Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 25, 2009

July 25, 2009
 
Well, Teddy is still alive. And that's nothing short of a miracle, given his condition yesterday. He was as close to death as a creature can be, and not be dead ! Blood and mucous coming out of his nostrils, unable to breathe. Gurgling sounds as he struggles to breathe, drowning in the attempt. Barely conscious.
 
We decided that instead of administering 200 ml. of saline solution subcutaneously every second day as instructed by the vet, we would administer 100 ml. daily. So yesterday and today we poked a butterfly catheter needle into the scruff of his neck and injected two huge syringes of saline solution into him. And I think that's been a big help in keeping him alive. Today his condition wasn't quite as critical as yesterday, so we're hopeful that the worse is over, and he will survive. Hang in there Teddy ... the antibiotics have begun to work, and you're going to get better within a week.
 
This afternoon was an "extraordinary meeting" of the Riverside RV Park Society, our "homeowner's association", to deal with a voting issue which has been plaguing us for 2 years already. And because most lot owners were here today for the meeting, the Society's Board of Directors scheduled a "Volunteers' Appreciation Barbecue" for tonight. The Board of Directors was going to put on a barbecue to express appreciation for the lot owners who have, in one way or another, volunteered their time and services to the benefit of the park.
 
A week or two ago, I received a request by e-mail, from a member of the Board, asking if I would "bring my barbecue and help cook". I found that request rather odd, given that I'm not a member of the Board, but I considered it to be bad form to say "no" when requested to do something, so I said "well ... okay". Well, here I sit, very late at night, stunned and appalled at what took place at this barbecue.
 
There was no organization ... no "leadership" ... no sense of "who's on first". Pretty much a complete abdication of responsibility by almost all the members of our Board !
 
I showed up with my barbecue, and "reported for duty" to the member of the Board who had made the request to me. She led me to the fridge in the Lodge where there were two large boxes of chicken legs and thighs to be barbecued. And another member of the Board who apparently had also been "recruited" to cook. I surmised that he was "in charge" and I was going to be "helping" him. It soon became obvious that he thought exactly the opposite. So ... after he and I danced around the "who's on first" issue for a few minutes ... being the impatient control freak that I am ... I took charge. And barbecued chicken for 85 people ! ! !
 
Another resident jumped in to help out, and certainly pulled his fair share of the workload. He and I manned three barbecues, to cook chicken for 85 people. The member of the Board whom I had initially assumed was "in charge" helped quite a bit, as I barked commands at him. Of the remaining members of the Board, one was absent, despite having attended the special meeting a couple of hours earlier. One disgustingly played "hospodar"! Ask a Ukrainian what that means ! The rest of them mingled and socialized, all apparently believing that "it was somebody else's responsibility".
 
That's called "abdication", people ! And I say to our Board ... tonight's "Volunteers' Appreciation Barbecue" was an appalling example of lack of organization, lack of planning, and lack of responsibility ! And ... just for balance ... I can't say I'm all that impressed with the 80% of the 85 people who have never lifted a finger to "volunteer" for anything in the park, but have no qualms about attending a "Volunteers' Appreciation" event with free food !
 
When I was finished cooking the chicken for 85 people, I sat down by myself to eat a couple of pieces of chicken and some potato salad, then picked up my barbecue and went home to take care of Teddy. The word that Joanne thought was apt to describe what happened to me tonight was "railroaded".
 
DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment