Monday, March 11, 2013

March 3 to 9, 2013 ; Yuma, Arizona

Sunday ; Partially overcast and warm.

We have been back here at Kofa Ko-op in Yuma for two days. We've been very busy. And I don't seem to have accomplished much of my urgent priorities. I need to get more focused and organized. And perhaps avoid socializing, although after being away for a couple of months, that's difficult to do. Friends and neighbours want to visit and chat.

I blew a bicycle tire this afternoon. I think bicycle tire tubes have a life expectancy of about one year down here in the brutal desert sun and heat. I helped Peta configure the new laptop computer she bought yesterday. She'll need more help adapting to Windows 8 and transferring from her old computer to her new one over the next few days. We attended the regular Sunday evening ice cream social. We chatted for quite awhile with Barry and Jackie. We watched Amazing Race and then the season premiere of Celebrity Apprentice.

Monday ; Sunny and hot today. AHHHHH !

This morning I finally repaired the freshwater city water inlet system. Permanently ... with the correct parts ! So ... the trailer no longer has a length of various sizes of hoses and clamps and fittings hanging out the side wall like some kind of RV hernia !

This afternoon I was just about to begin washing the truck when the park's water system had to be shut down for a few hours to repair a water main leak. I installed my new printer’s software on my new computer. I finalized arrangements for Thursday’s solar power tour at Arizona Western College. I phoned the vet regarding a prescription order placed and paid for early in December ... and not yet received < fume >. I phoned the American insurance agent of our Mexican vehicle insurer regarding the Guasave accident claim. I wasn’t pleased that all he did was throw hurdles up in my path, and hoops to jump through. Old friends from Maple Leaf Chapter 18 ( Ontario ) moved onto the site across the street today. We had a pleasant “pack walk” around the dog park today. We went out for dinner to a Chinese buffet restaurant with Barry and Jackie who are leaving tomorrow.

Tuesday ; Another sunny, hot day. People are beginning to complain that it's "too hot". Which means, from my perspective ... and Sully's ... that's it's just about perfect !

Joanne spent the entire day out shopping < rolling eyes >. I made some phone calls back to my doctors in BC about scheduling some medical procedures this summer. I paid some bills. I sent some documents to my Mexican insurer. I did some maintenance on the shed. I did some gardening. I replaced a bicycle tire tube. AND ... < insert drum roll here > ... I replaced the first of eight roof top components destroyed in the Guasave underpass accident. The fridge roof top vent was the easiest component to replace. I guess I'm going to replace them in order of easiest to most difficult. After Joanne returned home I washed the truck. Goodbye Mexico road grime. Well ... on the truck ! The trailer is still filthy.

Wednesday ; Still hot and sunny !

Joanne spent much of the day washing the trailer. Thank you, my dear. This morning I did an obedience session with Bo. It's been a long time since we've done an obedience session. It showed. It was almost like "no habla ingles, señor". HA HA HA !

I removed the damaged air conditioner shroud and installed a new one. Easier said than done. Repair two of eight done. I thought there was no damage to the air conditioner itself, but ... I was wrong. Underneath the damaged shroud, the sheet metal at the top front of the air conditioner had abrasion damage. Nothing that a bit of Eternabond couldn't fix !

I did some work on the trailer's converter charger switch that I installed in Teacapan. I discovered that the freshwater city water inlet system rebuild / repair that I completed yesterday ... < sigh > ... was leaking ! And while I repaired that ... again ... I discovered ... < sigh > ... another problem that needed attention.

We went to the Wednesday afternoon Happy Hour / appetizers potluck. Afterwards I went over to continue setting up Peta's new computer. There was a Windows 8 set up problem that took me quite awhile to resolve. In the evening we watched TV and I worked on the computer.

Thursday ; Today started out sunny and warm, but the evening became cloudy and cool.

This morning we headed for Arizona Western College to attend a tour of their very impressive solar power arrays. In December I had arranged this tour for members and guests of Escapees Roadrunners Chapter 7. It was not "advertised" here at Kofa Ko-op until last Sunday evening's ice cream social, so ... attendance today was poor. BUT ... it was a great tour.

Arizona Western College has five separate solar power arrays, each very large, utilizing five different types of solar power technology, owned and operated by five different corporate "partners". They generate enough power to supply all of the college's daytime power requirements, and have surplus to sell to Arizona Power which offsets the cost of the power the college must purchase during darkness hours.

After the tour we ran some shopping errands, and visited briefly with Paul and Kolly, neighbours of ours back home at Riverside RV Park Resort, at their winter home here in Yuma. We had a message to pass on to them from another neighbour.

On the way home we stopped at an RV dealer to look at a cheap, old Class C motorhome they had for sale. Piece of junk ! We had lunch at home and I went out to run more errands. When I returned home I helped Joanne finish cleaning the front of the trailer. We had an early supper then headed downtown to Historic Yuma Theater for their monthly "foreign art film" night. We saw "Found Memories", a Portuguese film made in Brazil. I didn't get it. Joanne said there was nothing to "get", it was a "foreign art film". Yeah ... I still don’t get it ! But it was nice to have a “date night”.

Friday ; BRRRRR ! Cold, windy, rainy ! End of winter ! Going to be sunny and hot starting on Sunday.

After being very impressed with the Mexican insurance company when I contacted them the day after my underpass accident in Guasave a month ago, I am not so impressed with their American agent here in the United States. I spoke to him on the phone today.

I phoned MasterCard today and verified that the three fraudulent transactions charged in Montreal
recently to Joanne's U.S.$ MasterCard have been resolved, and that they have sent a new card for Joanne to here.

Joanne went out shopping for most of the day. I reinstalled the freshwater city water inlet that is now no longer leaking ... I hope. I finished repairing and reinstalling a trailer side marker light. 

I crawled underneath the trailer and did some preliminary work to prepare for having the broken step mounting bracket welded.

When I went to check our mailbox in the clubhouse lobby ... WOO-HOO ... there was a SkilSaw on the bargain table. That will come in handy in a couple of months when I'm building a shed on our new lot at Riverside RV Park Resort.

In the evening I did some online financial work.

Saturday ; The weather varied today, from sunny and warm to cloudy, windy and cold.

This morning we went shopping. I dropped Joanne off at Goodwill Thrift Shop ... 50% off everything today ... and I went to Sears to exchange a broken tool, then to Yuma Indoor Marketplace to pick up the two Extreme Vents I had ordered, then to Pep Boys to buy a fiberglass repair kit. I returned to Goodwill, parked and went inside to find Joanne. The place was a mad house ! And there was my .... obviously pissed off wife ! Somebody had taken the shopping cart she had been using. With the items she was purchasing. But most importantly ... it had her pretty little notepad folder sitting in it. With important paperwork inside. She was annoyed ! She had searched and searched for it prior to my arrival, and then we both searched for it. The notepad folder was either in somebody's purse or pocket by then, or tossed somewhere in the store, on a shelf or maybe even in a garbage can. It was hopeless. We left. She's mad ! There's a moral in there somewhere ... but I'm not stupid enough to suggest it in writing. HA HA HA !

In the afternoon we went to visit with Rick and Debbie, friends and neighbours of ours back home at Riverside RV Park Resort. They are passing through Yuma on their way home from their second winter in Mexico. Their winter down there didn't seem much better than ours, in many respects. The back of Rick's head is filled with stitches from a fall he took in Puerto Vallarta recently. And one of their rig's slide outs won't come out due to a broken cable. And they also had multiple tire problems.

As we were finishing supper Hans came over to tell us that Siemen had just escaped / "run away from home" again. We turned on a light in our Arizona room, and propped the doors open slightly, hoping that Siemen would eventually come over here and enter "his" Arizona room.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment