Sunday, May 5, 2019

April 28 to May 4, 2019

Sunday ; Mix of sun and clouds, mix of chilly to cool.

Joanne spent the day “moving” from the camper to the park model, mostly kitchen contents. I spent way too much of the day trying to gain access to the Internet. I finally was able to acquire the password for the Wi-Fi signal in our “lodge” ( a.k.a. “clubhouse” in all other RV parks ). I did some preventive maintenance on the truck. I restored the minivan to functionality. I spent about three hours in the clubhouse, working online. I submitted our income tax returns and payments. I reviewed and responded to a lot of e-mail. I cancelled our U.S. cell phone service. Good riddance ! I uploaded my weekly blog entry. I prepared for a meeting tomorrow with our new investment advisor.

We went for a long walk with Ozzie. And, of course … I napped with the animals after lunch. HA HA HA !

Monday ; Mix of sun and clouds, mix of chilly to cool … again !

Today was a long, expensive day of running errands in Penticton. We left home at 9:45 AM heading to Penticton for our 11 AM meeting with our new financial advisor. We had a good meeting with Kelley that lasted for a bit more than an hour. Next stop was the medical laboratory so that Joanne could have blood drawn, for blood tests ordered by our new family doctor last fall before we departed for Yuma. < fume > Joanne forgot this morning that she was supposed to be fasting ! So … it seems unlikely now that she can get her blood test done in time for the doctor to have the results before her appointment with him next Monday.

After the brief, unproductive stop at the medical laboratory we went to Cherry Lane Mall and had lunch. I went to the Telus store and discussed Internet service with them. Then we drove back downtown for my appointment with the family doctor. It went well, I like our new family doctor.

Th rest of the afternoon was taken up with shopping at Wal-Mart and Superstore. Before leaving Penticton I refilled the truck with diesel fuel and we left Penticton about 6:30 PM arriving back home about an hour later. Long time for Ozzie to be left home unattended. Good dog, Ozzie.

Tuesday ; Sunny and cool

Our ( indirect ) trip home this year from Yuma to Keremeos was slightly more than 3800 km. / slightly less than 2400 miles. The lowest diesel fuel price this winter season was $2.499 per gallon in Bullhead City, Arizona in February. The highest diesel fuel price was $3.909 per gallon in Barstow, California in November.

This morning we headed into town / Keremeos. First stop was the medical clinic, for Joanne to pick a scheduled time to have blood drawn at the lab. The lab was not too busy today, so they gave her a “walk-in” slot with a short wait. I went to the pharmacy to pick up some prescription refills I had phoned to them before we left Yuma, and to leave them some new prescription orders written by my doctor yesterday. I asked if they could have the new prescriptions filled in an hour. They said yes. I went to the insurance agency and renewed the registration and insurance for the minivan. I returned to the clinic, picked up Joanne, and drove to FasGas where I had a propane tank refilled and we washed the truck and camper. Next was Sanderson Farms to buy some fresh vegetables and fruits, then back to the pharmacy to pick up the new prescriptions. Last stop was the grocery store in town to buy a couple of grocery items.

We returned home, took Ozzie for a walk, and had a late lunch. After lunch I read and napped briefly. Joanne continued unloading the camper. After my nap she helped me install the new toilet water supply valve I purchased yesterday in Penticton. WOO-HOO … no more turning the water supply to the toilet on and off with each flush.

I took my computer to the clubhouse to get online to check if there were any phone messages, and to retrieve e-mail. We walked Ozzie, drained his anal glands, and gave him a bath. I cooked excellent omelets ( one of my specialties ) for supper, then watched a movie. Joanne left after watching some of it, finding it too violent for her tastes.

Wednesday ; Mix of sun and clouds, cool.

This morning I made buttermilk banana pancakes for brunch. Joanne mixed the batter from scratch, using my Aunt Lena’s recipe. I put the finishing touches by adding the buttermilk, and on impulse, banana slices, to the batter, then I cooked the pancakes. Another of my culinary specialties. HA HA HA ! Many of my ( few ) culinary specialties were learned in my beloved Aunt Lena’s kitchen.

After brunch I went over to see our neighbour / friend Jeanine, to retrieve my mailbox key … she collected our mail all winter … and to give her some items we had purchased in Mexico for her. I visited with her for way too long ! In the meantime, Joanne did a lot of laundry.

This afternoon we continued unloading and putting away stuff from the camper. After watching the supper time news on TV we walked and fed Ozzie then went to the swimming pool to resume cardiac aquatic exercises, not done since last November ! After exercising we returned home to have supper and watch Survivor, followed by Amazing Race. WOO-HOO … perogies for supper ! ! ! Another thing not done since last November. HA HA HA !

Thursday ; Mix of sun and clouds, cool.

Both of us still busy with lots of “return home” chores, and regular ongoing chores. Treated Ozzie’s ears and brushed his teeth. Sharpened kitchen knives. Unloaded more stuff from the camper. Joanne did yard and garden cleanup and weeding work. I trimmed my beard. I went to the clubhouse for quite awhile and got a lot of work done. Retrieved e-mail. Sent e-mail. Reactivated our Canadian cell phone. WOO-HOO ! Less cell phone drama than usual. Ordered Internet service installation. Retrieved month end bank statements. Retrieved investment updates.

After supper I reviewed and discarded old MasterCard statements and receipts, and twelve years worth of medical expense records ! I updated my prescription medication records. I did some annuity accounting. And … prepared the garbage and recycling for weekly pickup tomorrow morning. BRRRRR !

Friday ; Sunny and warm. A nice spring day. It’s about time ! Joanne roasted a stuffed flank steak in the Sun Oven today, our first use this summer season of the “northern” Sun Oven.

This morning we set up the gazebo for the summer. Joanne cleaned. I set up and arranged the furniture.

After lunch Joanne went to town to run errands. She bought a leg of lamb that cost … < blink blink > … HOW MUCH ? ? ? I worked on emptying and putting away everything in the second of two totes full of stuff we brought back from Yuma. I disassembled and cleaned the small electric space heater in the camper. It was performing poorly, clogged with dust and … cat hair !

In the evening I worked on prescription medication accounting and monthly budgeting. And … we watched episode one of season one of Downton Abbey. We have not seen season one before.

Saturday ; Sunny and warm, a bit humid early in the day, a bit windy later in the day.

This morning I discovered that a screw-in nosepiece on my relatively new ( and relatively expensive ) eyeglasses fell off and was lost. I had no matching spare nosepieces, so I cannabilized one from my new sunglasses, which are the identical frame. I hope an optical place in Penticton will be able to replace the missing nosepiece.

I put away a lot of laundered clothing in the camper. We trimmed Ozzie’s muzzle and groin hair. You’ve heard of “manscaping” ? This was “dogscaping” ! HA HA HA ! I attempted to repair some solar rope lights in the yard. I failed. They will have to be replaced. WOO-HOO … already things to buy at Harbor Freight next winter. HA HA HA !

Late this afternoon we went to the pool to do my regular cardiac rehab aquatics exercise session. After returning home we walked and fed Ozzie, then I went to the clubhouse to do some online work. I responded to a trailer towing quote request. I responded to an e-mail from my sister. I bought tickets to a figure skating exhibition in Penticton in October that Joanne wants to attend. SHEEESH … they’re not exactly giving away those tickets, are they ?

I returned home to have supper and watch Saturday Night Live. And read way too many pages of way too much drama from this community’s Board of 
Directors !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment