Sunday, June 3, 2012

May 27 to June 2, 2012

Sunday ; Today was sunny and warm, but very windy.

We had a fairly lazy day today. We dried some apple slices in the Sun Oven. I did some minor maintenance work inside the trailer. While doing that I discovered ... not for the first time ... some really lazy and sloppy workmanship by the manufacturer. I rectified that as best as I could. We did agility and obedience training with Bo. Good dog, Bo !

Monday ; Today was sunny and mild until late in the afternoon when it became cloudy and a few drops of rain fell.

This morning we headed into town to have our lab work done and run a few errands. At the health lab Joanne had blood drawn for testing and I had an EKG. The lazy / stupid / disrespectful lab technician from last Friday was not in today. Today's technician was polite, professional, and prompt. After we were finished at the lab we did some grocery shopping, refilled a propane tank, and went to view a used truck camper for sale. We wanted to see how much truck camper can be purchased for $7500. What we saw today was a 1996 model and in very good shape for its age. It had a "wet bath" and we want a truck camper with a "dry bath". And ... we're a long way from being ready to buy a truck camper. It's a few years away yet.

Back at home Joanne continued working on cleaning the street side of the trailer which has a lot of diesel soot grime from the trip home from the south. I contributed by napping with Sully. HA HA HA ! I removed the kitchen rear window valance and then the day / night shade. We took it into the gazebo and using the restringing kit we bought in Yuma we restrung it. WOO-HOO ! Over the years we have needed to have a few of the trailer's day / night shades restrung. It's always been difficult to find some one / some place that can restring day / night shades. And when we do find some place / some one, it's been expensive. So ... a year and a half ago ... the last time we needed to have a shade restrung ... in Yuma ... I had the shade restrung ... AND ... I bought a DIY shade restringing kit. We have heard horror stories about how difficult it is to restring shades. BUT ... today's experience wasn't as difficult as I had expected it would be.

After restringing the shade Joanne wanted to clean it before remounting it. We took it into the shower stall, sprayed Awesome cleaner all over it, then rinsed it off with the shower. A lot of grime washed away. We hung the shade outside to dry, then remounted it in the kitchen. EUUUUUWWWWW ... it made the other kitchen shade look positively filthy ! So ... < sigh > ... now "remove and clean valances and shades" is on my "to do" list. Oh, joy !

AHHHHH ... finally ! Perogies for supper ! See what good can come from letting me do the grocery shopping? HA HA HA !

Tuesday ; A mild day of intermittent sunshine. All in all ... not great weather for the entire month of May. Third year in a row !

Joanne continued working on washing the street side of the trailer to remove diesel soot grime. I removed the valance and day / night shade from the window over the kitchen sink. We cleaned the day / night shade. It's the closest shade to the stove top so it was grimy with ... grease, I guess. It did not wash as clean as the shade yesterday.

Wednesday ; TWO YEARS AS NON-SMOKER

Congratulations, Daniel, well done !

Today was another mild, partially sunny day. And right on cue ( end of May ) the mosquitoes arrived ! Late in the evening it began to rain lightly.

This morning I did a "home improvement" project on the trailer, changing two plumbing connections on the water heater to a different and better type of fitting. This afternoon I went to my doctor to have a skin tag removed from my neck. I had one large skin tag and a couple ( I thought ) of smaller ones. It seemed sensible to get rid of the smaller ones at the same time, so I suggested to my doctor that he might as well remove the little ones also. Well ... he went on a skin tag quest, finding and removing a total of nine from my neck and chest and shoulders. OUCH ! ! ! He froze eight of them, then removed nine of them by cutting them off with a scalpel and cauterizing them with silver nitrate. OUCH OUCH OUCH ! ! ! You missed freezing one, doc ! As I type this late at night, all nine wounds are hurting !

I look like I've been shot nine times ! Or once ... with a shotgun ! HA HA HA ! Nine little black wounds on my neck, upper chest and shoulders.

I bought some hardware I needed while I was in town. Back at home I used the hardware to install a sewer hose storage pipe that I purchased at Camping World in Boise, Idaho on our way home. I'm tired of cramming both our long and short sewer hoses into the rear bumper of the trailer. There's not really enough room for both of them in the rear bumper. Now I have a sewer hose storage pipe for the short sewer hose, and the rear bumper for the long sewer hose. However ... after I finished the installation, I decided that there's a better way to do it. I need a bit more hardware !

I barbecued Arctic Char for supper. First time we've had Arctic Char. HMPH ... very similar to salmon.

Thursday ; This morning we drove into town to buy some groceries and the hardware I needed. This afternoon I revised my sewer hose storage pipe installation. There ... that's better ! Tonight we had a "date night". We went to the annual performance by the Thursday Night Jazz Band in the Cawston Community Hall. It was a fundraiser for the Music Under The K scholarship fund. The Thursday Night Jazz Band is a "big band / swing band" jazz band from Penticton. The performance was ... okay, I guess. It wasn't worth the money charged, but ... it was a scholarship fund raiser. The bad news of the evening was ... I tore a brand new pair of pants, worn for the first time this week, on a damaged chair in the Cawston Community Hall. Don't sweat the small stuff, I guess
< shrug >. The good news of the evening was ... I bought a huge plate full of home made baking for two bucks after the concert was over. The donated baking was being sold to munch on during the music performance, but they had so much left over they were selling it after the concert at two bucks for as much as you could pile on a plate.

Friday ; Today was mostly sunny and warm. This morning we headed out, westbound on Highway 3. Just outside the front gate of Riverside RV Park Resort there was a car overturned in the ditch. We stopped to offer assistance. The very fortunate female driver had already been helped out of her overturned car by Good Samaritans who had stopped. She was very fortunate. A few seconds earlier, or a few seconds later, and she would have been dead ! She missed a telephone pole by mere feet, and her rollover had been cushioned by heavy shrub growth in the ditch. Maybe when you get your car fixed / replaced, dear, you ( and the rest of your Lower Mainland friends ) should try to drive the curves on Highway 3 even faster ! ! !

We turned off Highway 3 just west of Hedley to follow Old Hedley Road from Hedley to Princeton. We were looking for copper coloured rocks < rolling eyes >. A neighbour has done some landscaping with copper coloured rocks that she found somewhere along Old Hedley Road, and Joanne wants to do the same. Shortly before reaching Princeton we did find a vein of copper coloured mountainside with a rockslide of copper coloured rocks sliding down the slope almost to the road's edge. Joanne wanted to collect rocks on the way back home.

But first ... we drove to Princeton, then northeast along the Princeton - Summerland Road for about 19 km. / 12 miles looking for a piece of real estate for sale that Joanne wanted to see. It was an "off the grid" property that ( in my humble opinion ... not hers ) looked more like something "on the rez" than "off the grid". We drove back to Princeton and did some grocery shopping at the nice, new grocery store in town. We had a picnic lunch alongside the Similkameen River on the edge of town. While we sat at a picnic table eating our lunch we watched a deer munching on leaves on the shoreline on the other side of the river from us.

We drove back along Old Hedley Road and stopped to pick copper coloured rocks. We collected over 200 copper coloured rocks of varying sizes. I hope that will be enough for Joanne's "rockscaping" idea. She wants to create a somewhat free form flower bed alongside one entire edge of our lot, about 50 feet long. Good luck with that ! Wake me up when you're done ! HA HA HA !

For supper I made and barbecued big, thick hamburger patties, mixing fresh dill from Joanne's herb garden into the fresh ground beef, then ( despite Joanne's protests ) mixed fresh cilantro from the herb garden into the home made cole slaw Joanne was making. The dill in the burgers and the cilantro in the cole slaw were both big successes. HA ... told ya so !

I spent the late part of the evening updating and analyzing our investment files. Our investment losses for the month of May were ... huge ! ! ! < heavy sigh >

Saturday ; Well ... I have been dissatisfied with the weather almost every day since we returned home about five weeks ago ! Today was sunny and mild, with an icy cold strong wind.

Joanne spent much of today creating her rock garden along one side of our yard. It's very nice ! But ... more rocks are required. We'll have to make another rock collecting trip to Princeton along Old Hedley Road soon.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment