Sunday, October 27, 2013

October 20 to 26, 2013

Sunday ; And the lovely fall weather continues !

We spent much of today visiting with many neighbours, much of it due to the lovely weather. People were spending time outdoors getting fall work done. We went to see a neighbour who is leaving tomorrow to have cancer surgery, to extend our best wishes to her. Then as we ambled back towards our home we chatted with neighbours who are leaving tomorrow for their first "Snowbird" journey south for the winter. We offered advice based on the wisdom of nine years of experience. We took Bo to the dog park and chatted with a neighbour in the dog park. We chatted with neighbours as they walked around the park enjoying the weather as they exercise.

We spent the evening watching TV ; Battle Of The Blades, Amazing Race, and Downton Abbey. WOO-HOO !

Monday ; Another beautiful fall day, sunny and mild.

This afternoon we took Bo to the dog park. Other neighbours and their dogs were already there. We visited and chatted, I played "fetch" with all the dogs. After the dogs and I were tired of playing fetch I sat down in a lawn chair and joined the socializing. Most of the dogs lay down in the sun. Except for Bo. Not Bo. NOOOOOO ! ! !

Suddenly a neighbour shouted at me that there was some sort of "commotion" at the other end of the dog park. Of course ... Bo was involved ! He was snapping and twirling and ... saliva seemed to be flying around his face. Holy **** ... snake saliva ! I ran over there to find Bo twirling and snapping at a medium sized snake that was coiled up in the grass, tongue lashing out furiously at Bo, snake saliva flying around. I grabbed Bo and checked him out. Except for snake saliva all over his chin, he seemed okay.

Now I had to determine whether or not it was a Rattlesnake. It looked like a Rattlesnake. It's tongue was striking out like a Rattlesnake. Saliva was still flying around. It was curled up defensively in a tight ball, and I needed to see its tail. Fortuitously I had been wearing work gloves when Joanne invited me to join her and Bo on a walk to the dog park. I was still wearing work gloves. I reached down, and the angry and scared snake now began to tongue lash and fling saliva at me. I moved it around a bit and was able to see there was no rattle on the tail. It was just a Bull / Gopher Snake. Looks like a Rattlesnake. Acts like a Rattlesnake. Harmless !

Geeeeeezzzzz, Bo ... if that had been a Rattlesnake, you'd be dead now ! I carefully grabbed the snake behind its head, picked it up and flung it out of the dog park into the adjacent forest. Bo seemed very pleased with himself. What a dolt ! I had to wipe snake saliva off his chin !

Tuesday ; Still beautiful weather.

Got up early this morning, was driven into Keremeos by next door neighbour. Picked up truck at
K Mountain Auto Repair. Picked up prescriptions at Pharmasave. Headed to Penticton. Clear blue sky until approaching Kaleden, then sudden thick fog. Ceiling zero, visibiltiy zero. How odd.

Dropped Joanne at thrift store and went to Canadian Tire for wheel alignment. After wheel alignment met Joanne at shopping mall. Ran errands, went for lunch, and after lunch sky began to slowly clear. By mid-afternoon fog had burned off and sky had cleared. Okay to go flying ! WOO-HOO ! Finished running errands, Joanne dropped me off at airport where I met neighbours Dave and Betty.

Dan Air flight 415 ; took off from Penticton and flew to Oliver, did a touch and go landing at Oliver Airport, flew from Oliver to Osoyoos, did a stop and go landing at Osoyoos Airport, flew over Spotted Lake. What an astounding view from above ! Flew back to Penticton, executed a perfect landing "on the numbers". Last flight until next spring, I guess.

Wednesday ; Still lovely weather.

I went to see my doctor this morning to get prescription refills. It seemed as if half the residents of our RV park were in the clinic today. All the Snowbirds need to get their prescriptions refilled before departing for six months. And everybody is leaving within the next week or so.

We spent the afternoon working on a series of indoor and outdoor fall chores. We were invited over for dinner by our neighbours Betty and Dave.

Thursday ; Sunny but getting cool. Today was a routine day of routine chores. The Bigfoot camper for sale in Denver, Colorado that we were interested in seeing has sold.

< sigh > I threw out my binoculars today. The focus adjusting mechanism broke. I won those binoculars 45 years ago in a newspaper carrier contest. I suppose I got my money's worth out of them. HA HA HA !

Friday ; Still sunny, but a bit chilly. Spent much of today on our "new wills" project, a job that is larger than I had anticipated. More "fussy" logistics details than I had anticipated. Continued working on "fall pre-departure" list of things to do. Joanne went to visit neighbour who is now back at home following cancer surgery. All is as well as can be expected.

HEY ! ! ! My computer, with Windows 8, has voice recognition. Who knew ? ! ? "Start listening ... go to documents ".

Saturday ; Sunny but cool.

Went into Keremeos this morning to run some errands. While Joanne went to the grocery store
I went to the Post Office, then the pharmacy to pick up more prescription refills.

Spent the afternoon doing more fall pre-departure chores and shopping online for a truck camper. We hope to view a few truck campers for sale as we travel south.

Trimmed dogs' nails for two neighbours. HMPH ! On the first dog I clipped a nail too short, hit the quick, made it bleed ... did that twice ! On the second dog, I did that once. Not very impressive !

Joanne cooked a belated "Thanksgiving" turkey dinner tonight. MMMMM ! ! ! Afterwards we watched Raising Arizona, one of the Coen brothers' quirky movies done about twenty-five years ago or so.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment