Monday, July 13, 2009

July 12, 2009

July 12, 2009
 
WHAT A ****ING LOSER ! ! ! !
!
 
Well ... today was my first day of work at my new job ! And I spent half my shift at the South Similkameen Health Centre's Emergency Ward, getting my severely cut thumb stitched ! ! !
 
First time in my life that I've had stitches ! And the first time in my employer's two year history that they have a Worker's Compensation injury claim to be filed !
 
( huge sigh )
 
I accepted a summer job with Doug's Homestead, a "Mom & Pop" meat processing and sales shop on the outskirts of Hedley. I don't know how long Doug's Homestead has existed. The current owners bought it from Doug 2 years ago. They process all their own product. They seem to be very well known throughout the B.C. Interior for their beef jerky and pepperoni. In the 2¾ hours that I actually worked today, they did a booming business in beef jerky and pepperoni.
 
The owners are Brent and Linette, a couple in their thirties with a baby. Brent runs the operations side of the business. Linette seems to run the "business" side of the business, while caring for their baby. This morning I met with Linette to take care of hiring details, then began to work with Brent, and an employee, Patty. While slicing sides of bacon on an electric slicer, I ... I don't know ? ! ? The damn thing bit me ! Hard ! ! ! Now, late in the afternoon, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly happened, and why !
 
( huge sigh )
 
I spewed blood all over. The slicer will have to be completely disassembled and sanitized. A huge side of bacon had to be discarded. I bled all over the apron I was wearing, and all over the floor before I made it to the bathroom. Brent applied first aid, but the bleeding was profuse ! I refused to allow him to drive me from Hedley to the emergency ward in Keremeos. I felt that I had already caused enough of a disruption and inconvenience. I drove myself. Linette phoned the South Similkameen Health Centre ( known locally as the Keremeos Clinic ) to advise the doctor on call that an emergency was on its way !
 
When I arrived at the Keremeos Clinic, about 30 km. from Hedley, my thumb was still bleeding profusely. Dr. Partridge put me in an examining room while he finished with another laceration emergency. What ? Sundays are the day to cut your fingers ? ? ? The bleeding continued and continued. It's now 4 hours later, and my finger still seems to be bleeding ! Dr. Partridge ascertained that I had cut into, but not through, the extensor tendon in my thumb. It took 4 stitches to close the wound.
 
When I left the clinic, I crossed the street, to Dave's Fruits & Veggies, to advise Joanne of how my first day of work was going. HA HA HA ( SNORT ) HA HA ! ! ! I drove back to Doug's Homestead in Hedley, as I advised Brent and Linette I would do after I was finished at the clinic. Linette was gone home for the day.
 
I want this job ! I hope they will give me a second chance. Brent seemed inclined to, but ... there seemed to be an implication that Linette might not. And she seems to be the decision maker in personnel matters.
 
I feel like such a ****ing loser right now ! AND MY THUMB HURTS !
 
DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment