Sunday, March 24, 2019

March 17 to 23, 2019

Sunday ; St. Patrick’s Day

Sunny and hot. Finally ! Joanne roasted a corned beef brisket in the Sun Oven today.

This afternoon we worked on, and completed, the Arizona room exterior moulding replacement project. WOO-HOO ! Last big project of this winter season … finished !

After corned beef dinner we had a movie date, watching American Graffiti. First saw that movie at a drive-in … forty-six years ago ! WHEW … we’re old !

Monday ; Sunny and hot, temperature in the high 80’s. Joanne cooked “barbecued” pulled chicken in the Sun Oven today.

AHHHHH … < inhaling deeply > … the nearby lemon groves are in bloom. What a wonderful smell !

This morning we loaded up our large load of recycling and drove it to the local recycling center. As we returned I retrieved two plastic sawhorses from our space in the storage yard and brought them back to our lot. I removed some hardware from them, and will discard them tomorrow. I no longer need them, and after a few years of sitting in the sun, they’re … toast !

I watered our plants / gardens. I assisted Joanne with some exterior painting on the Arizona room. In the evening I filled out, printed, scanned, and sent some forms to our new investment advisor. We did some trip planning. As always, Joanne has some “new ideas” for our return trip home. Me, I just drive the truck ! HA HA HA !

Tuesday ; Sunny and hot. Joanne cooked Lazy Holubtsi in the Sun Oven today.

Around noon we headed out to run some errands. When we had the oil changed in the truck a few weeks ago we received a car wash voucher. First stop today was the car wash. When we arrived at Lowe’s, the next stop, one of the car’s tires was going flat. By the time I drove to Pep Boy’s next door to put air in it … it was flat ! < sigh > With much assistance from Joanne, we got the tire changed in the Pep Boy’s parking lot. It seems as if the worst of the car’s poor tires was destroyed by the car wash’s motorized track. HMPH … free car wash, indeed !

We went to Rally’s for lunch, then Goodwill to look for a hooded sweater for me. Bought three of them ! I use up hooded sweaters at a rapid pace ! HA HA HA ! That was the end of our planned errands, but Joanne suggested we go looking for a tire at the used tire shops in the area. We found a good condition, correct size used tire at Yuma Tire, a shop I have been to before, both to buy used tires, and to have tires repaired. We didn’t have enough cash to pay for the used tire, so … Joanne suggested we go to the nearby Wal-Mart, make a small purchase, and get “cash back” on our bank card. Great thinking, my dear !

Over to Wal-Mart, got cash, back to Yuma Tire, got a tire, home in time to let the neighbour’s dog Lucy the Dachshund out for a pee, then a brief nap for me before supper. HA HA HA !

Wednesday ; Mix of sun and clouds, warm, windy.

This morning I used a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts on the tire we changed yesterday. Then remounted the spare tire back underneath the car. After lunch we went to the Humane Society for our weekly volunteer shift of dog walking and cat cuddling. After returning home from the Humane Society I put away the car jack and all of its associated equipment in the storage compartment in the rear of the car. Then … in a flash of absolute brilliance … < rolling my eyes in sarcasm > … I checked the owner’s manual of the car to find out what is the correct torque for the lug nuts. And discovered … < sputter > … that I have over-tightened them … a lot ! < sigh > Will be loosening and re-torqueing them tomorrow, I guess !

Last night and today I have been doing research on a seniors’ housing condominium development that is under construction in the small town of Lorette, just east of Winnipeg. My sister lives near that village. The development is of interest to us.

Thursday ; Sunny, mild, windy and chilly in the evening.

This morning I re-torqued the lug nuts on the car … < sigh >. After lunch Joanne went grocery shopping. I did some research and made some phone calls regarding the seniors’ condominium development in Lorette. HMMMMM … 
< thinking > … !

Late in the afternoon we headed out to Yuma Palms Shopping Center, to attend the free Thursday evening jazz concert in the courtyard. Tonight’s performers were Yuma Big Band. About halfway through their second set we felt so cold we went inside a nearby restaurant to have supper. Joanne wanted to eat at a restaurant called Hawaiian BBQ. Supper was … different … and good.

Friday ; Sunny and warm. Joanne roasted a chicken in the Sun Oven today. Before putting it into the Sun Oven I injected Cajun Butter marinade into it. 
< shrug > It didn’t turn out quite as well as we had hoped.

EUUUWWW … Hawaiian BBQ upset stomachs overnight. HA HA HA !

We spent much of today doing research … online and by telephone call … on more seniors’ housing condominiums near Winnipeg. We found one in Dugald that we are extremely interested in, and I will likely be submitting a waiting list deposit to them tomorrow.

Saturday ; Sunny and warm.

When I went to the office to buy some stamps this morning I began to chat with a couple from Idaho who had just arrived and were checking in. After they were set up in their assigned site I went over and continued the chat that we had started. Welcome to Kofa Ko-op, Kenny and Gail.

Joanne went out by herself running errands this afternoon. I did some preventive maintenance on the truck, then spent much of the rest of the afternoon preparing and submitting waiting list applications and deposits to a couple of seniors’ housing co-op condos in Manitoba, very near to Winnipeg. And so begins the next phase of our housing evolution.

I spent much of the evening paying bills, mostly MasterCard statements for March. The process was complicated by my careless use of our Canadian $ MasterCards ( instead of our US $ MasterCard ) shortly after I bought a new wallet in Mexico and … my credit cards were not arranged as they had been in my previous wallet. DUH … what an idiot !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment