Sunday, August 19, 2012

August 12 to 18, 2012

Sunday ; Another sunny, very hot day. Lots of complaining going on about the weather ... but not from me !

Built side yard fencing this afternoon. I must confess ... there were a few moments when working hard in the hot weather caused me a bit of nausea. I drink water or iced tea often, but ... I still get dehydrated. Continued work in the trailer removing and cleaning valances and day / night shades. Mounted towel bars in the new home's bathroom. Got tired of being nagged to mount the towel bars ! HA HA HA ! Late in the afternoon, after most of the wedding crowd had departed, we went to the pool to cool down. Barbecued supper included barbecued peach mint juleps. MMMMM ! Watched some of the Olympics closing ceremony.

Monday ; Still sunny and very hot.

Continued home improvement projects and trailer valance and day / night shade removal and cleaning.

Tuesday ; Still sunny and hot. Slept in a bit this morning. After lunch went to Penticton for an afternoon and evening of running errands and shopping. In the evening attended a meeting of the Penticton Flying Club. Might join as they now have a plane available for rental.

Wednesday ; Still sunny and hot. WOO-HOO !

Yesterday in Penticton I bought two whole salmon. Today while filleting them I cut off thin slices of the less desirable belly meat, and turned that into a lot of little pieces of "salmon sushi" for Bo and Sully. HA HA HA ... just like Eskimos feed their Husky dogs. Mush, Sully, mush ! HA HA HA HA HA !

I continued to sun dry fresh Roma tomatoes in the Sun Oven. I did an obedience training session with Bo. Good dog, Bo, well done. We continued working on removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the trailer's window valances and day / night shades. WHEW ... one more left to do ! I completed the side yard fencing. I worked on "ducting" our new portable air conditioner in the park model. I phoned the manufacturer of our exterior storm door to try to get a replacement part. I took and processed photos of the damaged door part to send to them by e-mail. I made an appointment for an aviation medical exam. I replaced a burnt out tail light bulb on the truck. Joanne did laundry. We cooled off in the pool before barbecuing supper. Joanne began to prepare for her upcoming trip to Winnipeg.
I completed our passport renewal applications.

Why are we so busy now that we have a "home" ? I think I'd rather be homeless.

Thursday ; Another sunny, very hot day. Perhaps the last of this summer season.

This morning we headed to Penticton. Similkameen Trailer Towing / I had been hired to deliver a large fifth wheel trailer from a storage facility to South Beach Gardens. It went smoothly. Might have gone even smoother if the client hadn't forgotten her trailer keys at her home in the Lower Mainland ( Vancouver area ). Fortunately we have "universal" trailer storage compartment keys. We were able to open all her exterior storage compartments, including the storage compartment where the switch for the front jacks is located. Without getting into that compartment, we would not have been able to raise and lower the front of the trailer for hitching to the truck. She had to call a locksmith to come to the campground to open her trailer door.

After delivering the trailer we went to Skaha Lake Beach Park for a late picnic lunch. After lunch we went to the Government of Canada Services Office to submit our passport renewal applications. Then the Government of British Columbia Services Office to get the address changed on both our driver's licenses and our BC Medical Services Plan cards. Then to our insurance agent to have the address changed on our truck and trailer insurance policies. Then thrift store shopping for home furnishings, and finally, some grocery shopping. At the grocery store I could not resist the temptation to buy another fresh, whole salmon. I am planning to try making sun dried salmon and sun dried candied salmon in the Sun Oven. Wish me luck.

Friday ; Well ... still sunny and very hot !

Late last night after a bit of Internet research I "invented" a candied salmon marinade.
I cooked up a batch and left half a salmon soaking in the marinade in the fridge overnight. This morning I set up the Sun Oven and put my marinated salmon in it to sun dry all day. As the sun dipped behind the mountain across the river late this afternoon, I removed it from the Sun Oven and ... Daniel's Candied Salmon ! WOW ... it's excellent ! It's so good Joanne is taking some to eat on the long bus ride from Keremeos to Winnipeg that starts tomorrow morning at 5 AM.

This afternoon a neighbour brought over a bottle of white wine to "welcome us to the neighbourhood". The three of us sat down and promptly drank it. Very nice unoaked pinot grigio from a winery in Oliver. Thank you, Darlene.

This morning I reassembled and reinstalled the storm ( screen ) door on the park model after repairing the damaged section of bottom frame. I had removed and disassembled the door in an attempt to obtain a replacement part, and then I attempted to repair the damaged part. My repair was more successful than I had anticipated, so ...
I reassembled and reinstalled the door while I continue to try to obtain a replacement part. If I fail to obtain the replacement part ... that's okay, my repair will be good enough.

I did the 198,000 km. inspection on Lanoire today. What a great truck ! I also reinstalled the last of the trailer's now cleaned day / night shades and valances. WHEW ... that was a tough job, removing, cleaning, and reinstalling all the valances and day / night shades. But ... Harvey the fifth wheel continues to be in excellent condition for a 14 year old trailer ! Time for him to permanently retire to our Yuma RV lot soon, methinks, now that we have a "real" home here. Perhaps one more winter in Mexico, then we'll leave him in Yuma ? He needs a new sofa and dinette suite, though.

Saturday ; Another sunny and extremely hot day, temperature about 100 degrees.

BUT ... only 68 degrees when we left home at 4:30 AM heading into Keremeos for 4:45 AM to put Joanne on the 5:05 AM Greyhound bus to Winnipeg. The bus was 35 minutes late so we sat waiting and worrying for almost an hour. It will take Joanne about 40 hours of bus travel to get to Winnipeg. Goodbye, dear, I will miss you. Have a good visit with your sister.

This afternoon I headed to Princeton for the 5th annual Princeton Traditional Music Festival. And am I ever glad that I did. It was great ! I'm going again tomorrow. This afternoon I attended performances by a Slovenian accordion player, a blues workshop, a Slovenian folk dance group, a Turkish Gypsy cabaret band, and a Serbian / Macedonian wedding orchestra. WOW ! As can be readily seen, this year's theme is Eastern European music. The highlight for me was the irreverent Turkish Gypsy band performing their song "I really don't give a ***k". HA HA HA ... it was great dance music !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment