Sunday, November 28, 2021

November 21 to 27, 2021 ; Yuma, Arizona

 Sunday ; Sunny and very warm. What did you expect? It’s Yuma!

I had a very sore throat today. Clogged with phlegm. I’m a bit worried about Covid!

Joanne spent today moving food and clothing from the camper into the trailer. And sorting and discarding almost all of my clothes in the trailer. All the clothing that fit me when I was eighty pounds heavier. She kept my socks. HA HA HA !

I spent much of today getting the car functional. Which was more difficult than expected. The minivan’s battery is … “toast”! I charged it overnight. It didn’t hold a charge. And the only useful thing about it today was … after I reinstalled it in the minivan it was something to connect booster cables to, to jump start the minivan using the truck. In the evening I purchased car insurance online. Tomorrow I hope to get the car registration and license renewed. At the DMV <sigh>. And buy a new battery.

Not only the car’s battery was toast. Also the car cover. And the tire covers. And the tires were flat. And it was thickly coated with desert dust. AND … because I had installed a car cover … which subsequently self-destructed in the summer heat … I left the two rear vent windows open so that the inside of the car wouldn’t “bake” underneath the car cover. Well … with the car cover destroyed, the open windows simply allowed the interior to also get thickly coated in desert dust. <sigh>

I reinflated the tires. I rinsed off the exterior. I ignored the interior. Maybe Joanne will clean it. HA HA HA!

We have become so disgusted with America … and Americans … that we are actively avoiding interacting with neighbours. Tonight a pair of neighbours (and long ago former friends) became obviously pissed off at us for ignoring them. <shrug> Make America Great Again … asshole!

Steinbach home to Yuma home was 4065 km./2541 miles! Fuel costs were US$917! Driving time was 51 hours!

Monday ; Thin, high overcast, very warm.

After an early lunch we set off for an afternoon of errands. First stop was Goodwill Thrift Store to buy a small bathroom scale to replace the electronic one that just died. I bought a high quality “doctor’s office” analog scale. Next stop was the Speedway Fuel Bar on 4th Ave. that has an RV dump station to dump the camper’s waste holding tanks. From there … <sigh> … the Yuma Motor Vehicle Division to renew the minivan’s registration/license. The line-up for service was extremely long, but the wait for service was about half an hour, less than I had expected when I saw the line-up. I was not very happy to realize that the Arizona Department of Transportation was charging me a penalty almost equal to a year’s license fees because I had not paid the prior year’s license fees. Well … DUH … we’re Canadian and were not here due to the pandemic. Yeah … that didn’t matter to the ADOT! While I was bitching at the ADOT MVD agent Joanne was nudging me, so … I shut up and paid!

Next stop was Beamspeed, our local Internet service provider, to pick up a router/modem. Always a pleasure to deal with Beamspeed. Their front counter service agents are always knowledgeable and efficient. Their procedures are simple and straightforward. Their Internet service is fast and reliable and well priced. At Wal-Mart I bought a new battery for the minivan, and we replenished groceries and supplies. Last stop was Lowe’s to buy an item that Wal-Mart did not have.

Back at home about 5 PM I installed the minivan’s new battery and we parked the camper in our storage yard spot before we went for our late exercise walk as the sun set and it became dark. We chatted with some old friends as we walked around and around the RV park. We still have some American friends here that we respect enough to NOT be anti-social towards.

Tuesday ; Overcast and warm.

Late this morning Joanne went out by herself to run errands. I got the ball rolling on selling our home here. I went to the lot transfer committee meeting to initiate the process of selling our lot. Afterwards I visited for awhile with our friend Carol Mae, who is a “master strategist” and excellent at “gittin’ er done”. She had some helpful advice for me. I also pursued a lead with our RV park’s designated “Mexican Jack Of All Trades” who not only gets any and all renovation and repair projects done, but is also pretty adept at finding a buyer or seller of almost anything and everything. Maybe he can be of some help to me in getting our trailer sold.

At suppertime we visited with our friends Linda and David from Oregon. Linda was also at the lot transfer committee meeting today to initiate the process of getting their lot and park model manufactured home sold.

Late in the evening Joanne found online pictures of the flash flooding last week of the Similkameen River at our previous summer home location at Riverside RV Park Resort near Keremeos, BC. WOW !!!!! <blink blink>

AHHHH … who cares?!? We already took our money and ran. HA HA HA! As always … better to be lucky than good! What great timing we had!

Wednesday ; Sunny and very warm.

Thursday ; American Thanksgiving

Sunny and very warm. Roasted a chicken in the Sun Oven today.

Friday ; Sunny and very warm.

This morning I went to the Arizona MarketPlace flea market to buy some hardware and to order a custom made dash cover for our Steinbach minivan. When I entered the hardware outlet, first thing I encountered was a large display table full of … <sputter> … MAGA hats, Trump 2024 hats and decals, and … <SPUTTER> … hats, decals, flags, etc. emblazoned with “Let’s Go, Brandon”. WTF!?! I dropped my shopping basket and stormed out! I am SO eager to sell our property and possessions and end our winter visits here!!!!!

And if that didn’t sour me enough …

I left the Arizona MarketPlace and drove to a nearby, independent hardware store called Wally’s World, a favourite of mine. While standing in line to pay, I noticed the grizzled old man in front of me who was paying for his purchases had … <SPUTTER> … a large sheathed knife and a small holstered gun both attached to his belt.

FFS!!!!!!!!!! You need both a shiv and a piece on your belt to go Black Friday shopping to the hardware store ????? GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!

<taking a deep breath>

Saturday ; Sunny and very warm. Joanne baked a Saskatoon grunt in the Sun Oven today.

Our friend Carol Mae came over for a long visit in our Arizona room this afternoon. I can always count on Carol Mae to give me a pep talk when I need one.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment