Sunday, December 7, 2014

November 30 to December 6, 2014 ; Yuma, Arizona

Sunday ; Sunny and very warm.

It felt like we finally made some progress today on our "arrival" process / chores. We removed the vinyl snap on walls of the Arizona room. And we took the camper off the truck. Joanne finished cleaning in the Arizona room. I had an extremely frustrating late afternoon and evening trying to get our Shaw Direct satellite TV service restored.

What's the point of telling Shaw Direct the "start" and "end" dates of a "vacation service suspension" if they don't automatically turn the service back on on the vacation end date ? ! ? We are in an area of extremely poor phone service and extremely poor Wi-Fi service. I wasted much of my afternoon and evening trying to contact Shaw Direct Technical Support, and waiting for "call backs" only to have the call back "dropped" THREE TIMES before they understood that the reason for my call to Technical Support was to have my service restored ! ! ! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! BECAUSE MY "VACATION END DATE" WAS TODAY ! ! ! ! ! AND THEY ALREADY KNEW THAT ! ! ! ! ! AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH ! ! ! ! !

Take a deep breath, Dan ! It's 11 PM ... take Bo for a walk.

Monday ; Thin cloud cover, very warm.

Joanne was up early this morning, and left at 8:15 AM to drive her 93 year old friend Eilene to a medical procedure appointment. She expected to be home by noon, but due to a misunderstanding / confusion by Eilene about her appointment time, they didn't get home until 4 PM. Eilene's memory / attention to detail isn't what it used to be.

I prepared my bicycle for use. I watered my various cactus gardens. I did a repair on the Arizona room. I gave Bo a haircut. His hair certainly does grow a lot in a six month period ! Next haircut ... June 1. We took Bo on the daily pack walk in the dog park, although while Joanne and I make two laps around the perimeter of the dog park, Bo refuses to follow us on the second lap. After the first lap he jumps over the fence into our back yard and waits for us to return.

For supper I cooked our last fillet of Sockeye Salmon, acquired ( alive ) at Farwell Canyon on our way to Bella Coola, British Columbia last September. I cooked it in the remaining Crema Salvadoreña we had purchased at Vallarta Supermarket in Tulare, California a week and a half ago. MMMMM ... B.C. Sockeye Salmon and Idaho potatoes in Salvadoran cream. Not exactly the 100 Mile Diet ! HA HA HA ! Good thing neither of us has a cholesterol problem. HA HA HA !

I spent the evening reconciling bank statements and updating investment files.

Tuesday ; Cloudy and warm.

OUCH ! I spent the afternoon gardening. Which here ... is painful ! HA HA HA ! I did quite a bit of garden cleaning, plant removal, and transplanting ... all cacti ! I paid some bills. I chatted with friends. We walked with Bo around the dog park. I went bicycling. Tough life, eh ?

Wednesday ; Los Algodones, Baja California, Mexico

Cloudy, warm, occasional light rain.

Long day ! This morning we headed out to Yuma Fairgrounds to attend the annual Winter Visitor Bash. We wandered by all the vendors' displays fairly quickly, and were out of there in about an hour or so. We headed out of Yuma westbound on Interstate 8 across the Colorado River into California, and then south to the Mexican border. We parked and walked across the border to run errands in Los Algodones.

First we stopped at our dentists' office and made appointments for two weeks from today for a dental cleaning and examination for Joanne, a dental cleaning and periodontal examination for me. Then we walked all the way across and out of town to Farmacia Veterinaria Safari. We wanted to buy seven packages of heartworm medication, two for Bo and the rest for friends and neighbours, including Zona here at Kofa Ko-op who needs a dosage now. < sigh > They were out of stock of the heartworm medication for small dogs. I ordered seven packages to be picked up in two weeks when we return for dental appointments. I guess Zona is going to have to wait. We also bought some other pet medications we needed, for ourselves and others.

As we walked back into town we stopped at a brand new, not even fully stocked yet, small grocery store and bought some Zuko drink mixes. Next stop was our favourite restaurant to have lunch. We shared a plato de pollo asado con ensalada, arroz y frijoles, y dos tacos, una machaca y una carne asada. MMMMM ! ! ! After lunch we went to TK Beauty Shop where I had a haircut ( $3 ) and Joanne had a pedicure ( $10 ).

Finally we wandered around from farmacia to farmacia shopping for some medications
I needed. When I finally got everything I needed we headed back towards the border. On the way, we bought a package of Mini-Nugs, a package of Mini-CocoNugs, and a large tub of Creminos. HEY ... no line up at the border ... four people in front of us, two border agents, our wait time was about thirty seconds. Quickest border crossing we've ever had from Los Algodones. Maybe it pays to go on a "bad weather day". HA HA HA ... it's amazing what passes for a "bad weather day" here !

As soon as we pulled out of the large parking lot on the American side of the border we headed "off road" into the desert behind the RV park just beside the large border parking lot, to look for a pet cemetery that we had recently been told about. It was a bit difficult to find, but we eventually found it. We parked and got out to walk around. It was a very serene place, and an emotionally touching pet cemetery. We decided that this is the place where we will lay Sully to rest when he dies, which will almost certainly be sometime this winter season, although not necessarily immediately. His upper respiratory infection seems to have diminished quite a bit. Hang in there, Sully ! Now my goal is for him to make it to another Christmas. Only three more weeks to go, my sweet little kitty.

We drove back to Yuma and went shopping at PetsMart in Yuma Palms Shopping Center, then drove to Food City, the Mexican supermarket in Yuma. WOO-HOO ... pan dulce ! AND ... I discovered that they carry Crema Salvadoreñ a, although I didn't buy any today. < whispering > I did, however, buy some Crema Mexicana. HA HA HA !

Back at home, we had supper then watched a two hour episode of Survivor.

Thursday ; Partially cloudy, becoming sunny late in the afternoon, a bit humid, rather unusual for here.

Another long day.

Late this morning we headed for Z Fun Factory, a local "food and fun" establishment, for the SKP Roadrunners Chapter 7 annual Christmas luncheon. After a slightly mundane meal and some socializing Joanne and I ran a couple of errands on the way home. We bought some fresh peanut butter at Peanut Patch, a local peanut farm business. We did some Wal-Martin'.

Back at home I walked Bo around the dog park then we left for the Humane Society to attend their Volunteer Appreciation Potluck / Turkey Dinner. Interesting meal, interesting people, very poor attendance. Some interesting new ideas and programs this year at the Humane Society of Yuma !

Friday ; Sunny and warm.

This morning we picked up Joanne's friend Eilene and we headed to The Foothills, to Gila Mountain United Methodist Church, to shop at their semi-annual Helping Hands Yard Sale. I bought a couple of items. Joanne bought a Christmas table decoration. Eilene bought nothing. Smart lady ! I guess 93 years of living brings some wisdom. HA HA HA !

We drove to Pioneer Shopping Center where I dropped Joanne and Eilene at the 99¢ Only Store and I went to Al's RV Service & Supply. Today was Al's monthly 15% Off Customer Appreciation Day. I bought a few items for myself, and a few for neighbours back home in Canada. I picked up Joanne and Eilene and we returned home for a very late lunch.

On this afternoon's pack walk we were joined by Zona and Spanky. Judy and Terry ( with Spanky ) from B.C. arrived here at Kofa Ko-op this afternoon.

I spent a frustrating evening trying to get our satellite TV service to work. Something is wrong / broken. Technical Support was unable to resolve the problem. < sigh > I'm tired of ( petty technical / technological ) problems !

By the way ... Sully's upper respiratory infection seems to be over.

Saturday ; Mostly sunny and warm.

Joanne was very ill overnight and all day today, with a stomach flu or food poisoning.
I suspect the latter more than the former. About 4:30 AM she vomited ... a lot ! She went to bed last night about 9:30 PM and, except for trips to the bathroom, didn't get up until about 7 PM tonight.

I spent the day working on problem solving. So what else is new ? ! ? As I said yesterday ... I'm getting tired of how much of my time is taken up with solving maintenance / technical / technological problems. Today I located and hopefully solved the plumbing leak in the trailer's pass through storage compartment. Water has been persistently leaking somewhere in there since our arrival a week and a half ago. This is the second plumbing leak that I have located and fixed. And I identified and rectified our satellite dish problem. It was a cabling problem. I am typing this at 7:30 PM as I wait "on hold" for ... < sigh > ... fifteen to twenty-five minutes for Technical Support to answer my phone call. Last night I had our service "technical problem / non-pay" suspended and now I need to have our service restored.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment