Sunday, January 24, 2016

January 17 to 23, 2016

Sunday ; Happy 17th Birthday to Joanne's niece Madeleine

Seventeen ! WOW ! Wasn't that the age that I was when I ... no, never mind ! HA HA HA !

Sunny and warm again today. Joanne cooked a sausage and bean cassoulet in the Sun Oven today.

Today I finished the resealing project on the roof of the trailer. It is obvious to me now that the brutality of Yuma's summer sun makes it essential that I inspect and repair / reseal the trailer roof on an annual basis now that we leave the trailer here all summer in storage. We visited with our neighbours / friends Joe and Alene, and their Dachshund Lucy, who have just arrived. We will be "dog sitting" Lucy soon while Joe and Alene are on a cruise.

I printed and distributed the invitations to Bo's birthday party in a few weeks. We went on the daily pack walk. The pack has now grown to three dogs ; Bo, Riley, and Spanky. The "three musketeers" who started it all a few years ago. They are all happy to once again be "roaming" as a "pack".

We attended the weekly ice cream social. Afterwards we watched Doc Martin and Downton Abbey while having supper. This is the first time in the last few weeks that we have been able to receive PBS, and even so the reception today was poor.

Monday ; Mostly cloudy, warm.

This morning I did some truck maintenance then Joanne went shopping by herself. After she left I did some trailer maintenance.

After lunch I napped then did some gardening work. I watered all my plants and gardens. I "pruned" one of my Cholla Cacti. OW OW OW OW OW ! SHIT ! What a deadly plant ! I went to the storage area and "exercised" the generator in the truck camper. We took Bo on the daily pack walk. I went bicycling at sunset.

Yes, yes ... another routine day, but ... life is good !

Tuesday ; Sunny and warm. Buds are forming on my three Ocotillo Cacti. Winter is over !

Bo was very ill this morning. He slowly improved throughout the day so that by now ( 10 PM ) he is sleeping peacefully and seems to be healthy again. Yesterday as were walking around the dog park on the daily pack walk, one of this park's Landscape Committee members was sprinkling ant poison on ant hills in the dog park. I don't think that one has to be a rocket scientist to realize that sprinkling poison in a dog park is an exceptionally bad < read that "stupid" > idea ! I believe Bo may have ingested ant poison by sniffing.

This afternoon we went to the Humane Society for our regular Tuesday afternoon shift of dog walking and cat cuddling. It was nice to walk dogs in warm weather. First time this winter season that I didn't need to wear a sweater on my dog walking shift. Tonight I have a bit of a sore, stiff shoulder and neck from walking a large, difficult to control, Shar Pei mix.

After our Humane Society "shift" we went to Wally's World where I bought some hardware items I need. Back at home we went on the daily pack walk around the dog park, then I "demonstrated" our little generator for Laszlo. Their large generator was stolen from their truck last spring in California on their northward migration back to B.C. and now he is contemplating buying a small generator like ours.

I cooked Manitoba / Lake Winnipeg Pickerel for supper again tonight. It was SOOOOO good !

Wednesday ; Sunny and warm. Wore shorts for the first time since arriving here more than a month ago. Joanne prepared and I cooked a sausage and bean casserole in the Sun Oven today. It was our contribution to tonight's pot luck social.

Bo was once again very ill this morning, improving throughout the day. Now I don't believe it is an illness caused by ant poison. I think it's a viral illness.

Joanne spent the morning in the clubhouse working on a group sewing project. She was "unskilled labour". HA HA HA !   I spent the morning doing a truck repair that has been on my "to do" list for at least six months. I cut off and replaced a battery cable terminal clamp that had cracked. Easier said than done !

This afternoon I did some planning and preparing for some yard landscaping work
I want to do. And I did some computer maintenance work. We attended the weekly potluck social, chatting afterwards with table mates. We were pleased to share a table with Fred and Judy, neighbours of ours. Fred had open heart surgery eight days ago ! It was wonderful to see him already home, and active.

Thursday ; Partially sunny, thin clouds, warm. Joanne prepared and partially cooked a cake in the Sun Oven. Eventually it had to be moved to the oven in the trailer.

We had planned a day trip outing with Gail and Laszlo but Joanne cancelled. She has a UTI and did not want to be out tramping around in the desert when she has to urinate every half hour or so.

Bo continues to be ill. I stayed home with him, pampered him, and did some chores while Joanne went shopping, mostly for advertised grocery specials. I paid some bills, and cleaned some items we wish to sell at this park's upcoming yard sale.

I went on the daily pack walk ... without Bo. He was too ill to want to go. Afterwards
I went bicycling at dusk. While eating supper we watched a depressing documentary on CBC about the unnecessary use of deadly force by Canadian ( and American ) police forces. Both nations could and should learn a lot from the Brits, and their mostly unarmed police, about "de-escalating" tactics.

Friday ; Partially sunny, thin cloud cover, warm.

This morning I attended a meeting of the audit committee. It was the audit committee's first meeting of this year. And my first meeting as a member of the audit committee. It was interesting. And not surprisingly ... I didn't make any new friends. HA HA HA ! BUT ... if one wants to make new friends ... I don't think an audit committee is where one should try ! If one wants to make new friends ... try the Welcome Committee. HA HA HA ! Which I am also a member of !

After lunch we went to run some shopping errands. AND ... pick up the reupholstered truck camper dinette seating components. Nice reupholstery work ! Well done !

While shopping at the 99¢ Only Store I witnessed shoplifting. I brought it to the attention of store management, and the shoplifter was apprehended as he was leaving the store. Well done, Daniel ! Before the shoplifter was caught, as we continued shopping,
I noticed that he was part of a shoplifting "Gypsy gang" of six people ; four men and a couple. As soon as the first was apprehended, four of the remaining five discarded the merchandise they were each hiding / stealing, and left. Very well done, Daniel. Only the gang "boss" remained in the store, probably "safe" because he never actually steals anything. He has minions to do that for him ! He left the store ( without making a purchase ) at the same time as we did, and climbed into a very old camper van bearing out of state license plates. The rest of the gang were probably already inside the van waiting for him.

As a retired retailer, I have little tolerance for shoplifters. Well ... I have little tolerance for most things, but less for some than others. HA HA HA !

We returned home in time to join the daily pack walk. Bo seemed to be feeling slightly better today. He barked for the first time in four days. So ... maybe his throat was not as sore ? Although ... he was very cranky. He snapped at his buddy Riley. Bad dog, Bo !

Saturday ; Partially sunny, thin cloud cover, warm.

Late this morning we headed out to run some shopping errands. After finishing our shopping ... at Wal-Mart, in violation of my "no Wal-Martin' on weekends" rule ... we had lunch at Subway. After returning home we applied fabric protector spray to the newly reupholstered truck camper dinette seating components.

We took Bo on the daily pack walk. His health is improving. We're relieved ! At sunset
I went bicycling, as usual. Very lovely desert sunset tonight. I barbecued petite sirloin steaks for supper.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment