Sunday, July 5, 2015

June 28 to July 4, 2015

Sunday ; Happy 51st Birthday to Joanne's sister, Lorraine

Hot ! Humid ! Started out sunny. Joanne put a beef roast into the Sun Oven to cook, and by the time it was about halfway cooked ... the sun disappeared behind building cumulus clouds. Had to finish the roast in the house oven.

Had a lazy day. Did a Bo-gility session. Went into Keremeos to refill a water jug and then buy some fresh fruits and vegetables at Sanderson Farms. Read. Napped. Took Bo to the dog park. Joanne harvested lettuce from our vegetable garden. Lots of lettuce !

Monday ; Cloudy, very warm, humid, occasional heavy rain.

This morning we headed to Penticton for a day of running errands. We delayed our departure waiting for a roofing contractor who was supposed to come over at 10 AM and prepare an estimate. He didn't show !

We stopped in Keremeos so that I could request an estimate from K Mountain Auto Repair. Once in Penticton I dropped Joanne off at Value Village and went off to run some errands on my own while she shopped at Value Village's 50% off all clothing sale. I went to another auto repair shop to request another estimate, but they were closed for vacation for a couple of weeks. I shopped at Rona and at Andrew Sheret for a plumbing part I needed for the camper. I refilled the fuel in the minivan. When I returned to Value Village Joanne had selected only one article of clothing in all that time. I browsed quickly through men's clothing and selected some t-shirts and shorts. By the time I had tried them on ... Joanne had rejected the one article she had selected < rolling eyes >.

We had a late lunch at Burger King. I bought an item I needed at Staples. We shopped for ( a lot of ) groceries at Superstore. We went to Safeway for one advertised special. We went to Wal-Mart ... < sigh > ... !   We went to three different Dollar stores ... < more sighing > ... !  I would have been satisfied to call it quits after Superstore.

Once we were back at home I phoned the roofing contractor to reschedule. He offered no explanation for missing this morning's appointment. We agreed on a reschedule date and time then ... he instructed me to phone him the night before to "remind" him. WHAT ? ? ? You need the client to be your "calendar reminder". I don't ****ing think so ! ! ! As succinctly as I could I advised him ... < ahem > ... that we would not be doing business together !

After supper we watched another episode of The Bachelorette. That Canadian bimbo is certainly proving to be a bit of a slut, n'est-ca pas ?

Tuesday ; Sunny, hot, humid.

Another slightly lazy day. Joanne played "hooky" from her morning pool aerobics. We slept very late. After lunch I puttered around with some outdoor chores. We took some home made "TV dinners" over to Jeanine's and visited with her for awhile. Her second chemotherapy cycle yesterday was not as difficult for her as the first one a week ago.

Early in the evening, after it had cooled off a bit, we took Bo to the dog park. Joanne made her wonderful potato salad and I barbecued chicken burgers for supper. While we watched America's Got Talent I downloaded, printed, and reconciled our month end banking statements and investment updates. HMPH ... not a very good month in the stock market ! Lost a lot of money ! ! !

Wednesday ; CANADA DAY ; Happy 148th Birthday, Canada !

Sunny and hot. As has been the case for most of the nine Canada Days that we have spent living here, none of the local towns' / villages' / cities' Canada Day celebrations had enough to entice us to attend. So ... once again ... we just sort of ignored the fact that today was Canada Day.

We went into Keremeos this afternoon to refill our water jug and contact a local roofer to get an estimate. We drove to his home and I requested that he come out to our place and prepare an estimate, which he will ( hopefully ) do within the next week. We bought some fresh produce at Sanderson Farms on the way home. HOO-EEE ... the local "fruit stands" were all busy today.

Jeanine came over for dinner again tonight. She seems to be feeling healthier than a week ago.

Very late in the evening, just before bed time, I took Joanne out onto our deck, in the dark, lit two sparklers, and we sang O Canada while waving our burning sparklers around. Hope the neighbours didn't mind !

Thursday ; Sunny and hot. Joanne cooked a meatloaf in the Sun Oven for dinner tonight.

Another lazy day. We gave Bo a bath. I harvested a lot of lettuce. Our lettuce garden is wilting in the heat. We spent time cooling off in the swimming pool. At this hot time of the year it's wonderful to be in our pool with the huge glass doors rolled up, opening the pool to the outside. Early in the evening, as it cooled down, we took Bo to the dog park. Afterwards I sprayed a large wasp nest being built under the eave of the gazebo.

Friday ; Sunny and very hot. Joanne cooked a new recipe in the Sun Oven today ; chicken and cherries over rice. Sounded better than it tasted.

Too hot to do much of anything today. Joanne did laundry. I did minor truck maintenance, and watered plants and gardens. Late in the afternoon our next door neighbour arrived for the weekend. I invited him to go fly fishing. He taught me how to fly fish a couple of years ago and is my fly fishing mentor. He wanted to show me a "new" fishing hot spot of his. We hiked out to his "new" fishing hot spot and fished for about an hour. I caught nothing. Joe caught six Rainbow Trout. < blink blink > SHEESH !   I guess experience does count for something !

After about an hour, and six fish caught ( and released ), Joe had had enough. He returned home, and I hiked upstream to "my" fishing hot spot. I fished for about another hour, catching five fish, releasing one, and keeping four. HMPH ! So there !

After a very late supper we watched Biloxi Blues, an old movie that we've seen before, but still enjoy watching.

Saturday ; Sunny and very hot. Another day too hot to do much of anything. I made candied "smoked" Whitefish and Rainbow Trout in the Sun Oven.

This afternoon we went into town to buy some fresh produce. And to dispose of a bag of fish cleaning waste. I am now under strict orders to fish only on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Because our garbage pickup is early Friday morning. And Joanne will no longer tolerate fish guts in our garbage can for more than one day in hot weather. HA HA HA ! Yes, dear !

For supper we had a wonderful fresh Rainbow Trout meal. The recipe was a collaborative invention, and it turned out very well. I want to develop and refine this recipe in the future. Hint ; freshly picked sage leaves from Joanne's herb garden ... and cream !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment