Sunday, September 9, 2012

September 2 to 8, 2012

Sunday ; OW OW OW ! As I sit here at my desk late in the evening my knee is getting very sore and stiff. I injured it this afternoon. In a moment of carelessness I stabbed myself fairly deeply into the flesh at the top of the knee. With a drill bit sticking out of my power drill. Don't even ask !

Today was sunny and warm. Nice weather ! I did an agility session with Bo. Well done, Bo ! I sprayed weeds on our lot. I did more refurbishment work on the rocker glider that was part of the furnishings that came with our park model. And my big project for today was installing a bunch of solar lights around our yard. HEY ... they were on sale really cheap at Rona. I installed the lights in holes I drilled in the landscaping ties of our "Yuma fencing". Hence the drill accident !

While taking Bo for a long walk around the park I accepted an invitation to have a beer with "old" neighbours ( near lot 89 ).

Monday ; Another lovely, sunny, warm, late summer day.

Today I removed the park model's storm door, removed the damaged bottom section of frame, and installed the replacement section of door frame that I ordered and received from the manufacturer. Then ... I repaired the damage that I did to the picnic table using it as a workbench < sigh >. Bo and I went on multiple walks today just to enjoy the lovely weather, and visit with neighbours ( and their dogs ). In the evening I worked on making my special campfire starters, but ... I ran out of paraffin wax.

Tuesday ; Another lovely, sunny, warm, late summer day !

Today I completed the picnic table repair I started yesterday. I weeded lot 89. Weeds grow so fast on unoccupied lots here. If there's no vehicular or foot traffic on the lot the weeds grow like ... well, weeds ! I helped the next door neighbour with a little job and then had a beer with him. I did some minor maintenance work on the park model's storm door and my bicycle.

AND ... my big project of the day ; I made my "secret" pine sap salve recipe. My neighbour Betty gave me a teensy bit of coaching help in the kitchen. Without her help
I probably would have burned the pine sap as I heated it to liquify it. I made four little jars of Daniel's Pine Sap Salve. The texture seems about right. Hope my "healing formula" is good ! Most herbalists, Native medicine men, hippy throwbacks, and other wingnuts who make this kind of stuff use calendula and / or comfrey. I didn't have either. I used tea tree oil. And 100% pure beeswax !

Joanne left Winnipeg this morning on a Greyhound bus. She'll be home in two days. After sixteen days of preparing very good dinners for myself during her absence, tonight my supper was ... BLECH ! Oh, well ... sixteen out of seventeen is pretty good !

Wednesday ; Well ! ! ! There goes three and a half hours of my life that I'll never get back !

Today was mostly sunny and warm. I had a loaf of bread baking in the Sun Oven this afternoon when the sun disappeared behind clouds. HMPH ... had to put the bread into the oven in the park model to finish baking. Nice loaf of bread though ! Did some minor maintenance today. Visited with neighbours. Did laundry ! When's my wife going to be home ? ! ?

A couple of days ago I was invited, as Similkameen Day Tours, to a Similkameen Valley tourism industry planning session in Hedley tonight. What a colossal waste of my time. And I know for a fact that I'm not the only one there who felt that way ! Three and a half hours of people spinning their wheels trying to reinvent the wheel ! ! ! Reminded me of my career at Canada Post Headquarters in Ottawa. Reminded me of why I left Canada Post to become self-employed ! Made me extremely grateful to be retired !

Thursday ; Today was sunny and warm. In the middle of the night ( so to speak ), at 5 AM, I picked up Joanne at the Greyhound depot in Keremeos. She had difficulty sleeping on the bus during the two day trip home from Winnipeg, so she was exhausted and sleep deprived. She fell into bed immediately upon arriving home, and slept until 4 PM !

I spent the day tiptoeing around trying to be quiet, working on a variety of minor maintenance projects, including refurbishing a vacuum cleaner that I scavenged from a neighbour's garbage. HEY ... a foot of duct tape, a dab of glue, and it's like brand new again.

Friday ; Sunny and warm.

Today was the first of three days of the annual Pentastic Jazz Festival in Penticton. Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning music performances by many jazz and related bands in five venues. Very pricey tickets. This afternoon there was a free "teaser" concert at Penticton High School by one of the bands that I was most interested in seeing. Joanne said ... "let's go" ! So ... off to Penticton we went to see a music concert and run a few errands.

WOW ! What a great performance by a great Cajun / Swamp Pop / Zydeco band from Southern California. Gator Beat ! A zydeco band from Southern California ? ! ? DAMN ... sounded like they just drove in from Opelousas, Louisiana. WOW ! ! !

Saturday ; Sunny and warm again.

This morning I drove to Oliver to attend an aviation seminar at the Oliver Airport. It was hosted by the South Okanagan Flying Club based at Oliver Airport. The seminar was conducted by Transport Canada. It was billed as a "recurrency seminar". It was a waste of my time and my money !

What I wasn't aware of ... was that this weekend the Oliver Airport was hosting a training and socialization gathering of "War Birds". A bunch of rich guys with extremely expensive World War II military aircraft like Harvards and Nanchangs. So ... understandably... some of the seminar was geared towards formation flying issues and air show issues. And the presenter was a fellow from Transport Canada whose English was heavily accented, and whose mumbling, soft voice couldn't be heard ten feet away. Especially when there were Harvards and Nanchangs firing up their engines outside the hangar the seminar was in. Waste of my time and money !

However ... after the seminar and lunch, I stood outside on the grass between Oliver Airport's one taxiway and one runway ... and watched War Birds take off. And Cessnas land. And skydivers dropping in. Geeeeez ... what a busy day at the normally quiet Oliver Airport. After standing out there for awhile, I headed home, thinking ... gee, Lanoire's Cummins diesel engine sounds quieter today than usual. I spent the rest of the day saying "HUH ? What did you say ?". HA HA HA ! Note to self ... don't stand 100 feet from the runway and watch War Birds take off.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment