Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 12 to 18, 2014

Sunday ; Sunny and very warm, another gorgeous Yuma winter day. HA HA HA !

This morning we went to the Indoor Market Place, a more "upscale" flea market than Arizona Market Place or Yuma Park N Swap. Joanne wanted to buy some of her beloved Rada knives for Elsie the truck camper. I wanted to buy a new fanny pack. The fanny pack that I like comes from a vendor in the Indoor Market Place. The fanny packs I buy only have a one year life, but ... they only cost eight bucks, so ... I buy a new one every year. After the Indoor Market Place we headed for Harbor Freight Tools where
I wanted to buy an item that was on sale this weekend. Joanne waited in the truck because I was going in for only one item. HA ! Not likely ! It's Harbor Freight ! HA HA HA !

This afternoon I completed the truck bumper repair. I masked and painted the now repaired corner of the truck bumper. It's imperfect, as amateur auto body repair always is, but Lanoire is no longer a "spring chicken" so to speak, and this auto body repair is as good as any I've ever done. And certainly a lot better than just leaving a big chunk gouged out of the corner of the bumper.

Our next door neighbour, who's not much of a "dog person", was dog sitting another neighbour's dog, Domino the Boston Terrier. Domino and Bo are dog park / pack walk buddies, so we took Domino on the pack walk with us today.

Late this afternoon Carol Mae came over to discuss some Humane Society fund raising ideas she had. She's ill with a cold.

Tonight we attended the regular Sunday evening ice cream social. Each Sunday at the ice cream social Joanne buys a ticket on the weekly 50 / 50 draw. Tonight Joanne's ticket won. WOO-HOO ! Thirty five bucks ! We chatted with a couple from Ontario, Canada that are new full time RV'ers and new arrivals here at Kofa Ko-op and Yuma, Arizona. After the ice cream social we had a very late supper while watching Downton Abbey.


Monday ; Still the same ... sunny and very warm.

This afternoon I continued working on installing the Wave 6 catalytic infrared radiant heater in Elsie. I had to drill a hole through the back of the propane tank compartment and through a cupboard to get the propane hose to the heater. The job did not go as smoothly as I would have liked, but ... it could have been a lot worse, given the nature of what I was doing. All that is left now is to leak test all the propane fittings and connections, and test fire the heater.

This afternoon I went to my first ... and definitely my last ... geneology class here in the Kofa Ko-op clubhouse. To me, "class" implies ... teacher, students, teacher imparts educational information of value to students. This class was a 45 minute waste of my time. Old women gabbing and bitching. A teacher not "teaching" ! And ... I don't think
I have enough patience or interest to do geneological research.

This evening we had our new friends Bill and Lynn over for supper. They are leaving Kofa Ko-op and Yuma tomorrow morning, heading for Quartzsite. Joanne prepared Chicken Chile Verde for supper, cooked in the Sun Oven, as was the rice that went along with it. Lynn baked cookies for dessert. MMMMM ! ! ! Rather unusually, Sully cuddled up against Lynn on the sofa. How odd ... he's NEVER friendly towards strangers.

Tuesday ; Weather is ... you know !

This morning I decided that my heater installation in the truck camper needs ... revision. I was bothered by one component of the installation and this morning figured out a better way to do it. I will need to buy some more propane brass fittings and remount the heater about 5/8 of an inch lower on the wall than it currently is. Lots of "undo" and "redo" work, but ... I think "Plan B" will result in a safer installation.

I took two of my three watches to the Watch Hospital today. My Dad's retirement "gold watch", a Bulova Accutron needs a minor repair. It will cost twenty bucks. Okay ! My Rolex needs a cleaning and adjustment. It's running a teensy bit fast. It will cost ... WHAT ? ! ? Six hundred bucks for a cleaning and adjustment ? ? ? ! ! ! HMPH ! Maybe it's time to sell the Rolex ? ! ?

This afternoon we went to the Humane Society for our weekly volunteer work as dog walker and cat cuddler. I started my shift by ... getting bit by Otto ! ****ing little ****head Chihuahua ! That sharp little tooth went pretty deeply into the back of my thumb ! ****ing little ****head Chihuahua ! ! !

Wednesday ; Los Algodones, Baja California, Mexico


This morning my dog bite appeared infected. Great ! Just what I needed ! ! ! I started taking Cipro, an antibioitic.

This morning I set up the Sun Oven and put in some marinated salmon. When we returned from Mexico late in the afternoon ... voilà ... Sun Oven dried, maple syrup glazed candied salmon. Well ... it wasn't maple syrup glazed when we got home ... but it was soon thereafter.

After an early lunch we headed for Mexico. I got a haircut and beard trim ... four bucks ! We bought some Amoxicillin ... one dollar for twenty- four tablets ! The border crossing line up back into the U.S. was very long ... < sigh >. It's January ! BUT ... the length of today's line up would have been a three hour wait a couple of years ago. Today ... WOW ... thirty-five minutes. Great improvement ! Amazing what a bit of "political will" can accomplish !

We attended the regular Wednesday late afternoon Happy Hour / Social Hour and heavy appetizers potluck.

Thursday ; Joanne spent the day shopping again. Alone, thankfully !

I spent the afternoon removing, repositioning, and remounting the Wave 6 catalytic heater in Elsie the truck camper. Then I did some auto body work on the bumper of George and Betty's motorhome.

In the evening I went to a jazz concert. Tonight was the first of about a dozen weekly free jazz concerts in the courtyard of Yuma Palms Shopping Center. Tonight's performers were Yuma Jazz Band. Big band sound ! Joanne went with Carol Mae and Larry to a fund raiser event for the Humane Society, a trained bird show at The Palms RV Park.

Friday ; Happy 15th Birthday to Joannes niece Madeleine

This morning we headed to The Foothills where we ran a variety of errands until it was time to go for lunch at the home of our friends Lynn and Micha, and their dog Gypsy. We spent the afternoon visiting with them.

Saturday ; Still sunny and very warm.

Recently I've been working on repairing some minor damage on the corner of the bumper of the Class A motorhome belonging to our neighbours / friends George and Betty. Today should have been the final step of the repair ; painting it. This afternoon
I painted it and ... the finished result was ... absolutely terrible ! I'm very embarrassed.
I will have to sand it down, and start over. < sigh > George and Betty are leaving tomorrow for a week, and just as they return, Joanne and I will be leaving for a week. So ... < sigh > ... it will be at least two weeks before I can start the job over.

Today we had a new dog join our daily pack walk. Our neighbours / friends Tom and Pat have a new beagle, named Lola. She has separation anxiety, and manifests it by howling when left alone, and ... eating the upholstery in the truck. Not funny ! I've offered my dog knowledge and skills to help Lola overcome her separation anxiety.

This afternoon I finished the installation of the Wave 6 catalytic infrared radiant heater in the truck camper. WOO-HOO ! Finally ! It's about time ! I also installed a new smoke and carbon monoxide detector.

I finally got around to opening the "scratch & dent" / demo model / test model Sun Oven I recently ordered and received. It's the same as our existing Sun Oven, and that's now a "non-current" model. Sun Oven was selling these "scratch & dent" / demo model / test model units at a greatly reduced price. However, the "scratch & dent" / demo model / test model unit that I received and unpacked today is ... none of the above ! It's a perfectly brand new, never been out of the box unit !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment