Sunday, January 18, 2015

January 11 to 17, 2015

Sunday ; Cloudy, mild, intermittent rain ... first time we've seen a rainbow over Yuma.

Day four of my cold. Still miserable, but not quite as bad. This morning we went shopping to Yuma Swap Meet ( previously known as Yuma Park N Swap ) a.k.a. Dog Track Flea Market a.k.a. Swap Meet Los Perros. Joanne loves this Mexican flea market. Asked today if we could go weekly ?    NO !   I bought everything on my flea market "guy stuff" shopping list while Joanne browsed on her own. We shopped together for produce. Oh, boy ... nice little beets. And nice little jicamas ( pronounced "HEEKamas" ).

We returned home for a late lunch. I napped. We trimmed Bo's dew claws. I did a caulking repair in the trailer's shower stall. We began work on reupholstering the final section of the trailer's bed slide's fascia. This last section will be the most complicated and difficult to do. Wish us luck ! We went on the daily pack walk, then attended the weekly ice cream social. We had a late supper of barbecued steak, barbecued beets, and sweet potato fries. MMMMM ! We watched Shipping Wars and Downton Abbey.

Monday ; Sunny and warm. Day five of my cold, and now that it has passed the peak of misery, I have generously passed it on to my wife < rolling eyes > ! Poor Joanne ... she became ill with a cold today.

This morning we went out to run errands ; refill diesel at Fry's, buy some advertised grocery specials at Fry's, buy some needed "guy stuff" at Harbor Freight, more advertised grocery specials at Smart & Final, then ... < insert drum roll here > ... date shakes for lunch at Martha's Gardens. Bo was SOOOOO happy ! ! ! HA HA HA ! Poor, deprived, little dog ... hasn't had a date shake since ... a month and a half ago ! ! !
HA HA HA !

This afternoon we continued working on the final section of the reupholstery project. And it went ... terrible ! We screwed up, then screwed up more, then screwed up again, and finally ... really screwed it up ! ! ! ! ! < big sigh > We squabbled, went on the daily pack walk, then worked on it some more. And screwed up some more ! Joanne finally went inside to phone her sister and work on supper, and I tried to salvage what we had done so far. And I mostly did ... I suppose. Maybe !

After supper we both kind of ran out of steam, thanks to our colds. We spent the evening watching TV, culminating in Celebrity Apprentice.

Tuesday ; Sunny and warm. Joanne was very ill today with a cold, sleeping until 2 PM. Fortunately, I was feeling better, so was able to take care of chores and animals, etc.

This afternoon I started the new, little generator that I bought on Black Friday, the second time I have started it, just to "exercise" it. The first time, a month ago, it ran flawlessly for ten minutes. Today, it ran for three minutes before it began to spew fuel ! A seal or fuel line or something burst. < sigh > I am quite frustrated with this ongoing generator drama which has been going on now for about ... < thinking > ... nine months already !

We met Kate, our friend Mary-Lou's new dog, a seven year old female Standard Poodle that was recently "retired" as a breeding bitch. Poor Kate is bewildered by everything in life, having never been exposed to "reality". She is just now experiencing everything in life, as a puppy does, but she's "middle aged".

I visited Rocky the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel today, two weeks after his ruptured disc surgery. The stitches were removed today, and he can now be allowed to return to "normal" activities, having been confined since the surgery.

Because Joanne was very ill, and I was a bit ill and was wrestling with the leaking generator, and we're working an adoption event this weekend, we did not go to the Humane Society today for our regular Tuesday afternoon shift of dog walking and cat cuddling.

We did a bit of planning and measuring work on the ongoing reupholstery project, so that we can buy the rest of the materials required. I removed ... and discarded ... the old, malfunctioning stereo unit out of the trailer's "entertainment center". Great ... now there's a large hole in the wall. We went on the daily pack walk ... twice around the dog park ... then I went cycling. HMPH ... guess I'm feeling better !

Wednesday ; Sunny and warm, a great day for the second annual Ronnie Labrecque Memorial Road Cleanup ... organized and executed by me ! My cold persists, but I'm improving. Joanne was so ill today she didn't even attend my road clean up event. DARN ... I certainly could have used her help !

We slept late. I did morning chores. I took Bo for an obedience session. I got everything ready for the 3 PM road clean up event and headed to the clubhouse at 2:15 PM. At
3 PM there were twenty-five people ready to clean up East County 17th Street from Avenue 3E to Avenue 4E, and the gentleman from Yuma County who is in charge of the "adopt a road" clean up program had arrived. I got the group organized into five teams, and assigned each team a section of road to clean up. Like herding cats !
Mr. Santos from Yuma County gave a safety lecture, then ... out the door we went !
An hour later ... the roadway was clean ! Mr. Santos hauled away the filled trash bags, and we all returned home to get ready for the 5 PM potluck. Well done, folks ! ! !

I resurrected this road clean up a year ago, as a tribute to Reynald "Ronnnie" Labrecque ( born in Quebec, Canada ) who started this road clean up more than ten years ago. He and his wife ... who still lives in the park ... were two of the founders of Kofa Ko-op RV Park thirty years ago. He died about four or five years ago, and the Kofa Ko-op "adoption" of East County 17th Street died with him until I resurrected it a year ago. Today Mr. Santos offered to make new "adopt a road" signage for East County 17th Street indicating that the road is being cleaned up by "Kofa Ko-op in memory of Ronnie Labrecque". What a great idea !

As I was leaving the trailer to head to the clubhouse at 5 PM for the potluck ... without Joanne ... her friend Eilene showed up with a pot of home made chicken soup for Joanne for supper. What a sweet lady Eilene is. Sweetest ninety-three year old I know ! HA HA HA ! After the potluck dinner I sat around and chatted in the clubhouse with two other Canadian couples until late in the evening.


Thursday ; Sunny and warm.

HMPH ! I must have pushed myself a bit too hard yesterday. My cold has "relapsed".
I was quite ill overnight and all day today. So ... now Joanne and I are both quite ill at the same time. How **** ing wonderful is that ? ! ? I had planned a day of running errands, but ... too sick for that today !

We sorted all the road clean up materials, including folding and packing two dozen safety vests, then I took it all over to the landscape shed to be stored until next year.
I picked up Eilene's recycling, and we went for a "drivey" to the recycling place. HMPH ... we sort of forgot to pick up Eilene's recycling when we were taking in our own recycling a few days ago. I napped, despite sleeping late this morning.

We went on the daily pack walk, then struggled and dragged ourselves through supper and the evening before going to sleep early.

Friday ; Sunny and warm. Joanne baked a liver and potatoes casserole in the Sun Oven today. We set it out before going out to run errands, and we took it out of the Sun Oven just before the daily pack walk.

We are both still very ill ! ! ! It's a struggle to get out of bed in the morning and get the day started. Disappointing and frustrating for me, as I was feeling much better on Tuesday, then ... PHHHHHT !

We went to Harbor Freight and I returned the fuel leaking defective generator for an exchange. No problem, except ... every cashier at Harbor Freight today had a line up of nine customers waiting ! Why don't they have more cashiers ? ! ? Or have a customer service counter dedicated to "high maintenance" customers like refunds and exchanges ? < fume >

From Harbor Freight we went to Yuma Palms Shopping Mall. I went to Best Buy to look for a new stereo for the trailer and Joanne went to PetsMart to buy dog food. When we were finished there Joanne was feeling very ill and wanted to return home. Okay ... we returned home, had some soup, and napped until it was time for the daily pack walk.

After the pack walk Joanne started working on our larger than usual load of laundry.
I worked online, paying bills, etc. We had supper, then watched half of an old movie, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. I LOOOOOVE early 70's Clint Eastwood movies. HA HA HA ! But I turned it off halfway through, and we resumed our remaining chores.

Saturday ; Happy 16th Birthday to Joannes niece Madeleine

Sixteen ! ! ! Sheesh !

Today was sunny and warm. We dragged ourselves out of bed very early in order to be at the Humane Society Mobile Adoption Event at Tractor Supply on the west side of Yuma, near Avenue B. I was a bit healthier today, especially later in the day. Joanne was not, and "working" for three and a half hours really dragged her down physically.

This was our third Mobile Adoption Event ... and it will be our last. It's a good idea ... poorly executed. And consequently ... a waste of our time ! We would make a much greater contribution to the welfare of the animals at the Humane Society by spending that much time dog walking and cat cuddling.

After finishing at the adoption event we went to True Value Hardware to search ( unsuccessfully ) for an item, then to Subway for a late lunch. We went Wal-Martin' at the Avenue B Wal-Mart, then returned home about 4 PM. Joanne was exhausted and ill and went for a long nap. I took Bo on the daily pack walk, then Laszlo, Gayle, and DeeOJee the Pit Bull came over for a long visit in our Arizona room.

After supper I noticed lights and activity in the dog park behind our rear fence. HUH ?
I went out to investigate. UH-OH ... Mary-Lou's skittish new dog Kate the Standard Poodle was loose and scared and lost in the dark in the seven acre dog park. I went into the dog park with Bo and a flashlight, and we went for a walk around the perimeter. I was hoping that Kate would come over to us since she has met Bo previously. No such luck, but ... Kate eventually allowed herself to be caught by Joanne. WHEW ! Well done, my dear !

DSK 

No comments:

Post a Comment