Sunday, September 21, 2014

September 14 to 20, 2014

Sunday ; Hope to home / Keremeos, B.C.

This morning we left the Trans-Canada Hwy. 1 rest area where we had boondocked overnight and drove into the city of Hope to refill with diesel. WOO-HOO ... found a Flying J. Didn't know there was a Flying J at Hope ! We headed east on Crowsnest Hwy. 3 until reaching Princeton where we stopped to replenish groceries at Cooper's Foods. We continued east on Crowsnest Hwy. 3, arriving home at Riverside RV Park Resort about supper time.

Welcome home. It was a great twenty-three day wilderness adventure !

Monday ; Sunny and very warm. Today was a long day of "return home" chores, not the least of which was giving a stinky dog a much needed bath.

Tuesday ; Mostly sunny and very warm. I was making ( liquid ) smoked, maple syrup glazed, candied salmon in the Sun Oven when the sun disappeared behind incoming clouds. DARN ! Today was another day of "return home" chores. Went into town to refill a water jug and buy some produce. I harvested our tiny vegetable garden this afternoon. HMPH ! Lot of effort this summer for a buck and half worth of green beans and one gherkin size cucumber ! At least my half dozen tomato plants are still very productive.

Wednesday ; Cloudy and warm. Joanne did a lot of laundry. We took the camper off the truck. We visited with neighbours.

Thursday ; Cloudy and warm. This morning we drove to Okanagan Falls where I had an aviation medical exam with an aviation medical examiner / doctor I had not seen before. Afterwards we drove to Penticton where I had an appointment with my gastroenterologist to review the results of my colonoscopy a few months ago. We spent the rest of the day running errands in Penticton.

Friday ; Sunny and warm. Got hired today to haul two trailers and a mini-van from Osoyoos to Edmonton, and another trailer from Kelowna to Willowbrook, between Okanagan Falls and Oliver. Will be busy the next two weeks !

Did some minor maintenance on the truck camper. Made fish tacos using Chum Salmon for supper tonight.

Saturday ; Sunny and hot. Second last hot day of the summer. Tomorrow should be the last.

After lunch we headed into town for the Similkameen Sizzle Pepper Festival, the annual celebration of the local pepper harvest. This is one of the very few areas in Canada hot and dry enough during the summer to grow peppers commercially. At the Princeton Traditional Music Festival a month or so ago I had arranged for a local soap maker / herbalist to sell me some tiny jars, the kind she uses for her herbal ointments and salves. I wanted a half dozen or so to make another batch of my pine sap salve this fall. She was selling at Similkameen Sizzle today, and I had arranged to meet her there today to buy the little jars from her. Thank you very much, Sylvia of Similkameen Soaps.

After returning home we did some minor maintenance on the truck camper. Around supper time I had a couple more items on my "to do" list for today, but ... the weather was so great, and supper was already cooked ... Joanne had made our favourite chicken and rice dish in the Sun Oven ... I decided to go fishing instead of doing my last two chores. HEY ... I'm retired ! Chores can wait !

I hiked about fifteen minutes upstream in the Similkameen River. The river is at its lowest point of the year, only about two feet deep in most places. Near my favourite fishing spot there was a lot of bear scat. I guess the bears like to fish there too. I cast my fly line out into the rapids there. First cast ... BAM ! A hit ! WHAM ! I set the hook ! And ripped it right out of the little trout's mouth. DARN ! Second cast ... BAM ! Another hit ! WHAM ! I set the hook ! And ripped it right out of the little trout's mouth ... again ! DARN ! I'm still in salmon fishing mode ! Third cast ... BAM ! < pause ... pause ... pause ... > I lifted the rod tip gently. THERE ... it's hooked !

WOW ... were the Rainbow Trout ever hungry tonight ! I set a new record, catching my limit of four Rainbow Trout in thirty-six minutes !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment