Sunday, April 7, 2013

March 31 to April 6, 2013

Easter Sunday ; Still sunny and hot. This morning I did an obedience session with Bo before climbing up onto the trailer roof to continue doing resealing / repairs to the many long cracks in the edge of the trailer's roof on the south side. Some of that cracking might be due to hitting a lot of low hanging trees while driving on a tree lined boulevard in Culiacan, Mexico a couple of months ago.

Immediately after having lunch we left to go shopping at Arizona Market Place, the nearby large flea market. Usually at the end of March many vendors are selling their wares deeply discounted, some as much as fifty percent off. Not this year ! We walked throughout the entire market and bought only a few items. We bumped into our friends Lynn and Micha while shopping. I refilled Lanoire with diesel on our way home. The price of diesel continues to decline.

After returning home I got up on the trailer roof again to continue working on repairs. I finished repairing the cracks ... I think. We went to the Sunday early evening ice cream social. Not many people left in the park. We visited with a couple that will be working this summer in Omak, Washington, not very far from us in Keremeos, BC.

We had a late supper while watching Amazing Race. Joanne made a Moroccan stew in the Sun Oven. OH ... discard that new recipe !

Monday ; Very ill today with cold / flu ... or ? Spent almost entire day in bed sleeping and occasionally reading a bit. Got up briefly to be sociable for dinner with Joanne's friend Eilene.

Tuesday ; Still very ill with strange cold / flu like illness. Somehow managed to muster up enough energy late in the afternoon to get out of bed and climb up on trailer to wash roof, a long overdue annual task that I hate and have been procrastinating doing. Roof repairs were good excuse to procrastinate. In hindsight ... shouldn't have attempted this job at this time. Too sick !

Wednesday ; Finally managed to get a hold of a*****e American claims agent of Mexican insurance company. Have been trying for a month ! ! ! Hope the a*****e reads my blog so he knows what I think of him !

Still pretty ill. Discovered a slow leak in a truck tire so ... < sigh > ... with assistance from Joanne
I changed the tire. After lunch we drove to Pep Boys to get the tire fixed. They refused to fix the tire claiming that it was "too worn" to be fixed. How convenient. I wonder if it would have been "too worn" if I hadn't been using a voucher for a free tire repair ? ! ? Not to worry. This is Yuma, Arizona. I drove to Angel's Llantera. Angel ( pronounced ANN HELL ) is a Mexican, obviously. There's no such thing as a tire that's "too worn" from Angel's perspective. BUT ... he was unable to find a leak in the tire. HMMMM ... must be the valve extender that's leaking. I will check the tire's pressure again tomorrow, and if there's no change, then I'll install the valve extender and check it again a day later.

Carol Mae just came by ( at 4 PM ) to advise me ... with tears in her eyes ... that the six puppies we rescued and took to the Humane Society on Saturday have been euthanized. You mean ... I've got three bite wounds for nothing ? ! ? < sigh > Oh, well ... at least they didn't die a slow death of dehydration out in the desert.

Because I'm ill my plans for the last few days have been altered, including today's planned trip to Los Algodones has been postponed. SO ... our departure date will also have to be postponed. We were planning to leave Yuma on Sunday, but now it will be Monday at the earliest, maybe even later.

By supper time I had received, by e-mail, the insurance claim amount that the Mexican insurance company will be paying us for the Guasave accident damages. It's ... generous ! Too bad their American agent is such an a*****e !

For supper I cooked some of the lovely scallops we got in Kino Bay, Mexico. Holy mackerel ... chef Gordon Ramsay would not approve ! They were the texture of ... according to my wife ... like chewing on pantyhose waistband. HMPH ... I wouldn’t know. I’ve never chewed on pantyhose waistband. Well ... at least not since the early 70’s ! HA HA HA ! Fortunately, Sully loooooves rubbery scallops. HA HA HA HA HA !

Thursday ; Getting tired of being ill !

This morning we went shopping to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Today all clothing items were one dollar. Bought a bunch of shirts and shorts.

This afternoon I remounted the spare tire under the truck, and reinstalled the valve extenders, wheel liner, and hub cap on the recently changed tire. I determined that the slow leak was caused by a malfunctioning valve extension.

In the evening I prepared the documents I need to send to the Mexican insurance company to get my claim paid.

I'm frustrated by my current low energy level and lack of stamina.

Friday ; My cold / flu ... or whatever it is ... has progressed, from a head cold to a chest cold. That's actually an improvement. No more headache, stuffy sinuses, etc. And I feel less weak.

This morning we headed to The Foothills to run shopping errands. Priority was the last visit of the season to Al's RV Service & Supplies on their final 15% off day of the season. Next stop was the Post Office to buy postage and send mail to the Mexican insurance company. Hope there's a cheque waiting for us when we get home at the end of the month. We stopped at a "park & hope" sales lot to look at a few old park models for sale. We're beginning to collect ideas for the future of our lot here at Kofa Ko-op. Final stop in The Foothills area was Fry's where I sat in the customer lounge and used free Wi-Fi while Joanne shopped for groceries. As is often the case the Wi-Fi at Kofa Ko-op has been unusable for the last few days.

From The Foothills we drove west on Interstate 8 all the way across Yuma and across the Colorado River into California. WOO-HOO ... date shakes at Sun Gardens in Bard ! After a morning of being left to wait repeatedly in a hot truck, Bo was very excited about date shakes ! After having our final date shakes of the season for lunch we bought some dates to take home as gifts. And some "munchies" for the road !

Back at home, after a brief nap, I used the new back flush valve device I bought today to back flush the kitchen and bathroom grey tanks. Joanne began the arduous task of sorting and packing for departure. Thus winter we bought much more to take home than we usually do ; large TV, printer, large propane tank, solar panels, tools, lots of "home accessories" for our new park model home back at Riverside RV Park Resort in Keremeos. Don't know how / where we're going to pack it all to get it home !

Saturday ; Another in a long string of sunny, hot days.

It was our hope this morning that I would have sufficient strength and stamina to be able to go to Los Algodones, a trip postponed from Wednesday. We did some easy morning chores, had an early lunch at home, then headed off to Mexico.

It was a long, hot, tiring afternoon. With a long line up to get back across the border into the US. Spring break ! Damn ! We started by walking all the way through town to Safari Veterinary Farmacia to buy some heartworm medication for Bo. Whew ! Hot and dusty, long walk through town. Bought a Diet Coke to drink in one direction, and a Mirinda ( like Orange Crush ) in the other direction. Went for haircuts. Our regular hairstylist, Fabiola, only works Monday to Friday, so today we had haircuts by Maribel. Five dollars for a haircut for Joanne, three dollars for a haircut, beard trim, and eyebrow trim for me. Why are men's haircuts cheaper ? Found a new panaderia. Bought some pan dulce, but not much as we will be at a panaderia in Holtville in a few days when we leave Yuma, probably on Monday. Joanne bought some of her favourite Zuko drink mixes, like a Mexican version of Kool-Aid or Crystal Light, I guess. We bought lots of Mexican chocolate bars and a bottle of rompope ( Mexican egg cream liqueur, kind of like Bailey's ), the nut flavoured version that Joanne prefers.

The line up at the border was 45 minutes. Seemed a lot longer than that, thanks to the obnoxious drunk from Alabama behind us in line. Bo, if I were you, I’d hide the fact that I was from Alabama. Nothing but rednecks and drunks, sometimes one and the same. We drove back to Yuma, stopping at Rally’s for a milkshake on our way to Albertson’s to do some grocery shopping. WOW ... sirloin steaks, buy one get two free. Good deal ! Got a freezer full of steaks now !

Back at home I did some trip planning before cooking myself some scallops over pasta for supper. No more scallops for Joanne ! Once was enough for her ! My attempt at cooking scallops today was better than the last one, my first time cooking scallops, but ... still not up to chef Gordon Ramsay’s standards yet.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment