Sunday, July 20, 2014

July 13 to 19, 2014

Sunday ; Sunny and beyond hot, temperature 106 degrees F. / 41.5 degrees C. at
3 PM. Highest temperature we've experienced in the eight summers we've lived here.

I continued working on the truck camper rot repair project. I can't accomplish much in this heat. I work briefly, rest ... repeat. Progress is slow, but steady. And no insurmountable problems ... yet. I am rebuilding with pressure treated wood and aluminum, so the finished product will be vastly superior to the original.


Monday ; Early this morning we had a violent thunderstorm, a rare occurrence for here. It served to cool down the temperature, but ... now it’s humid / muggy.

I continued working on the truck camper rot repair project, but ... I reached a point where I couldn’t go any further until I buy some materials. So ... I read and napped with Sully. Tough job, but someone’s got to do it ! HA HA HA !

A neighbour came over this afternoon carrying two hummingbirds in her hand. They had smashed into her window. Unfortunately, one was already dead. The other one ... survived. It was conscious, but immobile. It was breathing fine. It seemed to have an injured wing. After examining it, I set it on a towel on our picnic table, and dribbled some water on it, stimulating it to move around a bit, including folding its injured wing back to its body. I left it resting on the towel on the picnic table, and after about fifteen minutes ... it flew away. WOO-HOO ! Good luck, little hummingbird.


Tuesday ; A long, hot day of running errands in Penticton. Temperature when we arrived back home at 6:15 PM was 102º F / 39º C.


Wednesday ; WHEW ! HOT !

My next door neighbour ... the "weekender" ... is here for a week of holidays. He invited me to go fly fishing this morning. He's my fly fishing "mentor". We drove about a mile or so towards town, then off the highway, and through the bush to the river's edge. We spent a couple of hours fishing. I caught three Rainbow Trout, keeping two for supper tomorrow and releasing one that was too small. Rainbow Trout are beautiful fish ! However ... I did not realize until later in the afternoon ... after a couple of hours of fishing without a shirt ... I was sun burned !

I spent the afternoon continuing work on the truck camper rot repair project. Progress is slow, but ... coming along. However ... again ... some dumbass didn't realize he was getting entirely way too much sun and heat until ... I was feeling nauseous and ... well ... you know ... ready to pass out. DUH ! ! ! I went indoors, drank a lot, and napped briefly. DUH ! ! ! And ... inexplicably ... some little wifey was pissed off at me. HA HA HA !


Thursday ; Sunny and hot.

Went into Keremeos this morning to run errands. Spent the afternoon working on the camper rot repair project. I'm feeling a bit exasperated. The more I work on this job, the more complicated it becomes, and it seems that each time I complete something, it results in another unexpected "twist". The repair job that keeps on growing !


Friday ; Mostly sunny, hot, humid.

Reluctantly I headed to Penticton this morning. I dislike having to drive all the way to Penticton and back twice in one week, but ... I needed some camper rot repair project materials. I bought one of the two items I needed at Rona, then had to go to a couple of custom fabrication businesses to get the other item custom made. Went to small engine repair shop where I had left generator a couple of weeks ago for a service diagnosis.
< sigh > Diagnosis was "BER" ! Beyond economical repair. Owed the shop forty bucks for half hour of labour for diagnosis. Fair enough. A year ago I paid the same shop twenty bucks for a used part I desperately needed. Sold generator back to shop to be cannibalized for parts. Negotiated a very reasonable deal. Forty buck service charge forgiven, twenty bucks spent last year refunded to me today. Great ! Sold a worthless piece of junk for twenty bucks.

Spent the afternoon working on camper rot repair project. Almost done ! One more day should do it, I think. At 6 PM went fishing. Drove a couple of miles downstream to where I fished with neighbour a couple of days ago. Fished for an hour, caught one very nice size Rainbow Trout. Mismanaged and lost second one. DARN ! Need two for a meal for us. This one went into freezer after I cleaned it. Maybe I can get another one tomorrow ? Starting to get the hang of fly fishing, I think

 

Saturday ; Mostly sunny, hot, windy.

We went into town this morning to refill a propane tank and water jug. Spent the afternoon completing the truck camper rot repair project.

Yes, yes ... I'm finished ! It was a tough job, more complicated than I had expected, and took longer than I had expected it would.

When I finished late in the afternoon I decided to reward myself by going fishing for a couple of hours. I got to my fishing spot and realized ... I was really tired. I was really hungry. It was really windy. I fished for about half an hour, then returned home.





DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment