Sunday, July 6, 2014

June 29 to July 5, 2014

Sunday ; Sunny and warm at home, sunny and hot in Osoyoos.

Holy mackerel ... < blink blink > ... ! I should put together small packages of Saskatoon Berries and market them as dog laxative ! Bo ... how did you manage to eat that many Saskatoons ? ! ?

After driving to Osoyoos the other day to see a band at the Desert Live Music Festival, and being disappointed, I was reluctant to give it another try. But I am certainly glad that I did. This afternoon I drove to Osoyoos again, this time to see a blues band. And they were excellent ! Three fat old men, about my age ( and body style ... HA HA HA ) playing hard rockin' blues.

This evening I picked Saskatoons from a bush that I had never picked before, alongside the highway outside our park's fence. Somewhat difficult bush to get to, but ... very large and sweet Saskatoons. MMMMM ! As soon as Joanne is home in a few days I will ask her to make me a Saskatoon Matrimonial Cake. PLEASE ! ! !

< blink blink > I lost how much money in the stock market last week ? ! ?

Monday ; Sunny and hot, 86 degrees F. / 30 degrees C., low humidity, very light breeze. Perfect weather from my perspective !

Oh, boy ... I realize as I begin to type this ( at 7 PM ) that I'm getting excited about Joanne's return home tomorrow night. I've missed her.

This morning I asked a ( weekender ) neighbour for some help with a couple of tasks that needed an extra set of hands, then I chatted with him for awhile before he and his wife departed to return to their home in Vancouver. I watered our plants and gardens and composters.

In the afternoon I sanded the top of Joanne's ( very expensive ) cutlery box. We didn't have it for nine years, our friend Sep had it, and when he gave it back to us last year ( because we now have a house ) there was a tiny bit of "mover damage" on the top. While it was in Sep's possession he and his wife moved from Kingston, Ontario to Medicine Hat, Alberta. Sanding such a fine piece of wood was challenging. Then
I disassembled our dining room table and sanded one side / one half of the top. It had been burned by placing something hot on top of a place mat. Moral ; don't use a place mat as a hot pad !

In the evening I worked on month end banking reconciliations and month end investment updates.

Tuesday ; CANADA DAY ; Happy 147th Birthday, Canada

Geeeeezzzzz ... I remember Canada's 100th Birthday / Centennial, spent with my family camping at Rushing River Provincial Park, 47 years ago, like it was yesterday. 
I wonder if my brother, who was just about to turn six years old, remembers the large Painted Turtle we "rescued" and took home to Winnipeg with us. The first of what would turn out to be a life long habit of animal "rescues", some of which were really very ill advised ... like that turtle. HA HA HA !

And I remember the Canada Day in Ottawa in 1990 when I was departing Ottawa airport to go pick up some friends in Kitchener, Ontario, and bring them back to celebrate Canada Day evening on Parliament Hill with us. I called Ottawa Ground Control for taxi clearance moments before the Canadian Forces aerobatics team "The Snowbirds" were taking off for a fly by over the Parliament Buildings.

"Ottawa Ground, Cessna 172 Golf Charlie Victor Oscar ready for taxi from the flying club."

"Charlie Victor Oscar, Ground, cleared for taxi to runway 32 via Romeo, Quebec, Papa and Alpha."

"Ottawa Ground ... Snowbirds ... nine to taxi."

"Snowbirds ... Ground ... wait ... < snicker > ... Cessna traffic."

And as I "putt putt" past the military apron nine Tudor jets, lined up in a "V" formation, turn their landing lights on me as I taxi by them ... like they're glaring at me ! As they taxi out onto taxiway Alpha following behind me.

HA HA HA HA HA ! Follow the little Cessna, boys !

Today was sunny and hot, temperature 91degrees F. / 33 degrees C. I thought it was quite nice, actually. I puttered around with routine chores this morning. After lunch
I headed into Penticton. I did a lot of grocery shopping. I knew that my little wifey would not be impressed if she came home to an empty fridge and bare cupboards. After grocery shopping I met a couple from Summerland in the parking lot of the now defunct PETCETERA store and ... sold them the double size, futon style mattress that came in our truck camper. We've replaced it with a Queen size mattress.

Then ... I went flying. After being postponed / rescheduled twice, tonight I finally did my annual pilot proficiency "check ride" flight. My examiner was not the usual female flight instructor I've flown with before, but the very new owner of the flight school / airplane rental business. Hot day, lots of thermals rising, but an uneventful check ride.

Had a late supper at Dairy Queen then headed to the Greyhound bus depot to pick up Joanne arriving on the 9:05 PM bus. When I saw earlier today on the noon news that Western Manitoba and Eastern Saskatchewan were suffering from flooding, and portions of the Trans-Canada Highway were closed yesterday, I was concerned that Joanne's bus might be late, or she might not even be on the bus if she missed connections in Calgary or Kamloops. The 9:05 PM bus arrived at ... 9:05 PM ... and Joanne was on it.

As we drove home she told me about her trip. I did not know until tonight that she was very ill for most of her Winnipeg visit, and even had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. SHEEEEESH ! She's still not very healthy.

I will take good care of my darling !

Wednesday ; Sunny, hot, humid, a bit of rain in the afternoon.

We picked Saskatoons again this afternoon. Bountiful crop this year, but obviously short lived. The berries are already drying out on the bush.

It's nice to have Joanne home. But ... she's still quite ill with a flu virus.

Thursday ; Sunny and hot.

At noon we left for Penticton. Joanne was scheduled for a mammogram, the last of her annual cancer screening tests. So far, so good ... again. We spent the rest of the afternoon running shopping errands in Penticton before returning home.

As soon as we arrived home Joanne went to nap for ... most of the rest of the day. She's still sick.

Friday ; Mostly sunny, hot, humid.

A day of vicious fighting with each other !

Saturday; Mostly sunny, hot, humid.

A day of trying to repair yesterday's damage !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment