Sunday, June 20, 2010

June 13 to 19, 2010

June 13 to 19. 2010


Sunday was a nice, sunny, hot day. Haven’t had many of those yet this year ! I spent most of the day doing outside chores. I drilled a multitude of holes in the ground around our big Douglas Fir tree. Joanne filled the holes with evergreen fertilizer, then watered it. We’re fertilizing our big tree in an attempt to rejuvenate it. It’s looking a little “tired”. The consensus seems to be either winter damage or Tussock Moth damage. I wouldn’t know a Tussock Moth if it stood up and bit my ass ! I washed my bicycle. I washed the truck. I waxed and polished the front of the trailer. Where was Joanne while I was doing all that, you might ask ? Well … she was sleeping ! She laid down after lunch with me and Sully, and fell asleep until supper time ! ! !

Monday was our shopping in Penticton day. When we arrived home around supper time, we immediately dumped some bags of soil that we bought today into our new little garden beside the gazebo, and planted the bedding plants we bought on Saturday. I don’t think they’re going to survive. They looked fine in the greenhouse on Saturday morning, but after sitting in our yard for 2½ days, I think they’re dead !

On Wednesday … before the heavy rain began … I “finished” the gazebo, installing the last few pieces of hardware I purchased on Monday in Penticton. Joanne defrosted the fridge, which allowed me to clean out the fridge’s external drain hose. I repaired a leaky kitchen faucet. I repaired the bedroom’s folding door … that I broke on Tuesday while we were flipping and rotating the bed mattress.

Friday was June 18th, the sixth anniversary of starting our full time RV lifestyle. WOW … six years with no other home than Harvey the fifth wheel trailer. One hundred and ninety thousand kilometres / one hundred and seventeen thousand miles, ten Canadian provinces, forty-one American states, seventeen Mexican states ! ! ! That’s a lot of exploration ! ! ! We feel very privileged to already have experienced a longer retirement than many people, and with good health and a lot of adventure. We certainly have had more “retirement” than any of our parents did ! Yeah … as odd as it was, we made the right decision when we “retired” at age 49 ( me ) / 50 ( Joanne ). Our first day on the road, June 18, 2004, was a perfect weather day. I have always measured the quality of any given day’s weather by comparing it to that day. Well today was somewhat less than a “June 18” day. We had planned to celebrate this anniversary by preparing a picnic supper of barbecued pollo asado and potato salad, then driving to Yellow Lake to have a picnic and take advantage of BC’s once per year free fishing weekend, when fishing is allowed without a fishing license. While I was barbecuing the chicken, it began to rain heavily. That put an end to our picnic and fishing plans. We spent the evening playing Scrabble, something we haven’t done in a long time. HMPH … I lost !

Saturday was a bit of a wasted day … sort of … maybe … ! This morning Joanne encouraged me to go fishing at Yellow Lake since the weather seemed fairly decent … a bit of a rarity around here lately. I wanted to go in the evening, but she pointed out that the weather might not be so nice by the evening. And as it turned out … she was quite right ! Yet again ! She prepared a picnic lunch and we set off for an afternoon of fishing at Yellow Lake. Well, the weather was nice all afternoon, and we had a pleasant time sitting by the lake. But I didn’t catch any fish. Yellow Lake has Rainbow Trout and Brook Trout. I don’t really have the right fishing gear to fish for trout. And I don’t really have the right knowledge and / or skill either. So it was pretty much a wasted afternoon. And a waste of five bucks worth of worms ! In hindsight, maybe I should have stayed home and accomplished my list of planned chores and errands for today.
DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment