Sunday, September 23, 2018

September 16 to 22, 2018

Sunday ;  Cool, overcast and raining early in the day, clearing and warming in the afternoon.

Trimmed Emma's claws this morning.  Always fun to trim a cat's claws ... outdoors in the rain !  Trimmed my beard in the afternoon.  Always fun to trim my beard ... you know the rest !  HA HA HA !  Fixed a minor problem on my bicycle.  Replenished toiletries and supplies in the camper.

Went to the Keremeos Grist Mill for one of their monthly dinners, our first time.  It was great.  Thirty-two people seated at two long tables, food served family style.  Slow cooked ( twelve hour ) beef brisket, garden salad with flowers from the Grist Mill's gardens, honey glazed local carrots, many varieties of locally grown heirloom tomatoes, dessert was baked local pears with local walnuts and spiced local honey drizzled on them.  These locally sourced monthly dinners are a new pet project of the owner / operator of the Grist Mill.  Well done !  The marinated heirloom tomatoes were the highlight, in my opinion.  Says the guy who ate at least a pound of brisket !  HA HA HA !

After returning home we visited briefly with Jeanine, primarily to deliver to her the two Rainbow Trout that I caught and kept yesterday.  They were small, what I call "widow size".  HA HA HA !

Monday ;  Sunny and mild, a lovely fall day.  Joanne baked a plum cake in the Sun Oven today.  Plums from our park's orchard !

This morning our neighbour across the street came over and asked for our help to trim her new cat's claws.  So ... across the street we went to trim Darlene's cat's razor sharp claws.  And I have the lacerated thumb to prove it !  HA HA HA !  Chili the cat was not co-operative.

This afternoon I took the truck into town to get an adjustment done on the gear selector display.  While in town I renewed our fifth wheel trailer's license and insurance policy.  And I refilled our barbecue's propane tank.  Back at home I exercised our little generator, and did some online financial work.  Late in the afternoon we went to the swimming pool and resumed our regular aquatic exercise program.  After supper we watched the Emmy Awards show.

Tuesday ;  Penticton

Sunny and warm again, another lovely fall day.  We spent the day in Penticton, running errands.

Wednesday ;  Mostly sunny, mild, heavy rain briefly around suppertime.

As we walked Ozzie around noon, our neighbour / friend Jeanine invited us to visit.  She wanted to tell us that ... her little dog Charlie had died.  < sigh >  Farewell, Charlie.  I will miss you.  I'm glad that when we last visited a few days ago I took the time to give Charlie some attention and affection.

This afternoon I went fishing.  I fished for an hour and three quarters, caught five Rainbow Trout, released one, kept four, the legal daily limit.  I decided to return home when an ugly looking cloud appeared over the mountain behind me.  The hike from home to my fishing spot takes about twenty minutes.  After about five minutes of hiking from my fishing spot back to home it began to rain lightly.  After about ten minutes it was raining harder.  After about fifteen minutes it was a torrential downpour.  < sigh >  By the time I arrived home, I was drenched !  From my chest up to the top of my head !  HA HA HA ... I was wearing my new chest waders.

I cleaned the fish, then Joanne made an excellent squash and cilantro ( from our garden ) soup for supper.

Thursday ;  Cloudy and mild, a bit of light rain around lunch time.

This morning I replaced the rubber propane hose from our large propane tank to our house with a copper tubing line, in order to comply with regulations.  While I was doing that our friend Jeanine came over with more of Charlie's stuff.  She has given all of Charlie's stuff to us, to get rid of.  Isn't it bad grammar to end a sentence with a preposition ?  This afternoon I cleaned and sorted all of Charlie's stuff.  He had a very impressive inventory of clothing and bedding and medications, for such a little dog.

Both of us spent quite a bit of time preparing for travel.  Joanne is leaving tomorrow for a ten day trip to Winnipeg, departing from Abbotsford Airport.  And I am driving her to Abbotsford, then will attend an RV show in Abbotsford and boondock overnight somewhere before returning home Saturday.

I got hired today to transport a fifth wheel trailer from Oroville, Washington ( across the border from Osoyoos ) to Kelowna on Monday.

Friday ;  home to Abbotsford


Cloudy and mild, heavy rain in Abbotsford in the afternoon and evening.

This morning we completed our preparations for travel and departed from home at 11:40 AM, heading west on Hwy. 3.  Ozzie was with us, Emma stayed home.  Through Princeton and into Manning Provincial Park, we stopped for lunch at Beaver Pond Trailhead.  At Hope we refilled with diesel at Flying J then continued west on
Trans-Canada Hwy. 1 through Chilliwack to Abbotsford.  We arrived at the Abbotsford Airport at 4:10 PM, just in time for Joanne's 4:30 PM check-in time for her ( very cheap ) flight to Winnipeg.

After dropping Joanne off at the airport I drove next door to Tradex, a large convention centre where the Snowbird RV Show was being held.  I got parked, napped briefly, then went into the RV show at 5:30 PM.  By 7:30 PM I had seen all the exhibits and exhibitors and was ready to leave when I bumped into Richard and Doris, neighbours of ours at Kofa Ko-op SKP RV Park in Yuma, Arizona.  We chatted for about half an hour, then I returned to our camper in the parking lot at 8 PM.  I contemplated just staying there overnight, but decided to drive a short distance to a rest area on the
Trans-Canada Hwy. 1 eastbound at mile marker 99.

At 8:50 PM I received a text message from Joanne's sister Lorraine that Joanne had arrived safely in Winnipeg.  Imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I arrived at the rest area and discovered that electrical pedestals for RV's had just been installed at the rest area's RV parking area.  How wonderful !  I got parked and plugged in, then made and ate a late supper.  I washed dishes, then ... discovered that the rest area also had free Wi-Fi !  WOO-HOO !  Life is good !

Saturday ;  Abbotsford to home


Raining heavily all day.  I hate this kind of fall weather ! ! !

I departed the Abbotsford rest area at 11:20 AM and headed for home, eastbound on Trans-Canada Hwy. 1.  At Hope I continued east on Crowsnest Hwy. 3.  I stopped to eat lunch in the camper at Coldspring Campground in Manning Provincial Park. 
I refilled with diesel at Petro-Canada in Princeton.  I arrived home at 3:20 PM.  Emma was very glad to see me.  Ozzie immediately went for a long nap.  The ongoing rain hampered my ability to unload the camper and remove it from the truck.

After the rain stopped around 6 PM I went outside and removed the camper from the truck, then installed the fifth wheel hitch into the bed of the truck.  That was the first time I have lifted the fifth wheel hitch by myself since before my triple bypass surgery almost a year ago.  I loaded all the necessary trailer towing supplies and equipment into the truck for a job I have on Monday.  I finished around 7:30 PM and it was already almost dark.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment