Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 21, 2009

August 21, 2009
 
Well ... I certainly hope that I'm not going to regret that ! I have just turned down an excellent, at least by local standards, job offer.
 
Three weeks ago I applied for an advertised position at an organic fruit packing factory in Cawston, the next village to the east of Keremeos. When I hadn't heard from them within a few days, I assumed they were not interested in my application. But two days ago I received a phone call asking me to come in for an interview yesterday.
 
I was interviewed by the Operations Manager and the Production Manager. The first thing they did was advise me that they weren't interviewing me for the position I had applied for, which they didn't think was a suitable position for "a man of my age and experience". Instead, they interviewed me for a position as their Quality Control Inspector. Excellent job ... decent wage ... but ! I was a bit dismayed to find that their operating season is from August or September to April of each year. What I was really looking for was employment from May to November ... a "summer job".
 
When I returned home, knowing that there was a good chance I was going to be offered the position, Joanne and I had a discussion about the possibility of not travelling south this winter if I got this job. We made a decision.
 
And when I got the phone call a few minutes ago offering me the job ... ( sigh ) ... I turned it down.
 
DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment