Sunday, December 26, 2021

December 19 to 25, 2021 ; Yuma, Arizona

 Sunday ; Sunny and mild.

<sigh> Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike wrapping Christmas gifts ? ! ?

My overwhelming depression and negativity persist.

This afternoon I had my time wasted by a STUPID OLD WOMAN who came by to “view” our lot and Arizona room for sale. SHE IS NOT EVEN ON THIS PARK’S "WAITING LIST”. She is 3 ½ to 6 ½ years away from being eligible to purchase it !!!!!

<SPUTTER>

Monday ; Sunny and mild.

Took the truck at noon for a new windshield. Went to Wal-Mart for a few items, then Green Tree Grocers for a few items. Driving home the minivan overheated. <sigh> I suspect the thermostat has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced.

Two potential purchasers of our lot came over today. Met the first guy about five years ago when he was a renter on the lot next door. Nice fellow, I hope he becomes the purchaser of our lot. Second guy was … a total asshole !

Late this afternoon we went to pick up the truck with its new windshield. Then while Joanne waited in the overheated minivan I drove to O’Reilly’s Auto Parts and bought a new thermostat for the minivan. I will install it tomorrow. I hope.

Tuesday ; Mostly cloudy, mild.

This morning I replaced the thermostat in the minivan. And decided that I should also change the radiator cap. Just in case.

This afternoon I continued working on purging the contents of our shed. And had a second visit and discussion with yesterday’s … <ahem> … second potential purchaser of our lot.

In the evening we went out to run a few errands, and have dinner. While Joanne refilled the minivan at Fry’s Fuel Bar I walked next door to O’Reilly’s Auto Parts and bought a radiator cap. Then we went to look at folding chairs at a redneck outdoor store. No masks, lots of guns. We didn’t buy chairs.

We went for dinner to EAT ASIAN Super Buffet, our favourite local “Chinese” food restaurant. While Joanne selected from the buffet, I stuck to the sushi bar. EXCELLENT !

AND … the minivan’s overheating problem is solved ! Well done, Daniel.

Wednesday ; Sunny and warm.

This morning we purchased our tickets to five movies at the upcoming Palm Springs Film Festival, sort of our Christmas gift to ourselves. We had wanted to attend six movies, but were unable to obtain tickets for one of our choices. Reviewing all the movies, making selections, and purchasing tickets is a complicated and time consuming process.

This afternoon I continued working on shed and Arizona room purging while Joanne went out grocery shopping, hopefully for the last time before Christmas.

Thursday ; Sunny and very warm. That will change very soon.

Today I worked online making an RV park reservation in Desert Hot Springs (across I-10 from Palm Springs), posting more items for sale in the White Sheet, and making a COVID-19 booster shot appointment in Palm Springs. That was a teensy bit complicated. Joanne continued working on purging and packing possessions. I made a quick visit to the lot transfer committee meeting to confirm that our “lot for sale” posting has been mailed to the top fifty people on our RV park’s waitlist.

We are certain that there is a concerted “back room” effort to sabotage our lot sale. Given the existence of the “all foreigners are unwelcome” mentality of the United States, and in particular this RV park community, it seems counterproductive for them to thwart our efforts to “get the hell out of Dodge”. <shrug> Rocket scientists ! <sarcasm>

Friday ; Christmas Eve

Today I sadly and fondly remember my father, who died on Christmas Eve twenty-six years ago.

Rain early in the day, clearing in late afternoon, mild temperature.

Today we made Christmas sugar cookies with sprinkles on them. It was Joanne’s idea of a fun thing to do on Christmas Eve. I did the “work” under Joanne’s supervision and guidance.

I paid our MC bills today, both Canadian and U.S. I was dismayed to find that Bank of America MasterCard upcharged 3% for a “foreign transaction” on our purchase of eyeglasses in Los Algodones, on an amount charged by the merchant in U.S. dollars. Any excuse for more fees, right, Bank of America ? ! ? <fume>

As I am typing this Joanne is preparing Tourtière, French Canadian meat pie, her family’s traditional Christmas Eve dinner.

Saturday ; Christmas

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thin, high clouds, mild.

Twenty-two years ago, the day after our 25th anniversary, in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, I bought a painted wood carving of eight parrots, carved into a five foot section of cypress tree. From the time we got off our cruise ship around 8 AM until we were due back on the ship at 6 PM I watched the artist carve, then paint it. I was fascinated … and parted with my money. From Ocho Rios it has travelled first to Ottawa, then Winnipeg/Lorette, then Keremeos, then Yuma, over a twenty-two year period.

We have no practical way to move it from Yuma to our current summer home in Steinbach. So … today I gave it to our friends Carol Mae and Larry as a Christmas gift. I will be happy knowing that it will be appreciated by someone we know. That’s a better choice for “disposing” of a cherished piece of art than giving it to an auction house, and having it sold for “a few pennies on the dollar” as I did with some of our art in BC a few years ago.

Please take good care of my parrots, Larry and Carol Mae.

Late in the afternoon we had a long Zoom call with Joanne’s sister and nieces. It was a wonderful connection with family on Christmas. Thank you, Lorraine, Madeleine, and Amelia.

Joanne made a traditional Christmas dinner, with a roasted chicken instead of a turkey. The camper’s oven is not large enough for a turkey. Great Christmas dinner. Thank you, my love.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment