Sunday, October 18, 2020

October 11 to 17, 2020

Sunday ; McLean Rest Area to home

Mostly cloudy, intermittent light rain, chilly.

We left our overnight boondock area this morning around noon and continued west on Hwy. 3 until reaching Grand Forks. We parked and went for a twenty minute exercise walk around downtown. We dumped our waste holding tanks at the municipal sani-dump station, refilled the truck with diesel at the Mobil Fuel Bar at Extra Foods, then continued west. We stopped at a rest area to have lunch, then continued west to and through Osoyoos and Keremeos, arriving home at Riverside RV Park Resort at 4:30 PM.

Emma was very pleased to be home ! It was so cold in our home that I had to turn on the furnace. BRRRRR !

Monday ; Thanksgiving and our 46th wedding anniversary

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, MY LOVE !

Cloudy, cool, occasional light rain.

I did some truck unpacking and maintenance. I did some fall housecleaning. I harvested a lot of cherry tomatoes from our garden. We went on two exercise walks. Joanne roasted a lamb shoulder for our Thanksgiving and anniversary dinner. I spent the evening doing the “calorie counting” for the five day food diary I kept while we were on our camping trip, a “homework” assignment from my obesity clinic.

Today I received a telephone call from Elections BC. Which I thought was a bit unusual, given that today was a holiday. They were phoning to offer me a job on election day. Which I thought was a bit unusual, given that … I had not applied for an election day job ! They were so short of applicants for the upcoming provincial election jobs that they were phoning previous election employees to offer them jobs. I declined the offer. Joanne and I had decided as soon as the election was announced that we did not want to obtain election work because of the risk of Covid-19.

Tuesday ; Mix of sun and clouds, cool.

I harvested three tiny Shaggy Mane Mushrooms from an absent neighbour’s yard today, the first appearance of Shaggy Manes in our park this year. Joanne added them to my side of the pizza we had for supper tonight.

We did a pool exercise session tonight, first pool exercise session in a couple of weeks. It felt good to get back into the pool/aquatics exercise routine.

I spent the morning making a variety of phone calls. In the afternoon I worked on unloading the truck and camper, and some camper maintenance. Joanne did laundry.

We watched a very interesting documentary tonight on “driving while black” … in America ! Enlightening, disgusting, and depressing !

I am battling a sinus infection !

Wednesday ; Mix of sun and clouds, intermittent rain, cool.

This morning we went hiking for exercise and mushroom hunting in the Cottonwood forest riparian area along the Similkameen River for about forty minutes. On our mushroom hunting course last week we learned that Oyster Mushrooms grow on downed Cottonwood trees in riparian areas. We did not find any today. But … I did discover a new fishing access spot on the river that I would like to try, maybe within the next few days.

This afternoon, with a bit of help from Joanne, I dumped and back flushed the camper’s waste holding tanks, both black and grey, at our park’s sani-dump station. Then, back in our yard, I drained the camper’s freshwater tank and water heater. Next step is winterization with plumbing anti-freeze, hopefully tomorrow.

Late this afternoon was my weekly obesity clinic group counseling session … via Zoom meeting. Afterwards I cooked an Udon noodle stir fry dish for supper, with leftover lamb shoulder roast from Thanksgiving. Then we watched the season premiere of Amazing Race. We love that show !

Thursday ; Sunny and mild.

I worked on winterizing the camper today. Joanne worked on unloading it, removing everything that shouldn’t remain in it during the winter temperatures. I flushed the water heater, then put a couple of gallons of plumbing anti-freeze into the freshwater tank and pumped it through all the plumbing lines, and into the drains and traps and waste holding tanks.

We did an exercise walk before lunch, and an aquatics exercise session in the swimming pool before supper. I cooked Cutthroat Trout fillets for supper. And did a very fine job ! We watched the two Presidential “Town Hall” events, watching about 80% of Biden’s event and about 20% of Trump’s. < sigh > I am SO ready for Trump to be defeated ! I have difficulty enduring his “performances”. Watching him makes me feel slightly nauseated already !

Friday ; Cloudy, mild.

Joanne worked on camper cleaning today. I worked on removing, draining, and storing garden hoses. Surprisingly … we have and use four of them ! I also tried to disconnect and drain a spigot supply pipe underneath the house, but … I was stymied by a stuck Sharkbite plumbing fitting. I’ll work on it again tomorrow, and if I still can’t get it to release, I’ll have to cut the pipe, and buy a new Sharkbite fitting at a later date. < sigh >

I went fishing late this afternoon, at the new fishing spot I discovered a few days ago while mushroom hunting. I fished for half an hour, catching nothing. And the new fishing spot wasn’t as good a spot to fish from as it first appeared it would be.

I had a consultation with a respiratory therapist this afternoon, by Zoom meeting. We reviewed and discussed the results of my recent sleep apnea test. It seems as if I do, indeed, have sleep apnea. She recommends a CPAP machine for me. I’m resistant ! I asked for the test results to be sent to my family doctor. I would like a second opinion from him.

Saturday ; Overcast and cool.

Yesterday I was stymied by a seized Sharkbite plumbing fitting underneath the house. Last night, thanks to Google and YouTube I learned how to deal with that. Today that was my priority. I did manage to get the Sharkbite fitting to release, but … working underneath the house, in a confined space, using a large mallet to “persuade” the stuck fitting, I sustained a relatively severe and extremely painful finger injury. I’m getting too old for this ! We need to move to a maintenance free home within a year ! ! !

Joanne worked on garden cleanup today. In addition to finishing the plumbing winterization I removed the camper off the truck. And did some camper maintenance. I did some annual maintenance inside the house as well.

In the evening I paid some bills online. And we Watched Saturday Night Live, both tonight’s show and a repeat from 1988, hosted by a young Tom hanks, with musical guest Keith Richards. Who, even stoned to the point of being barely functional, was a superior musical guest to tonight’s guest Justin Bieber.

I guess I’ve just become a crabby old man who doesn’t “get” today’s “music”.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment