Sunday, January 31, 2016

January 24 to 30, 2016

Sunday ; Happy 68th Birthday to our good friend Lynne

Sunny and warm. A perfect "June 18" type of day. We cooked one of my favourite Sun Oven recipes today, served as a "Birthday Dinner" to Lynne ( and Bill ).

This morning and half the afternoon I worked on reinstalling the reupholstered dinette seating in the truck camper. WHEW ... tough job. And while the seating is reinstalled
... the project is not finished. I had to remove a fire extinguisher compartment and a tail light assembly and the generator storage compartment door ( and moulding and trim and insulation and ... ) to access mounting bolts and nuts under the dinette seating, so ... old weatherstripping and caulking must be removed, and resealing must be done. < sigh >

Mid -afternoon our Connecticut friends Bill and Lynne came over. Joanne had prepared and I had cooked a Mexican Chicken recipe in the Sun Oven. Bill and Lynne provided a bottle of Forbidden Fruit Winery's Pearsuasion that they bought when they visited us in B.C. last summer on their to Alaska. T'was a very well travelled bottle of wine ! B.C. to Alaska to Connecticut to Colorado to Texas to Arizona. And we all enjoyed it immensely !

After the "birthday dinner" and much visiting and chatting we all went to have "birthday dessert" at the regular weekly Sunday evening ice cream social. More chatting, then Joanne and I returned home to watch two episodes of Downton Abbey.

After five days of illness, Bo seems completely healthy again. Hope it was just a routine upper respiratory infection ... a "doggy cold".

< right eye twitching rapidly > We lost how much investment money in the stock markets so far this month / year ? ! ? ! ?

Monday ; Sunny and warm. AHHHHH ! ! !

We spent the day out with Laszlo and Gail, exploring the desert. We went in their truck, there was the four of us, and both dogs, Bo and DeeOJee. We headed northeast out of Yuma to an area near Mitry Lake where Laszlo frequently "mines" for gold nuggets and dust. We wandered around the desert, Bo and DeeOJee romped and played. When we got hungry we drove a short distance over to the boat launch and picnic area at Mitry Lake and had our picnic lunches.

After lunch we drove to an area known as Picacho Peak Recreation Area so that Joanne and I could show the area known as "Hill of Names" to Gail and Laszlo. It's an area way out in the desert where for a lot of years people have been using rocks to write their names. < sigh > I was a bit uncertain of the exact location and, following my directions, we made a wrong turn and did not find it. < sigh > Better luck next time !

We drove over to Imperial Date Gardens and all had date shakes. Including Bo and DeeOJee. HA HA HA ... we keep "corrupting" other people and their dogs with date shakes. Bill's and Lynne's Pomeranian Windsor loves date shakes thanks to us, and now so does DeeOJee. Ever seen a pit bull have a date shake ? HA HA HA HA HA !

We returned to Yuma, and home, arriving just in time for us to go with Bo on the daily pack walk at 5 PM. Afterwards I watered all my pants and gardens before going bicycling at sunset.

We had a great day, second in a row !

However ... at bedtime Joanne became very suddenly very ill. Probably food poisoning.

Tuesday ; Sunny and warm.

I spent the morning in an audit committee meeting. Very interesting ! Joanne slept late, recovering from her bout of food poisoning.

This afternoon we went to our regular Tuesday afternoon shift at the Humane Society.
I walked dogs, Joanne "cuddled" cats. There's no real cat cuddling involved. Unless if you consider litter box cleaning to be "cat cuddling". Our neighbour and friend Carol Mae was also at the Humane Society this afternoon walking dogs. We returned home just in time for the daily pack walk.

At Joanne's request we went out for supper to Famous Dave's Barbecue. MMMMM !

Wednesday ; Sunny and warm.

I did an obedience session with Bo this morning. Well done, Bo, good dog. First obedience session we've done in a few weeks. I did some gardening, planting some new acquisitions, including a small Fishhook Barrel Cactus. Very pretty !   I polished shoes.

After lunch I got Joanne set up at the truck camper working on removing old caulking and weatherstripping from a taillight assembly and I went to the clubhouse office to do some audit committee work. When I was finished doing the audit work I returned to the truck camper in the storage area to help Joanne finish up for today. But not before
I ripped a knuckle open on a sharp metal edge as I tried to scrape off some difficult to remove old caulking. OUCH !

Today's 5 PM "potluck social" was a "burn your own meat" barbecue event. There were many salads and other side dishes, and some desserts. I cooked some petite sirloin steaks for us and we chatted with friends until ... 6:05 PM when the "cleanup crew" began to mumble and grumble because I was the only person left sitting at a table with a plate in front of me that still had a bit of food on it. GEEEEZZZZZ ... this park's eat and run mentality annoys me ! ! !

This evening Joanne did laundry and we watched the "Bell Let's Talk" special event on TV featuring Canada's new Prime Minister discussing mental health issues. What an impressive man !

Thursday ; Happy 62nd Birthday to Joanne

Sunny and warm. This morning Joanne baked a cake ( but not a birthday cake ) in the Sun Oven. This afternoon she cooked a beef pot roast in the Sun Oven for dinner tonight. It was very good !

When we arrived here in mid-December I ordered a Christmas gift online for Joanne. It arrived today ! Merry Christmas / Happy Birthday !

This afternoon I went shopping by myself. First stop was Arizona MarketPlace to buy some Max1 glue. Then Lowe's for some weatherstripping and silicone sealant. Then Harbor Freight for a TV mounting bracket. And finally Fry's Fuel to refill with diesel.

While I was out shopping Joanne worked on removing old weatherstripping and caulking from the truck camper's generator compartment's door. Once I returned home she helped me apply new weatherstripping to the door, and helped me reinstall it on the camper.

We went on the daily pack walk, then I went bicycling at sunset. Just as we were preparing to sit down for dinner our friends Bill and Lynne came over to wish a Happy Birthday to Joanne.

After dinner I prepared a Famous Dave's Barbecue take home dessert for Joanne.

Happy Birthday, my love !

Friday ; Sunny and warm.

Joanne went out shopping by herself, leaving late in the morning, returning in
mid-afternoon. I busied myself with annual maintenance chores. I trimmed Bo's claws. That job is easier to do when I have Joanne's help. I mounted our TV in the trailer. It has always been in a TV "cubby hole" in the "entertainment centre". Now it is "wall mounted" over the cubby hole left empty by the removal of the stereo unit ... two years ago.

At 4 PM we left for a ( very ) early birthday dinner at Julieanna's, an "upscale" restaurant. We went for the "early bird" prime rib dinner so that we could attend a play tonight. The food was good, very overpriced, in pretentious surroundings. I was very displeased that the waiter refused my request to substitute another vegetable for the asparagus served with the prime rib. I can't digest asparagus. One would think that for a plate costing thirty five dollars it would be possible to substitute a vegetable. But NOOOOO ! ! !

Don't spend that big tip I left you all in one place, asshole !

After dinner we drove to Harbor Freight to return an item for refund, and purchase another item. Joanne truly hates shopping at Harbor Freight. The Harbor Freight shopping trip resulted in a teensy squabble on the way to the play. We attended the Yuma Community Theater performance of Agatha Christie's play "The Mousetrap".

HEY ... < shrug > ... what can I say ? It's Yuma Community Theater !   It was ... an enjoyable "date night" / birthday dinner and theater outing.

Saturday ; Sunny and warm. A little bit windy.

This morning we went to a potluck brunch in the clubhouse at 10 AM. Joanne contributed a baked French Toast dish. Good brunch !

Shortly after 11 AM we left with Bill and Lynne, in their ( towed ) car, to Historic Downtown Yuma, to attend the Date Festival. About four blocks of downtown was closed to traffic and was the locale for the Date Festival 2016. It was like a street fair, with many of the vendors being date farms and related retail businesses. We wandered around for a couple of hours, but didn't buy anything. The turnout was good, resulting in slightly crowded conditions. The fair organizers were likely pleased.

Afterwards we went to McDonald's for soft drinks ... and ice cream, of course. We chatted inside McDonald's for too long and returned home just in time to go on the daily pack walk at 5 PM.

DSK 

No comments:

Post a Comment