Saturday, July 16, 2016

July 10 to 16, 2016

Sunday ; Mix of sun and clouds, warm.

Today was supposed to be day two of our RV park's yard sale, but ... organization of the park wide yard sale was somewhat ... < ahem > ... weak, so ... there seemed to be no purchasers driving through the park today. Consequently, we sold nothing more than the three chairs Joanne sold yesterday morning.

We had a lazy day. I took Bo for a walk to the lodge (our park's name for the clubhouse) where I returned a book to the library. I did some online investment data retrieval / reconciliation / analysis. Not a bad week / month so far ! Late in the afternoon we returned Jeanine's unsold end tables to her, and we visited with her for quite awhile. I had a "ducky fight" with her little dog Charlie. It seems as if I am the only one now who gets down on the floor with Charlie and plays "tug of war" games with him. Fighting for possession of his little furry ducky is his favourite game. HA HA HA ! But ... he's getting so old that growling while playing makes him choke. HA HA HA ! Poor old Charlie !

We received an e-mail from "winter friends" of ours. Barry and Marty have a home in San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico. Barry's doctors are in Yuma, Arizona and that's where we first met them, eight or nine years ago. Marty wrote to us today to tell us that their beloved Sunny, a Cocker Spaniel that they rescued in Mexico about ten years ago has died. < sigh > Godspeed, Sunny. Your buddy Bo will miss you. Our sympathy goes out to Barry and Marty.

I barbecued baby potatoes and a thick juicy steak for supper on our new ( to us ) Weber Q barbecue. It seems as if ... and I didn't know this before ... Weber Q's are the like the Rolls Royce of barbecues. And all these years I've been contenting myself with the Chevy's of the barbecue world. Who knew ? ! ? HA HA HA ! That's kind of like when we first moved to our large house and property "out in the country" near Ottawa about twenty-one years ago, and I bought a Noma riding lawn tractor / mower, not realizing until it was too late that "nothing runs like a Deere", which all the uppity neighbours had. What a prairie boy ignoramus ! HA HA HA < SNORT > HA HA !

Early this evening we discovered that our u-Ship.com bid to transport Noodles the dog had been accepted. So ... next weekend not only will we be transporting a large fifth wheel trailer from Osoyoos to Vancouver Island, but we will also be transporting Noodles the dog from Penticton to the Lower Mainland / Vancouver area. Bo will be very exited, not only to be going on a long drivey, but to have a buddy in the truck to share the adventure with. Bo LOOOOOVES trailer delivery jobs. And he LOOOOOVES ferry rides. HA HA HA !
Monday ; Mostly sunny, warm.

Joanne left at noon with Gord and Marcie in their car for an afternoon of medical appointments for Gord at Penticton Hospital. They did some grocery shopping when they were done at the hospital and arrived back home about 5:30 PM. I did preventive maintenance on the truck and minivan. I watered our composters, plants, and gardens.

After lunch I napped with Bo, then spent part of the afternoon setting up a PayPal account to enable u-Ship.com to send me my payment after we transport Noodles the dog this weekend. And in the process, I've set up the ability for any Similkameen Trailer Towing client to pay me via PayPal. KA-CHING !

After supper, following a brief, light rain, we were treated to a wonderful rainbow over the mountains surrounding us.



Tuesday ; Mostly cloudy, warm, intermittent rain, occasionally heavy.

This morning I did some minor maintenance on the truck. While I was standing with my right foot on the truck's front bumper, and my left knee on the engine, and twisted around to work on the underside of the hood, repairing the under hood insulation liner ... I began to experience angina pain. I climbed down off the truck and sat at the picnic table while Joanne went indoors to fetch me a Gatorade to drink. I drank some Gatorade, didn't feel any better, so went indoors to lie down on the bed. Then, in addition to the angina pain, I began to experience heartburn. That didn't seem good, so ... I had my first ever dose of Nitroglycerin spray under the tongue, and chewed two Aspirin. The angina stopped, the heartburn stopped, but then I got a headache. < sigh > I decided to take a nap. When I awoke from the nap, I no longer had angina or other "cardiac problem" symptoms, but ... I felt slightly ill, and that slightly ill feeling lasted until supper time.

Consequently I took it easy for most of the day. I puttered around on the computer.
I filleted a salmon. And because of miscommunication between Joanne and me about "who's on first ?", my finger got cut ! Geeeeezzzzz ... my filleting knife is sharp !

So ... I'm typing this at 8:45 PM with a bandaged, throbbing index finger !
Wednesday ; Mostly sunny and warm.

This morning I received an e-mail from a Similkameen Trailer Towing client who had hired me to move a trailer at the end of August. She included some photos of the trailer, inside and out. I was ... stunned and dismayed. This trailer had been set up as a "permanent" camp by her deceased husband, and there is an inordinate amount of work that needs to be done to prepare it for travel. Joanne and I collaborated and composed a "bad news" letter back to her. You know, I hate to be the bearer of bad news , but ... !

This afternoon I made my secret "smoked and candied" marinade for salmon fillets.
I went fishing, but gave up after about forty-five minutes without a bite. The Similkameen River is still flowing much faster ( and colder ) than is usual for this time of year. We took Bo for a long walk around the RV park, and visited with our friend Jeanine as we passed by her home. I prepared invoices / receipts for this weekend's upcoming dual job ; transport a trailer from Osoyoos to Vancouver Island and transport a dog from Penticton to the Lower Mainland.
Thursday ; Started out sunny and very warm until late afternoon, then cloudy and cool with intermittent rain, occasionally heavy. I prepared maple syrup glazed, "smoked", candied salmon in the Sun Oven today. And it turned out great !

After setting up the Sun Oven and getting the marinated salmon into it we headed into town. We had lunch at Samosa Garden, the Indian buffet restaurant attached to Sanderson Farms produce stand. We have lunch there once per year. Today's lunch was not as good as in the past. After lunch while I went to the insurance agency in town to discuss the renewal of our home insurance policy Joanne went to the grocery store. We refilled our five gallon water jug then went back to Sanderson Farms to buy some produce.

This evening we went to The Old Grist Mill, a local tourist attraction to see a concert by Valdy. The Grist Mill is a historical attraction, a restored and functioning 1877 grist mill which was powered by a water wheel turned by adjacent Keremeos Creek. During the summer The Grist Mill hosts a series of intimate music concerts on the lovely manicured grounds. Tonight's performer was Valdy, a folk singer whose popularity peaked in the early 70's. One of "our era" ! His songs tell great stories, somewhat of a Canadian version of another singer / songwriter of the same era, and another one of our favourites, Harry Chapin.

We have attended Valdy concerts in Winnipeg at the Centennial Concert Hall in the 70's, and in Ottawa at the National Arts Centre in the 80's, both venues seating thousands of people. Valdy is now 70 years old, and tonight's concert was the best of his we've seen, in front of an audience of less than a couple of hundred people on folding lawn chairs, underneath a huge, old, horse chestnut tree. And despite his greatest hits being from the late 60's and early 70's, he's still writing great story telling songs. Tonight he performed one of his latest compositions, a tribute to the Fort MacMurray fire "refugees".
Friday ; Mostly cloudy, mild, occasional rain.

This afternoon I installed the fifth wheel hitch into the truck bed, and loaded the rest of the supplies and materials required for our upcoming trailer delivery job to Vancouver Island. And I got soaked in the process. The rain wouldn't let up. Joanne worked on packing clothes and preparing food for our trip. I trimmed my beard. And moustache. Perhaps a bit too much of both. Oh, well ... it's just facial hair. It'll grow back quickly enough.

Just as we were about to sit down to supper, Jeanine showed up with Barb, another neighbour. Barb's dog Cailie ( Jeanine's dog Charlie's "sister" ) has an ear infection, and Jeanine suggested to Barb that I might be able to help. I cleaned Cailie's inflamed ears and administered antibiotic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic ear drops. I gave the ear drops to Barb, and she will continue to administer drops daily over the weekend, and take Cailie to the veterinarian early next week. Cailie obviously has a fever, and likely a headache as well. I hope my ear drops help relieve her discomfort until she gets veterinary care next week.
Saturday ; Mix of sun and clouds, very warm, humid, occasional rain.

This morning I did some minor maintenance on the truck, and we prepared to head to Penticton to pick up Noodles the dog, then Osoyoos to pick up the client's trailer that we are towing to Vancouver Island. Just before we left Barb the neighbour came over with Cailie the dog. Cailie's ear infection had improved overnight. YIPPEE ! We cleaned Cailie's ears again. They were drier and much less inflamed, and Cailie did not look as if she had a headache, like she looked yesterday evening. I'm glad I was "on the right track" and able to help.

We left home at noon and arrived in Penticton at 1 PM. We picked up Noodles the dog at the client's friend's home, then stopped at IGA to buy a few grocery items and Real Canadian Fuel Bar to refill Lanoire with diesel. We headed out of Penticton southbound on Hwy. 97. We stopped in Okanagan Falls to have our picnic lunch and walk the dogs in the municipal park. We arrived in Osoyoos at 3 PM as planned. It was raining when we arrived at the ( other ) client's home, so we waited briefly for the rain to end before hitching up their large fifth wheel trailer to Lanoire.

We were hitched up and leaving Osoyoos by 4 PM. We headed west on Hwy. 3 following the Similkameen River to Keremeos and then home to Riverside RV Park Resort. We arrived home around 5 PM. It was raining again. After the rain ended about 6 PM we took both dogs to our RV park's fenced dog run for some play time. Noodles enjoyed playing fetch. A lot of fetch ! I guess that's the Border Collie in her. Despite being billed as a Labrador cross, she appears to me to be about 3/4 Pit Bull and 1/4 Border Collie.

Oh, boy ! Just what I've always wanted ! A Pit Bull bitch in heat ! HA HA HA ! Story of my life ! HA HA HA < SNORT > HA HA !  As I'm posting this to my blog about 9 PM Saturday night she is curled up in Bo's bed on the floor beside my desk ... snoring loudly !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment