Sunday, September 8, 2019

September 1 to 7, 2019

Sunday ; Sunny, warm, a bit humid, a bit windy, a few drops of rain around 
6 PM.

I did some monthly budget work and weekly investment analysis. I posted my weekly journal to my blog. In the evening I reconciled our August MasterCard statements.

At 5:30 PM we drove to Keremeos, to the Historic Grist Mill to attend their summer bi-weekly Sunday dinner for the first time this year, the second time ever. We went once last year. Tonight’s dinner was, for a variety of reasons, slightly unsatisfactory, as was the first one we attended last year. Tonight’s dinner was supposed to be twelve hour slow roasted beef brisket, but due to a cooking catastrophe, became a ( quickly ) roasted prime rib dinner. The prime rib was … raw !

Our table companions were interesting though. We enjoyed chatting with them, an eighty-five year old local couple, she has Crohn’s disease, and he is near the end of his third successful battle with cancer. Ironically, she is the one with Crohn’s disease, yet he is the one currently battling colon cancer. The three of us discussed / evaluated our current and past gastroenterologists. Joanne sort of sat there dumbfounded at our dinner conversation. HA HA HA !

Monday ; Sunny and hot. Joanne baked an apple cake in the Sun Oven today.

This afternoon we gave Ozzie a much needed haircut. When we cut his hair short, he looks like a Shih Tzu & Poodle. When his hair is long, he looks like a Shih Tzu & Spaniel.

In the evening I worked on monthly computer file backup procedures.

Tuesday ; Sunny and hot until late afternoon, thunderstorms and rain around suppertime. Joanne cooked moussaka in the Sun Oven today.

We gave Ozzie a bath. I went fly fishing for an hour, catching nothing. HMPH ! 
I gave up and returned home after fishing for an hour because the sky was turning dark and thunder was beginning. As I approached my “secret” fishing spot I startled a small rattlesnake that was drinking from the river. It slithered away quickly.

I paid some bills online. I did some investment records updating.

Wednesday ; Penticton

Sunny and hot.

We spent the day in Penticton running errands. And Joanne went for a physiotherapy / acupuncture / electro-therapy session. And I went to see our family doctor. I have a sebaceous cyst on my chest, right beside my bypass surgery scar. I attempted to drain it on Saturday, with marginal success, and by Sunday it was infected. It’s been a painful and ugly open wound for the last few days. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic … obviously. Since Sunday I have been taking Amoxicillin, one of the two antibiotics that I have on hand. But Amoxicillin is the wrong antibiotic for this type of infected skin problem. HMPH … who 
knew ?

Thursday ; Sunny, hot, humid.

This morning I drove into town ( Keremeos ) to fill my new antibiotic prescription and buy some vegetables at Sanderson Farms.

In the afternoon I did some camper cleaning and maintenance. I moved Ozzie’s tags from his old, broken collar to the new one we bought yesterday. I replaced the battery in Joanne’s watch. She did a lot of planning and packing for her departure to Winnipeg tomorrow. She did laundry. We did meal planning. For me, during her absence. HMPH ! As if I can’t feed myself ! HA HA HA !  I have two litres of Kelly’s Doukhobor borscht in the fridge and four packages of Dancing Baba’s perogies and varenykiys in the freezer ! And when I run out of those … 
I have plenty of Rainbow Trout. HA HA HA !

Friday ; home to Kelowna and return

Sunny and hot.

Awoke at 7 AM ( much too early for us ! ) to be ready for departure at 9 AM, heading for Kelowna airport. Arrived at Kelowna airport around 11:20 AM, a bit earlier than planned due to lighter than usual traffic. Hugged and kissed little wifey, sent her off for ten day visit to Winnipeg. Better her than me ! HA HA HA !

Stopped at Summit Tools in Kelowna to buy advertised special. Refilled minivan with fuel in Penticton, then Ozzie and I had picnic lunch in Skaha Lake Beach Park, right at Joanne’s flight departure time of 1:10 PM.

Arrived back at home around 2:30 PM. Had a well deserved nap. Did some preliminary work on entry landing baluster replacement project. Made surprisingly good supper for myself ; pan fried, butter basted Rainbow Trout fillets, herb and chive creamy pasta side dish, mixed vegetables. Watched movie “Captain Phillips”.

Saturday ; Sunny and very warm during the day, lightening, thunder, and rain in the evening.

This morning I made a phone call to Sky Valley RV Resort near Desert Hot Springs / Palm Springs, California, had a discussion and … WOO-HOO … made a reservation for mid-December to the end of January. WOO-HOO … Christmas, New Year’s, and Joanne’s birthday in Palm Springs !

In the afternoon I worked on the truck and camper, doing routine and preventive maintenance on both. Truck and camper should now be ready to head south on November 1. I returned some books to our book exchange library. I took Ozzie for a long riverfront walk. I did some monthly accounting.

I spent the evening preparing supper, eating supper, and cleaning up after supper, all while watching the movie “United 93”. Eighteen years after living through it, I’m still deeply disturbed by “9/11” images !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment