Sunday, December 9, 2018

December 2 to 8, 2018 ; Yuma, Arizona

Sunday ; Sunny and warm.

I spent the day getting Obie, our "winter beater" SUV functional after it has been sitting unused for nineteen months, including two Yuma summers ! Easier said than done ! Joanne spent the day continuing to clean the Arizona room and shed, then moving stuff from the camper into the shed, most of it to be moved into 
( Harvey ) the fifth wheel trailer when we bring it from the storage yard to our lot 52 on Tuesday.

I spent the evening processing photos from our trip to here, posting my weekly journal to my blog, and buying insurance for Obie.

The brand new auto cover that we installed over Obie nineteen months ago did not survive the nineteen months / two Yuma summers. It was just a pile of torn cloth lying on and around the car. AND ... that's also what became of the cloth shopping bags left in the car ; just piles of torn cloth ! I wonder what the temperature is inside the car when it's sunny and 120 degrees outside ? ! ?

Monday ; Sunny and warm.

This afternoon we drove ( in the truck and camper ) to the Department of Motor Vehicles ( DMV ) to renew the registration of Obie. They would not renew the registration today because …AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH ... I had purchased the insurance policy to be effective tomorrow !

Our new next door neighbour Rita gave us a crocheted mouse filled with catnip as a gift for Emma. < blink blink > WOW ... Emma LOOOOOVES it !

Tuesday ; Cloudy, windy, mild.

We spent the morning preparing to move from the camper to the trailer. After lunch our neighbour / friend Richard moved our trailer from the storage yard to our lot 52 using his truck. Thank you very much, Richard. We spent the rest of the afternoon getting the trailer ready for occupancy. The trailer seems old and ... worn out.

In the evening my priority was to get online and "attach" the car insurance to the car registration, so that tomorrow we can return to the DMV and get the license plate sticker. When I tried to sign on to Wi-Fi ... AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH ... the Kofa Ko-op network was "down", and remained non-functional for the rest of the evening. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH ! ! ! ! !

< taking deep breath >

Emma remembered the trailer and was pleased to be back “home”. This was her first home with us. Ozzie is very adaptable, so he thinks the trailer is just fine. He is obsessively licking one of his front feet. We can’t find what the problem is. Probably a piece of sharp desert grass or a cactus quill embedded into / under his skin. I guess it will just have to fester its way out, like a sliver. Poor Ozzie !

Wednesday ; Sunny, warm, windy.

This morning I was able to get online, and "attached" the car insurance to the car registration. Then we drove to the Department of Motor Vehicles and obtained the license plate sticker. OK ... car insurance and registration drama complete !

This afternoon Joanne took the car and went grocery shopping. I stayed home and made phone calls to get estimates and hire trades people to wash the fifth wheel trailer, the truck, the camper, and the car. And to recoat the trailer's rubber roof. I walked Ozzie. I put air in my bicycle's tires. WOO-HOO ... they didn't explode, which they often do after sitting in Yuma's brutally hot summer. And this year, they had been sitting in Yuma's brutally hot summer for two summers without use ! I expected they would explode when inflated. I got the satellite dish connected to the trailer.

In the evening we watched Survivor. And I bought Sunday matinee tickets to a live performance of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" presented by Yuma Community Theater.

The car is running extremely rough. It has a full tank of gas that has been sitting ... like the bicycle’s tires ... through nineteen months / two summers.

Thursday ; Cloudy, cold, raining ... rather unusual for Yuma.

Today we ( mostly Joanne ) finished "moving" from the camper to the trailer. I did some minor preventive maintenance on the camper, then parked the truck and camper in one of our two spots in the storage yard. I repaired a leak under the trailer's kitchen sink. I cooked supper ; poached eggs in Crema Oaxaqueña on toasted English muffins. I spent the evening setting up my new laptop computer, purchased two weeks ago on Black Friday.

Friday ; Sunny and cool.

We had a couple of roof leaks overnight, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. This morning I climbed up on the roof of the trailer to inspect it. HOLY SHIT ! It's in pretty bad shape after two summers in Yuma's sun, with no maintenance.

Joanne went shopping by herself today. I made phone calls to contractors, and met with contractors, regarding trailer roof repairs and recoating. After talking to six contractors by phone, and meeting with four of them who came to give me estimates, I made a decision, and hired an older Mexican fellow who has been repairing and recoating roofs for twenty-nine years. So ... he should know what he's doing ! Although ... he's difficult to communicate with. He speaks little English.

In the evening I worked on my new computer. I have begun to load the software for the old programs that I still use ... like MS Money 2004. HEY ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it !

And ... the trailer roof is broke ! ! !

Saturday ; Sunny and mild.

Today we took the truck and camper to the storage yard, removed the camper off the truck, and installed the fifth wheel hitch into the bed of the truck. We returned to our lot 52, prepared the trailer for transport, hitched the truck to the trailer, and repositioned it slightly. < sigh > Much easier said than done ! The fifth wheel hitch head that I have here in Yuma is slightly different than the one I have in Keremeos, and the hitch here gave me difficulties today.

I spent the evening “migrating” from my old laptop to my new one. As I expected, it did not go smoothly. But … I am making progress, and this daily journal entry is the first one done on the new computer.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment