Sunday, October 11, 2020

September 27 to October 3

 Sunday ; Sunny and mild, a pretty nice fall day. Joanne cooked “Honey Mustard Chicken With Roasted New Potatoes” in the Sun Oven today.

Joanne did laundry. We had a couple of nice long exercise walks today. We both enjoy outdoor walking in nice fall weather. The swimming pool is still “out of order”. I paid some bills online. I posted my weekly blog entry and updated my investments summary. In the late afternoon and early evening I worked on monthly computer backup procedures. And … < scowl > … I repaired my broken watch band, injuring my left hand index finger in the process.

Monday ; Sunny and mild again. Lovely fall weather. Hope it holds for another week or two, for our planned fishing, mushroom hunting, foodie buying trip.

Joanne went into town today to run some errands. I puttered around, accomplishing … <shrug> … nothing !

Tuesday ; 3rd anniversary of cardiac bypass surgery

Sunny and warm. A great day to be alive ! And healthy ! I’m grateful !

Joanne went to Penticton today, for a “face to face” doctor’s appointment and a day of shopping errands. And she brought home a “celebratory” dinner from our favourite Asian fusion restaurant. We shared a Thai dish and a Korean dish. I had a very teensy breakfast and teensy lunch to allow for a calorie laden dinner. My obesity clinic work includes using a calorie counting “app”.

I “celebrated” my survival by going fishing this afternoon. Fished for an hour and a half … didn’t catch a *** **** thing ! Oh, well … the weather was great, and I used a lot of calories hiking to my fishing spot and back.

Ate dinner while watching the Presidential debate. What a gong show !

Wednesday ; Still sunny and warm.

Did our two exercise walks and routine household chores and routine maintenance chores. Had my second weekly hour and a half obesity clinic group session. Retrieved month end banking and financial statements in the evening.

Thursday ; Sunny and mild, a bit hazy with wildfire smoke from California.

This afternoon we rotated and flipped the mattress in the camper, an extremely difficult bi-annual chore. Tomorrow is our annual large item garbage pickup day. We discarded the surplus seat from the minivan and the malfunctioning and irreparable evaporative (swamp) cooler from our bedroom. I tried selling the minivan seat all summer. For $100, then $80, then $60, then $40, then $20, then FREE. After that failed I tried to give it away to an automotive junk yard, hoping that they may be able to sell it. They didn’t want it. So … into the landfill it goes ! How unfortunate. And at odds with our philosophies. <sigh>

Friday ; Sunny and mild, still a bit hazy.

We spent much of today preparing for departure tomorrow on a nine day camping trip. We visited with our neighbour/friend Jeanine. Joanne did a bit of laundry. I trimmed my beard. I sharpened knives. I finally decided to discard a Rapala filleting knife that I acquired approximately fifty years ago. It has been sharpened so many times that the blade has become dangerously narrow. It was becoming more of a very large needle than a knife ! It always was a dangerous knife because the handle did not have a finger guard. For fifty years I have been leery every time I fillet a fish with it. Bonsoir, Rapala.

Saturday ; home to N’Kwala BC Forest Service Recreation Site

Today we sadly recall the death of Bo three years ago … while I was in the hospital following cardiac bypass surgery. I never got to say goodbye to him !

Sunny and warm. Still some California wildfire smoke haze.

We finished our preparations for departure and left home at 1 PM heading west on Crowsnest Hwy. 3. Half an hour later we stopped for lunch at Princeton. After lunch we refilled our five gallon water jug at Save-On-Foods, then refilled the truck with diesel at Petro-Canada before leaving Princeton heading north on Hwy. 5A. When we reached the Okanagan-Coquihalla Connector we turned west to Merritt. We drove through Merritt to get onto Hwy. 8 heading northwest and at 4:30 PM we arrived at our destination, N’Kwala BC Forest Service Recreation Site on the Nicola River.

We selected a site, got set up, and by 5 PM I had my chest waders on and was heading into the Nicola River to fly fish. I have had very good fishing results here in the past, but not today. I fished for an hour and caught nothing. I returned to our campsite, started a campfire, and cooked supper on it. Joanne had prepared foil packets of sirloin steak, potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, and barbecue sauce. Good teamwork, the results turned out very well.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment