Sunday, November 12, 2017

November 5 to 11, 2017

Sunday ;  Overcast and cold.

This morning I finished resetting clocks, then went outside for my morning walk. 
I started the truck, to "exercise" it, reset the clock in the truck, then walked to the clubhouse to return a book to the library.  When I returned home from the library,
I turned off the truck.  Enough "exercise" for now, for both me and the truck.  PEUW ! 
In cold weather diesel engines stink even worse than usual.

At 4:30 PM we departed for Oliver.  We stopped at Sanderson Farms in Keremeos to buy some produce, then continued east on Hwy. 3 to Osoyoos, then north on Hwy. 97 to Oliver.  We had an early Chinese buffet dinner at Oliver Garden Restaurant, then headed a few blocks to Frank Venables Theatre for a performance by "The Contenders"; Valdy and Gary Fjellgaard.  We have been fans of, and attending performances by Valdy for over forty years.  This is the first time we have seen him perform with Gary Fjellgaard as The Contenders.  Old folkie meets old cowboy.  Very interesting blend.  Great harmonies !  Long show, from 7:30 PM until 10:10 PM.  We did not arrive back home until 11:30 PM.

I felt ill.  The outing was too much / too long for me.

Monday ;  Sunny and cold.  I appreciate the sunshine.

Long walk.  Long nap.  Another long walk.  That's what my days currently are.

Tuesday ;  Cloudy and cold.

For the first time since my surgery ( 39 days ago ) I slept uninterrupted for the entire night, and awoke feeling refreshed.

This morning I made pancakes for brunch before we left for Penticton.  First stop was BG Fuel Bar to refill the minivan's empty fuel tank.  Then the Red Cross to return two pieces of borrowed health care equipment. Then downtown to Front Street Jewellers to pick up my ( father's ) repaired Canada Post gold watch.  And then ... what good would a trip to Penticton be without a stop at Value Village ? !  < sigh >

Primary reason for the trip to Penticton was my 3:30 PM appointment with my cardiologist.  It went well.  He reviewed all the heart related medications I was prescribed by the hospital doctors.  He examined my arm and chest incisions.  He listened to my lungs to ensure there was no recurrence of fluid build up.  And finally ... he decided I was ready to be referred to the cardiac rehabilitation program.

Our final stop was Wal-Mart.  When I walked in carrying my heart shaped pillow ( which is with me all the time, to "splint" my sternum when I cough or sneeze ) the Wal-Mart greeter approached me to tell me that he recognized the pillow ( which is given to all heart surgery patients upon discharge from the hospital ).  He had triple bypass surgery last February, and we chatted for awhile.  I hope I can avoid his largest impediment to recuperation ; the broken ribs he suffered when he slipped and fell.  OUCH !

We left Penticton about 4:30 PM and were back home about 5:30 PM.  Half of the drive home was in the dark !

Wednesday ;  Overcast and cold.  Winter gloomy !

This morning we examined a lump on Ozzie's neck that I discovered last night.  It was soft, and filled with fluid.  Looked like a cyst or small abscess.  So ... I punctured it with a dental tool.  It drained a lot of clear fluid, then a teensy bit of blood, then ... sort of disappeared.  I guess that problem is solved !

Long walk ... long nap ... another long walk.  I also downloaded and reconciled October's investment statements.  I set up 2018's trailer towing files and archived 2017's trailer towing files.  This was a very good year for Similkameen Trailer Towing !

Thursday ;  Overcast ... ceiling about fifty feet above ground ... heavy snow !  Big snowflakes, falling slowly, very pretty, looks like Christmas Eve in a Disney movie.

Long walk ... long nap ... long walk !  I mounted a Christmas wreath on our entry door.  Thank you, Value Village.  I installed two new bulbs in my therapy light.  Thank you, Amazon.  I trimmed my beard.  WOO-HOO !  Six weeks after shaving it off it has grown long enough to need trimming and sculpting.  I look "normal" again.  Well ... at least my face looks normal again.  HA HA HA !

Friday ;  post-operative 6 weeks

Sunny and warm enough to slowly melt the snow.

Joanne spent the day in Penticton running errands by herself.  I walked ... napped ... and walked some more.  I made an appointment for a cardiac rehabilitation program initial evaluation.  Earliest available appointment was in a couple of weeks.

Saturday ;  Remembrance Day ; LEST WE FORGET !


Cloudy, temperature a bit above freezing, gloomy.

This morning we were up a little earlier than usual so that we could head into town for the Remembrance Day ceremony / service.  It has been fourteen years since we have attended a Remembrance Day service in Canada.  How very different than Veteran's Day services we have attended in the United States.  Canadian Remembrance Day services are more sombre and ... focused on "remembering" our nation's military who gave their lives in the service of their country.

When the service ... at Keremeos Memorial Park ... was completed, I walked to the grocery store, as my long morning walk.  Joanne drove the minivan there to pick me up.  Back at home I did a bit of "home improvement" work before having lunch followed by a long nap.  Joanne and Ozzie joined me on my late afternoon walk.  We stopped at our neighbour / friend Jeanine's for a visit.  After a late supper we watched Saturday Night Live.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment