Sunday, October 4, 2009

October 3 & 4, 2009

( sigh ) Well ... I am typing this on Sunday evening on a laptop computer borrowed from a neighbour. Thanks to Sully, yesterday I destroyed my laptop computer.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

This morning I was emptying a Damp Rid container. Damp Rid is a moisture absorbent dehumidifying system. We use it, as do many RV'ers, to reduce condensation in the trailer, particularly at this time of the year. It is a slotted tub of moisture absorbing crystals nestled within a slightly larger tub. The crystals suck moisture out of the air, and the moisture drips through the slotted inner container into the slightly larger outer container.

I was walking with a Damp Rid container from the bedroom to the door, to go outside and empty the collected liquid. The collected liquid is water and the dissolved crystals, whatever chemicals they are. The liquid is greasy. As I reached for the door handle, Sully began to retch loudly in the bathroom hallway. I rushed to assist him, pushing him lightly away from the hallway carpet that he was standing on, and pulling the carpet away from him. He retched and vomited. Poor Sully. He's been having some intestinal problems since we got him a few days ago. He's been constipated, and seems to be also suffering from a hairball problem. I guess he didn't get the level of care in the shelter that he was used to, or needs. Anyway, I comforted him until he was finished retching and puking, then ( sigh ) cleaned up the mess.

I had no recollection of what I had done with the Damp Rid container. I found it where I had evidently placed it ... quickly. It was on the corner of my desk. Tipped over ! Onto my computer ! All the liquid had drained out onto the keyboard, and had already soaked through and was now leaking out the bottom of the computer onto the desk. The lithium battery pack on the underside of the laptop was smoking and sizzling. YIKES ! I unplugged it and ran outside with it, hoping that the lithium battery wouldn't burst into flames while I was carrying it.

My laptop is dead ! Really, really dead !

Today was our neighbour's daughter's wedding. Jerry and Janet have been planning for and preparing all summer for their daughter's wedding, held here at Riverside RV Park Resort. And our grounds and orchard were quite a lovely place to have an outdoor fall wedding. There were about 130 wedding guests. And the wedding was a three day affair. Of course ! Janet is Ukrainian ! HA HA HA ! Every motel room, B & B guest room, and friend's spare bedroom, in Keremeos and Hedley were filled with wedding guests.

Yesterday evening there was a large pre-wedding party at the Gold Dust Pub in Hedley. One of the wedding guests had a single vehicle accident on the highway between Keremeos and Riverside RV Park Resort. No injuries, but a wrecked car !

This morning Janet took three busloads of wedding guests on a winery tour, similar to the one we went on as a group a week or so ago. The wedding ceremony was held in the afternoon in our RV park's orchard beside the river. Very lovely setting, made even more lovely by Janet's decorating. We've been teasing her this week about having leased 100 pumpkins. HA HA HA ! She got 100 pumpkins from a local fruit stand, but made arrangements to return them to the fruit stand after the wedding.

A caterer supplied everything except meat for the informal dinner. Jerry had recruited me to be the "chef" for the barbecue dinner. With assistance from another neighbour, Brett ( thanks for the loan of this computer, Brett ), I barbecued a lot of hamburger patties, wieners, vegi-burgers, and huge Portobello mushrooms. After dinner Joanne washed dishes. A lot of dishes ! Including Joanne and me, about a half dozen residents of Riverside RV Park Resort helped out with the wedding reception. While I waited for Joanne to finish washing dishes, I went home to get a flashlight, and brought Bo back to the wedding reception. Woo-Hoo ... Bo loves parties. Gee ... I never realized what a "chick magnet" Bo is. HA HA HA !

Sunday, October 4, 2009

This morning Jerry & Janet hosted an outdoor pancake breakfast for their daughter's wedding guests. I made balloon animals for the children. After everyone had finished breakfast, I performed a magic show. It was a beautiful, sunny, warm fall day. Unfortunately the good weather was one day late. Yesterday's wedding ceremony took place on a cloudy, cool day with intermittent rain.

This afternoon I spent an hour or so sitting outside on the swing with Sully. He's very sweet, and enjoys "cuddle time". He seems a little intimidated by the outdoors, which is a good thing, from my perspective. We're slowly learning about one another. His health is improving. His intestinal problems are diminishing. He's eating and drinking better. We miss Teddy, but we're certainly pleased to now have Sully in our lives. He and Bo are becoming more comfortable with each another. Sully no longer walks around Bo when he needs to get by him. He just steps over him. HA HA HA !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment