Monday, June 22, 2009

June 18, 19, & 20, 2009

June 18, 2009
 
Today was Teddy's 17th birthday. Happy Birthday, my Teddy Baby Cat. And today was the fifth anniversary of us starting our full time RV life. Wow ... 5 years ! Over 167,000 km. / 103,000 miles of RV living.
 
We both went to our local family doctor today. Joanne to get some test results. Me to get a prescription refill. And to request a requisition for my next colonoscopy, in about a year. The wait time for a screening colonoscopy with my gastroenterologist in Penticton is over a year, so I wanted to get the requisition done this summer. Except ... I found out today that my gastroenterologist, the only gastroenterologist in Penticton, had an accident last fall. He was injured in a downhill bicycling accident. One of the sports he was involved in was downhill bicycling in rugged mountain terrain, called BMX biking, or mountain biking, or something like that. Not exactly what I would have thought would be an ideal sport for a middle aged man ... but to each his own. The accident has left him ... a quadriplegic ! How very tragic ! ! ! My family physician here in Keremeos will send a requisition for a colonoscopy for me next summer to the closest gastroenterology clinic, which is in Kelowna. I'm not very happy about having to go all the way to Kelowna for a colonoscopy ... and probably an office visit before and again afterwards. Kelowna isn't one of my favourite places. And it's at least a two hour drive from here.
 
June 19, 2009
 
We have just returned from having dinner at The Hitching Post Restaurant in Hedley. We walked the dog from a few minutes before to a few minutes after 10:00 P.M. and it wasn't quite dark yet. What a pleasant change from those December days that are dark by 5:00 o'clock.
 
Today I began to work on rebuilding the trailer's fiberglass lower skirt. It was not possible to obtain a replacement fiberglass lower skirt section from the manufacturer in Indiana. I found out that there is a fiberglass manufacturing company in Penticton that manufactures the fiberglass lower skirt sections for General Coach in Oliver who manufactures the Citation brand of fifth wheel trailer. A few days ago I went to Fiberglass Specialties in Penticton to see if I could buy a section of fiberglass "J" panel that I might be able to use to rebuild Harvey's lower skirt. Even better ... they allowed me to have a moulded fiberglass lower skirt section from a Citation trailer that was on their "reject" pile. And best of all ... at no charge ! With a lot of cutting and drilling, I believe I can make it fit on our trailer quite nicely. Wish me luck !
 
Tonight we went to a dinner concert at the Hitching Post Restaurant in Hedley to celebrate our fifth anniversary as full time RV'ers. The performer was a ( Mississippi ) Delta Blues slide guitarist from Vancouver Island. Great meal, great blues music !
 
June 20, 2009
 
Today was sunny, very warm, and humid. The mosquitoes were not quite as bad as they have been for the last three weeks or so. Mosquitoes are a brutal problem here during June. I continued work on rebuilding the trailer's fiberglass lower skirt panel. So far, so good !
 
Today was the second in a series of themed potluck dinners Joanne and I have planned and organized for Riverside RV Park Resort this summer. Today's theme was "Favourite Family Recipe". Joanne prepared my favourite dish, spaghetti with meat sauce, a meat sauce recipe she "inherited" from my mother. Not surprisingly, the potluck dinner was extremely poorly attended. For the life of me I can't figure out why the residents of this park are so disinterested and unsupportive of community social activities. Oh well, the food was great !
 
DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment