Sunday, May 19, 2019

May 12 to 18, 2019

Sunday ; Overcast, warm, windy.

Joanne went to Penticton today to run errands by herself. I did a 6000 km. inspection on the truck. HMPH ! Truck needs a new muffler pretty soon. I have been patching the truck’s original muffler with muffler cement for at least the last seven years, but … it’s now beyond being able to be helped with some muffler cement “goop” ! I spent quite awhile in the clubhouse using Wi-Fi, getting work done online. I certainly am getting eager ( read that as “impatient” ) for Wi-Fi service at our home !

And this is why I have not done business with the local Internet service provider for the last nine or ten years, after using their service for the first two or three years that we lived here. Their Wi-Fi “technical” service is great, but … their “service” service is atrociously bad ! ! ! < sigh > Too bad I can’t find a better alternative ! I suppose that’s part of the price one must pay for living out here in the “bush” in the middle of nowhere !

Monday ; Overcast and warm.

Joanne did a lot of laundry today. I watered and turned our composter. I did some preventive maintenance on the truck, in preparation for a trip to the Lower Mainland tomorrow. I placed a bid on a U-Ship job to transport a dog from Penticton to Surrey, but the shipper let my eight hour timed bid expire. < shrug > Good luck, pal ... finding another transporter willing to transport your dog on the date you require, for the amount of money you are offering ! I was willing to postpone tomorrow’s trip for one week to accommodate this dog transport job.

Tuesday ; home to Chilliwack to Abbotsford

Overcast and cool.

This morning we prepared for departure and left home a few minutes before noon, heading west on Hwy. 3, through Hedley, then Princeton, and into Manning Provincial Park. We stopped in the parking lot of Manning Park Lodge to have a late lunch in the camper. After lunch we continued west on Hwy. 3 until it ended and merged with Trans-Canada Hwy. 1 at Hope. We arrived in Chilliwack right on time at 4 PM.

I went to the parts department of O’Connor RV to buy a new water pump and hardware for the camper. Their parking area is WAY too small for customers in RV’s, but … their parts department employee Amanda gave EXCELLENT 
service ! I was finished shopping at O’Connor’s and we were back on the highway about 4:30 PM. We arrived at the Trans-Canada Hwy. 1 westbound km. marker 83 rest area at 5 PM. It was a bit early to be stopping for the night, but … < shrug > … Amanda advised that boondocking overnight at one of the three Wal-Marts in Surrey was … not advisable. Surrey is a tough neighbourhood !

The rest area provides free Wi-Fi so I amused myself online until it was time for supper. Joanne asked if I could find an interesting restaurant in the area. Maybe we could have lunch there tomorrow ? So … I did find an interesting restaurant ! And we are planning to have lunch there tomorrow after we pick up our new mattress in Surrey.

Wednesday ; Abbotsford to Surrey to home

This morning we left the rest area about 10 AM and drove west on Trans-Canada Hwy. 1 to Surrey, then south on Hwy. 15 and west on 64th Ave. in the city of Surrey to Royal City Bedding, arriving about 11 AM. Our custom made mattress was ready and waiting for us, as was the purchase paperwork. We paid the bill, the staff loaded the new mattress into the camper, and we were out of there in just a few minutes. Very efficiently handled transaction. Thank you ! And … as we were about to climb into the truck and leave, our salesperson came out of the store and presented us with a lovely gift. Thank you ! ! !

We returned to TCH 1 and drove east, returning to Abbotsford. We found our way … thank you very much Thomasina ( our GPS ) … to the restaurant where we wanted to have lunch. And right beside the restaurant was a Co-op Fuel Bar, so 
I refilled the truck with diesel before going into the restaurant. It was difficult to squeeze the truck and camper into an urban small “hipster” mall parking lot.

Brodeur’s Bistro is a French Canadian / Cajun fusion. Rather expensive, very hipster, long wait for food, but … rated on a scale of zero to ten, here are our ratings on the food ;
  • Joanne’s French Canadian pea soup ; 12 out of 10
  • Joanne’s tourtière ( French Canadian meat pie ) ; 7 out of 10
  • Daniel’s Montreal smoked meat, smoked Gouda, and cheddar grilled sandwich ; 11 out of 10
  • Daniel’s Cajun poutine ; 11 out of 10 ( my three cardiac bypasses are LAUGHING with joy ! HA HA HA )
  • Abbotsford’s tap water ; zero out of 10 ! EUUUWWW … what a lot of chlorine !

Yeah … the food was THAT good ! ! ! And we are very tough to please ! ! ! Except for the long wait for the food … a kitchen problem, not a server problem … the service was extremely good as well.

After lunch we continued east on TCH 1 a short distance to the MM 99 eastbound rest area … not the one where we boondocked overnight last night ( MM 83 westbound ) … and we dumped our waste holding tanks at the sani-dump station. We continued east on TCH 1 to Chilliwack where I once again stopped at O’Connor RV to buy some more installation hardware for the water pump 
I bought yesterday. Finally, our chores in the Lower Mainland were finished. We continued east on TCH 1 to Hope, then east on Crowsnest Hwy. 3 to home. We stopped at Manning Park Lodge for a bathroom break for all three of us. We arrived home at 5 PM.

We had a late supper at 8 PM, as the three hour season finale of Survivor was starting.

Thursday ; Overcast, cool, intermittent light rain during the day, steady rain late in the evening.

WHEW … busy day ! At 10 AM the China Creek Internet installation technician showed up to install the antenna and cabling to provide me with Internet service. He was finished around noon. AHHHHH … Internet service at last ! I opted for an Ethernet cable directly into my laptop instead of a router and wireless Wi-Fi in our house. The Ethernet cable provides faster service than a router / Wi-Fi.

Between noon and 1 PM we took Ozzie for a walk, then removed our old mattress from the house and put it into our shed, and moved our new mattress into the house. At 1 PM the gas fitter I hired showed up to reposition our home’s propane regulator, in accordance with regulation changes. I assisted him with the work. I appreciate tradespeople who are willing to allow the client to help and learn by doing. The propane regulator repositioning was finished at 2 PM. We had lunch, I took a nap, then we took the truck and camper to our park’s 
sani-dump station, only about fifty feet or so from our home, to back flush the camper’s grey and black waste tanks.

Next chore was to trim Ozzie’s and Emma’s nails. < sigh > I was rushing, because it was raining lightly, and I carelessly cut two of Ozzie’s nails too short. Sorry, Ozzie ! < sigh >

After supper we watched the series finale of Big Bang Theory. < shrug >

Friday ; Overcast, chilly. BRRRRR !

We slept late this morning. By the time we were ready to head into town it was afternoon. First stop in Keremeos was Sanderson Farms for some produce. Then while I discussed muffler replacement with my mechanic Joanne walked to the grocery store for a couple of items. I picked her up at the grocery store and we continued to Cawston where we bought some strawberry plants at Little Bush’s Nursery.

Back at home we had a light, late lunch then I napped for awhile with the animals. This gloomy, chilly weather leaves me uninspired. I did some replenishment of toiletries in the camper, and refilled its freshwater tank. I did some online work, getting caught up on some e-mails I needed to send, and doing some bill paying.

Joanne bought fresh Steelhead Trout at the grocery store today. I cooked it tonight for supper, using a recipe I found online. Turned out pretty good … maybe a tad too much garlic ! < BURP >

Saturday ; Sunny, mild, windy.

This morning we removed the camper off the truck, in preparation for taking the truck for service next week. And the process of removing the camper was plagued by electrical problems. < sigh > When we were finished removing the camper I went looking for causes of the camper’s recent electrical issues. 
< sigh > And discovered two problems. First, a wire leading from the roof top solar panel into the camper had become disconnected. Then … I discovered a switch in the battery compartment was … in the disconnect position. < sigh > Where it probably has been since I replaced the battery in Oregon a few weeks ago.

After I rectified both those problems, the electrical problems were resolved. Including … the malfunctioning water pump was no longer malfunctioning. That’s good news, except … now I have a brand new water pump, purchased in Chilliwack earlier this week, at a cost of about $125, that I have absolutely no use for … now ! And … it makes no sense to return it for a refund. The fuel to Chilliwack and back would exceed the cost of the pump ! So … unless if I get hired to transport a trailer to the Lower Mainland in the next two weeks … extremely unlikely … it looks like I now have a spare water pump for the camper !

Joanne planted the strawberry bedding plants we bought yesterday. I drained the camper’s water heater then reinstalled the camper’s water heater winterization bypass plumbing … correctly this time … using hardware I purchased in Chilliwack. My last outdoor chore of the day was to remove the truck’s hub caps, wheel liners, and valve extenders, in preparation for a tire rotation service next week.

After a late supper we watched the season finale of Saturday Night Live.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment