Sunday, August 17, 2014

August 10 to 16, 2014

Sunday ; Sunny and hot. This afternoon Joanne cooked supper in the Sun Oven again, but ... as the afternoon progressed, the temperature in the Sun Oven kept declining slowly. The sun was increasingly obscured by haze, probably forest fire smoke. At night, the haze / smoke descended so that it was hazy / foggy / smoky right at ground level.

Some bugs or something are eating my heirloom tomatoes on the vine !

This afternoon I did an inspection on the truck, and prepared for our two trailer delivery and winterization jobs tomorrow. Joanne did laundry. We gave Bo a bath.

Around supper time I went fishing for about an hour and a half, on a section of the Similkameen River I had not fished before. HMPH ... no fish again. Even the Bald Eagle fishing over the river right in front of me was having no luck ! Where have all the Rainbow Trout gone ? ! ? I caught fish pretty regularly in July, but have been unsuccessful for the past couple of weeks or so. I started fishing at our RV park's "beach" just outside the gate that leads from our RV park into Crown Land. The river has slowed and the level has dropped, so I wandered and roamed as I fished, eventually walking completely across the river at an area where the maximum depth was between three and four feet. HMPH ... should have taken the dog biscuits out of my pocket before I walked across the river ! HA HA HA ... doofus !

Monday ; Still sunny and hot. Today was a LOOOOONG, hot, hard day of work.

We left home at 9 AM heading for Penticton. In Penticton we winterized a client's trailer, and drove it, and the client's mini-van to a storage yard in Osoyoos. We drove back to Oliver for a late picnic lunch, then returned to Penticton to repeat the process. We winterized a second trailer and drove it to the same storage yard in Osoyoos, finishing about 7 PM. We were too tired to drive home and make supper, so we took Bo for a walk in his ( inexplicably ) favourite park, then had a fast food dinner in Osoyoos before driving home. We arrived home at 9 PM. WHEW ... a twelve hour day ! But ... a lucrative one !

Tuesday ; Smoky / hazy, very warm, humid / muggy.

Early this afternoon we headed into Keremeos to run some errands and have lunch at Samosa Garden, the Indian buffet restaurant attached to Sanderson Farms fruit stand. MMMMM ... good lunch !

This afternoon we trimmed Bo's and Sully's claws. What a lot of overreaction ! "AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH ... he's killing us ! ! !" In the evening we watched Amazing Race Canada and I worked at my desk on Similkameen Trailer Towing accounting and planning.

Wednesday ; Rain during the night, mostly overcast today, warm ... heat wave finally over ?

Slept very late ! Removed the ball hitch and the fifth wheel hitch from the truck, put away all the trailer towing and winterization supplies. Did an obedience session with the dog. Well done, Bo, good dog !

Around supper time I went fishing ... again. Hiked about fifteen minutes upstream ... walking in the river ... to the next door neighbour's favourite fishing spot, where he taught me to fly fish last year. Fished for an hour and a half.

Hooked eight fish !  < blink blink >

Lost two of them. < scowl >

Released one that was too small. 

BROUGHT HOME MY LEGAL DAILY LIMIT OF FIVE RAINBOW TROUT ! ! !

The largest one, the largest Rainbow Trout I've ever seen, I had to "play" for fifteen minutes until it was tired enough to be brought to the net.

WOOOOOOOOOO - HOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! Maybe I have finally learned how to fly fish "finesse" Rainbow Trout ! ? !

The last time I succeeded in catching my legal daily limit of fish was ... < thinking > ... about thirty years ago ! So ... tonight was pretty exciting for me !


 
Thursday ; Yeah ... heat wave is over ! Today was cloudy and warm with a bit of light rain in the afternoon.

This morning I repaired the truck's muffler. This afternoon Joanne packed three pieces of freshly made peach pie and we went over to visit our neighbour / friend Jeannine. MMMMM ... good pie !

I did some online research to find recipes for cooking trout by poaching. I found an interesting recipe from Mexico using orange juice to poach trout. Tonight we cooked that way two of the Rainbow Trout I caught yesterday. EXCELLENT trout recipe !

Friday ; Mostly cloudy, warm.

A couple of days ago, when I caught my limit of five Rainbow Trout, Joanne suggested that I check the B.C. fishing regulations to see if the daily catch limit and the possession limit are the same, as they are in some provinces. So ... I checked the nineteen pages of B.C. fishing regulations, and six pages of Okanagan area additional fishing regulations < rolling eyes > to find that ... the possession limit is twice the daily limit. So ... one can catch their daily limit, clean and freeze the fish, and still be entitled to catch another daily limit. Great ! However ... I also discovered that while the daily limit for Rainbow Trout is five in lakes ... it's only four in streams ... defined as "flowing waters" ... as in ... Similkameen River ! Mea Culpa ! I apologize for my ignorant transgression !

So ... this afternoon when I went fishing again, it was with a clear understanding that my limit was four fish. Well ... that didn't take long ! HA HA HA ... I'm getting pretty good at this ! Now that the heat wave has ended, the fish are biting ! In about an hour and a half I hooked six, lost one, released a small one, and brought home four. We now have seven fish / four meals of Rainbow Trout in the freezer. Joanne says I now have to practice "catch & release". Okay !

Saturday ; Partially sunny and very warm. We spent the entire day in Princeton enjoying folk music and ethnic music at the Princeton Traditional Music Festival. Tomorrow we'll be doing the same.

DSK 

No comments:

Post a Comment