Sunday, May 22, 2016

May 15 to 21, 2016

Sunday ; Sunny and warm.

We had another lazy Sunday. I did quite a bit of research and planning for our summer trip to Haida Gwaii / Queen Charlotte Islands.

Monday ; Sunny and very warm.

This morning I drove into town for an 11:30 AM appointment at my new pharmacy. One of the two pharmacists ( not the one that is the owner ) had offered me a "medication review" meeting, a half hour meeting that I think is paid for by BC PharmaCare. I waited half an hour for my "appointment", then at noon I walked out. I'm inclined to rant in writing about that here, but ... perhaps I should just stifle myself.

I took the truck to the local auto repair facility and left it for a tire rotation. Joanne came into town in the minivan, picked me up there, and we returned home. At 3:30 PM we returned to town in the minivan and I went to see the Public Health Nurse for the last of a series of vaccinations I was getting at the Public Health Office, then we went to pick up the truck. When I returned home I noticed that ... yes, yes, once again ... the truck tires had not been rotated following the tire rotation diagram ( from the owner's manual ) that I had left with the owner of the auto repair facility. Needless to say, my attitude was rapidly deteriorating from bad to worse ! Perhaps I should again stifle myself here !

Tuesday ; Sunny and very warm.

We left home this morning at 10 AM heading to Penticton for a day of running errands ... and my annual spring time pilot proficiency "check ride". Our first stop was Total Pet where we went shopping for a new dog food for Bo. He's been having some late evening panting episodes that we think is digestion related. Next stop was Mark's Work Warehouse to take a look at a pair of Birkenstock clone sandals advertised on sale. I bought a pair.

We drove to the airport and I went flying. Joanne went shopping. Dan Air flight 421 was my first flight in nine months ! SO ... it's not surprising that I made a couple of mistakes. The first one was just an embarrassing "brain fart" when I turned the wrong way onto the taxiway heading for Runway 34. The second error was a poorly executed simulated short field landing. OOOPS ... too much flare right over the numbers ! Still ... not a "bad" short field landing according to Michelle, the CFI who conducted my check ride. She said I still used up less runway than many young pilots do on simulated short field landings.

Felt really great to be in the pilot's seat again !

Joanne picked me up at the airport and we continued our shopping errands. I bought a dozen toothbrushes at London Drugs. HEY ... that's a difficult "model" of toothbrush to find. London Drugs not only had them ... they were on sale. I bought their entire inventory. HA HA HA ! "At last" Joanne said ... "no more endless quest for G-U-M Technique Deep Clean toothbrushes". HA HA HA ! We had a late lunch in Cherry Lane Mall's food court.

After lunch I dropped Joanne off at Wal-Mart then I went shopping to Leisureland RV Centre, Canadian Tire, and Rona. I returned to Wal-Mart and joined Joanne inside the store to finish the Wal-Martin'. We went to an RV park on the north side of the city to get some rate information for a Similkameen Trailer Towing client, then went to Superstore to do a lot of grocery shopping, our final shopping chore of the day.

We arrived back home about 7 PM, tired and hungry.

Wednesday ; Mostly cloudy, a bit windy and cool.

I started the day by doing yesterday's credit card accounting. My goodness ... we certainly can spend a lot of money some days in Penticton ! This afternoon I torqued the lug nuts then reinstalled the valve extenders, wheel liners, and hub caps on the truck's wheels. I exercised our little generator. I planned an eavestroughing project.
I trimmed my beard. I repaired Joanne's curling iron. I did some online work, including paying bills.

This evening we watched the three hour season finale of Survivor.

Thursday ; Cloudy, chilly, intermittent light rain.

A bit too chilly to get much outdoor work done today. I repaired the truck's muffler.
I started the deck roof eavestroughing project, but did not get very far due to a lack of materials.

Joanne spent a considerable amount of time with the next door neighbours, sorting out their slightly confused and disorganized series of upcoming medical appointments. She made a number of phone calls to sort things out. < sigh > She will accompany them to Kelowna for medical appointments three times in the next week or so. Gord's mesothelioma symptoms are rapidly increasing !

I received a notification from Revenue Canada that my income tax return has been processed. They assessed me a late filing fee of approximately $25, then waived it.
Go figure ! As I reviewed the assessment I realized ... way too late ... that I made another mistake. DARN ! I neglected to apply prior years' capital losses to offset last year's capital gains. DARN, DARN, DARN ! It's been so long since I've owed income taxes that I sloppily forgot about previous years' capital losses being able to be applied to offset current year's capital gains. Oh, well ... < shrug > ... the losses can be carried forward. I'll use them next year !

At 9 PM we went to the pool building for our second weekly hot tub date night.

Friday ; Cloudy and mild becoming sunny in the late afternoon. BUT ... when I took Bo out at 11:45 PM it was raining.

I had quite a lazy, unproductive day. Joanne did laundry. We visited our neighbour / friend Jeanine. I started the truck camper bathroom plumbing modification project.
I paid some bills online. I worked on Haida Gwaii trip planning and making reservations for the ferries and buying tickets for the Edge Of The World Music Festival.

Saturday ; Cloudy and cool, a few drops of rain. Typical weather for the May long weekend !

I was much more productive today. We started the day by driving into Keremeos to see a roll top desk for sale at a yard sale. We did not buy it. It was too dark a colour to match our other living room furniture. On the way back home we detoured to Ashnola Road to go to another yard sale ... < rolling eyes and sighing >. Keeping the little wifey happy !

This afternoon while Joanne worked on ... and completed ... a yard shed maintenance job that I assigned to her and asked her to get done before August, I worked on the camper bathroom plumbing modification project. I started and completed the part of the job that I have been suffering anxiety about for a year !  I measured and cut through an outside wall to provide access to the plumbing that requires repair / replacement. Very careful "blind" measuring, "blind" drilling, then "blind" cutting out an access hatch. WHEW ! It went well. The plumbing is exposed and the "hole in the wall" access hatch is large enough for me to get my hands inside to work on the plumbing.

I also modified the eavestroughing work that I had done a couple of days ago, correcting some minor errors that I had made. HEY ... there's a learning curve !   I have never done eavestroughing before.

After supper we watched ... HA HA HA ... The Big Lebowski !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment