Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 9 to 15, 2013

Sunday ; Sunny and warm today.

After our "weekender" next door neighbours left to return to their home in the Lower Mainland / Vancouver area I went into their fifth wheel trailer, removed the "temporary" plumbing repair that
I had done on Friday evening, and did an excellent quality "permanent" repair. My Friday evening temporary repair was leaking into the pass through storage compartment underneath the bathroom floor. Sorry ! But, hey ... it got them through the weekend !

A few months ago while replacing the Guasave accident damaged skylight in our trailer's bathroom ceiling I discovered dry rot in and above the ceiling. I've now started work on removing / rebuilding / replacing the trailer's bathroom ceiling. It's a big job that intimidates me ! It's my main project for June.

I also started work on rebuilding one of the two bedroom sisal cabinets that Joanne bought at a yard sale yesterday. She failed to notice that one of the cabinets was damaged, with cracks in the wood, probably from somebody falling against the cabinet.

Monday ; Sunny and warm today. Mosquitoes still very bad.

This morning Joanne learned that one of our neighbours has breast cancer. She went over to visit, to provide moral support. She and I both know that a cancer diagnosis and battle make for a very scary time.

We gave Bo a bath. We trimmed Bo's and Sully's claws. Sully screamed loudly in protest which is an indication of his very good health. Howl away, Sully, it makes me smile to see you healthy enough to scream loudly like that.

I worked on the trailer bathroom ceiling project. I'm still intimidated.

Tuesday ; Today was sunny and warm. Or so we thought ... until we were driving home from Penticton around supper time.

We spent the day running errands in Penticton. I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of panelling for the bathroom ceiling project. About halfway home we saw that the sky looked grey and rainy ahead. We stopped and covered the panelling with a tarp. Between Twin Lakes and Keremeos it began to rain. By the time we got home to Riverside RV Park Resort it was pouring ! And the temperature had decreased from 72 in Penticton to 48 at home ! BRRRRR !

Wednesday ; Cloudy, cool, and intermittent drizzle. Forecast for more of the same for most of the next couple of weeks.

Today I did a bit of work on two projects ; refurbishing one of the two sisal cabinets Joanne recently purchased at a garage sale, and the trailer bathroom ceiling replacement.

Thursday ; Cloudy, cool, and intermittent rain, sometimes heavy. Joanne went to Kelowna today with a neighbour, to provide moral support and an extra set of ears at the neighbour's appointment with her new oncologist. The neighbour had breast cancer surgery a couple of months ago, and now it's time for radiation and chemotherapy.

I continued working on refurbishing one of the sisal cabinets Joanne recently bought. And
I continued working on the trailer bathroom ceiling project. I didn't accomplish much on either project. But ... me and the boys had a great nap after lunch. HA HA HA !

Friday ; Today was mostly sunny and mild. Got a lot more done today than yesterday.

First project was changing a rear tire on the truck. I hate changing tires on the truck, especially on the rear ! I decided to move the worst condition tire on the truck to the spare position. And perhaps it was a good thing that I did. Not only was it the worst condition tire on the truck, I found a large cut on the inner sidewall, Mexican road damage no doubt. I need seven new truck tires ... soon.

I continued working on the refurbishment of one of the two sisal cabinets that Joanne recently bought at a yard sale. And I finally completed that job. As I type this late in the evening Joanne is working on the cabinet, using a stain touch up stick.

I got quite a bit of work done on the trailer bathroom ceiling replacement project today. And
I injured myself in the process. With help from Joanne, today I tackled the phase of the project that scared me the most ; cutting out the existing ceiling. It went ... < shrug > ... okay. The sky didn't fall. After cutting out the ceiling was finished, Joanne left to go have a discussion with a neighbour. I continued puttering around with the job and ... OW, OW, OW, OW, OW ... got something in my eye ! A tiny fragment of wood, no doubt, although it felt large. The pain was severe.

I drove myself home to lot 4 from lot 89. I rinsed my eye in the shower. And rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. I couldn't get it out. And it hurt ! In desperation I phoned the neighbour and asked Joanne to come home and help me. I lay on the bed while she repeatedly rinsed my eye with eye drop solution, and tried to clean out underneath my upper and lower eyelids with a cotton swab. The pain was ... pretty bad ! I was just about ready to concede defeat and head to the hospital emergency ward. Finally, and suddenly ... poof ... it rinsed out ! The relief was immediate ! For the rest of the day my eye felt irritated ... like it was scratched.

And following my life long practice of shutting the barn door after the horse is gone, I continued working on the trailer ceiling, now wearing my rarely worn safety glasses. DUH !

Saturday ; Sunny and mild today, forecast to be the last one for a couple of weeks.

Joanne spent the day shopping in Penticton. I worked on the trailer bathroom ceiling project.
I cleaned all the dry rot out of the ceiling wood, and treated the damaged areas with a ... dry rot treatment product. I borrowed a jig saw and cut the new section of ceiling out of the 4' x 8' sheet of panelling I bought recently. I also helped a neighbour finish up the installation of new steps on another neighbour's new park model.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment