Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 5 to 11, 2012

Sunday ; WHEW ... a very hot day, temperature around 100 degrees ! Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, depending on whose weather report you believe.

Late this morning we drove into Keremeos to attend "Kars Under The K" in Memorial Park, the annual antique and classic car show in town. Joanne would not let me buy the 1959 Edsel with the metal flake paint job. I really like Edsels. I really like metal flake paint jobs. I can afford the Edsel. Other old rich guys get to have classic cars ( pouting ).

Today we used our new house portable air conditioner for the first time. It worked reasonably well. It was a bit of a struggle given the high outside temperature.

I bought a beef roast today and broiled it in the Sun Oven. First time I tried "broiling" in the Sun Oven. I thought that perhaps I had dried the meat out leaving it in the Sun Oven a bit too long, but tonight Joanne carved it into thin slices and it was very nice !

Monday ; Another sunny, very hot day, but with a brief violent thunderstorm in
mid-afternoon.

Today we moved the composter ( and its contents ) from lot 89 to lot 4. I dismantled our composter on lot 89 then reassembled it on lot 4 behind the house. We shovelled the compost into a wheelbarrow and moved it to lot 4 where Joanne put it into the new herb garden she built this afternoon beside the house using the copper rocks we picked near Princeton a couple of weeks ago. Very nice rock garden border, dear. Very nice compost ! Late this afternoon I spray painted the trailer's stove cover, changing the colour from white to black. HMPH ... black spay paint seems to be a bit more "forgiving" than white spray paint. Who knew ? !

Tuesday ; Another long, hard, hot day of running errands in Penticton. Mostly shopping for "home improvement" project materials. I'm buying the materials faster than I can do the projects ! I now have enough materials to last me many weeks of work projects !

As we drove through Keremeos I stopped at the Village Office to pick up a free "energy savings kit" provided by Fortis BC, our electrical service provider. The free kit includes a low flow shower head, a low flow faucet aerator, and a low flow swivel faucet aerator. What I really wanted was the swivel faucet aerator for our bathroom faucet. I also installed the ( non-swivel ) low flow aerator on our kitchen faucet. The low flow shower head goes to a bargain table, I guess.

While we were out shopping in Penticton I left peach slices and cherry halves to sun dry in the Sun Oven. The cherries are good, I'm not thrilled with the dried peaches. Joanne thinks they're too dry, left in the Sun Oven too long. Guess we'll try again.

Wednesday ; "Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know ... than lyin' in the sun with your ray-ay-dee-o"

Today was sunny and hot. This morning I did a minor repair on a neighbour's fifth wheel trailer. This afternoon we went to Penticton again to continue shopping for furnishings, and to attend a rock concert at PeachFest in the evening.

Driving between Riverside RV Park Resort and Keremeos I had to come to a complete stop on the highway while a flock of Bighorn Sheep tried to decide which side of the highway they wanted to be on. Indecisive creatures ! ! ! Then, between Olalla and Twin Lakes, as I approached a triathlon training cyclist on the highway, a deer jumped up out of the ditch right in front of the cyclist, and began to run alongside the highway, on the shoulder, right in front of the cyclist. I braked heavily, not knowing whether the deer would jump out in front of me, or the cyclist would veer out in front of me, or ... ? ? ? Sure enough, as I slowly overtook the cyclist, the damn deer decided to cross the road. Just about took out a deer and a cyclist in one fell swoop !

We ran some errands in Penticton, and did some shopping for furnishings. Bought a pair of bedroom table lamps, and a coffee table for the living room. We drove to Lakeshore Park, the centre of PeachFest activities, and found an excellent parking spot. We set up our folding chairs in the park for the concert later in the evening, then walked a few blocks over to a nearby Chinese restaurant for an excellent AYCE ( ETYS ) seafood buffet dinner.

After supper we walked back to Lakeshore Park, watched a Vancouver based cover band perform, then walked around the park waiting for the Lighthouse concert to begin. Sultry hot summer evening in Lakeshore Park, cool breeze blowing in off Okanagan Lake, Canadian classic rock icons Lighthouse performing their Juno award winning hits of the 70's. I had a lot of fun singing along very loudly and very off key. Who cares ? ! It's an outdoor rock concert ! Made me wanna spark a doobie. HA HA HA !

The concert didn't end until about 11:30 PM, and we didn't get home until about 12:30. We're too old to be out that late ! Twice on the drive home deer popped up out of the ditch. SHEESH !

Thursday ; This morning I did a minor repair job on a neighbour's golf cart. I was too lazy to do the job safely, and only a great deal of luck prevented me from being injured when the golf cart fell off the jack. There's a moral in there somewhere !

Another sunny, hot day. We both spent the day working on a variety of home improvement projects. I guess that will be the "story of my life" for the next little while.

Friday ; Another sunny, hot day. Just the way I like it !

Another day of home improvement projects with a dog bath and some trailer maintenance thrown in. Starting yesterday, every day now I remove a trailer window's valance and day / night shade, Joanne washes the valance, we work together to wash the day / night shade, hang it to dry in the sun on our new retractable clothesline, and then I reinstall the day / night shade and valance. That's a lot of work !

Saturday ; And yet another sunny, hot day.

Riverside RV Park Resort was occupied with the wedding that took place here today. The daughter of a neighbour was married here today in our lovely riverfront orchard area. It was the neighbour's second daughter to get married here.

We didn't attend the afternoon wedding ceremony or evening banquet. We spent the day continuing our "home improvement" projects. In the evening we attended a performance of Shakespeare's As You Like It performed by the Penticton Chamber Theatre group on the lovely grounds of the historic Keremeos Grist Mill.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment