Thursday, July 16, 2009

July 14 & 15, 2009

July 14, 2009
 
When we returned home after a day of running errands in Penticton, there was a voice mail message on our phone from Brent at Doug's Homestead. He had called to advise me, in very vague and uncertain terms, that my employment was terminated. So ... I got online, and filed an employee's report of accident / injury with the Worker's Compensation Board. As a small business owner for 14 years, I have had more than a few occasions to deal with the Worker's Compensation Board from an employer's perspective. It was never a pleasant experience. And I never did anything as stupid as firing an employee because they were injured.
 
Let the chips fall where they may ! ! !
 
Tonight I removed the dressing applied by the doctor in the emergency ward, cleaned my thumb, and applied a fresh dressing. YUCK ... my thumb looks pretty gruesome !
 
July 15, 2009
 
Well, tonight I finished the rebuilding and replacement of the lower rear quarter of one side of the trailer that was damaged by the exploding tire in Mexico. It was a huge undertaking, but ... bit by bit ... I got it done. A custom engineered and fabricated new lower side skirt and wheel moulding, wheel well, and belly panel, made mostly from a 2009 Citation fifth wheel trailer’s fiberglass lower skirt and other fiberglass panels, all of which I scavenged from the scrap pile of a Penticton fiberglass manufacturer. And the job is near perfect.
 
I should be ecstatic. But all I can "see" are the two extremely minor ( and not visible ) flaws / errors in the job. My obsession / compulsion with perfection is in "overdrive", fuelled by the loss of my self-esteem that bled out through the gruesome, stitched laceration in my thumb !
 
I have a magic show to perform in 2½ weeks. I doubt that my thumb will be sufficiently healed by then to permit me to perform magic. ( sigh )
 
DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment