our existing printer, so ... I think our existing printer will remain in the trailer as our "travel" printer and the new one will become our "home" printer.

Late in the evening we watched the movie "UP" by Disney / Pixar. Not exactly what we expected. And what a sad first ten minutes or so. Joanne hugged me and told me that I've taken her to her Paradise Falls. < sigh > Thank you !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment