Sunday, July 21, 2013

July 14 to 20, 2013

Monday ; I got paid !

We watched episode one of Amazing Race Canada. Most of it took place locally, in and around Kelowna. And ... the cowboys are members of ... WHAT ? ? ? The Alberta Rockies Gay Rodeo Association ? ! ? Makes ya proud to be Canadian, doesn't it ?

Tuesday ; Today was sunny and hot. A great day to go flying !

After an early ( for us ) lunch we left for a day of running errands, first in Keremeos and then in Penticton. I wonder ... < blink, blink > ... what Elvis was shopping for at Rona ? ! ? Nice rhinestone studded bell bottoms, Elvis ! We had an early ( for us ) picnic supper in Skaha Lake Beach Park, then I went flying at Okanagan Skies Aviation, a new flight training and aircraft rental business in Penticton. Finally !

While Joanne went shopping at Value Village I had a very pleasant pilot proficiency check ride with Michelle, a woman who used to work as a flight instructor at Southern Skies Aviation, the flight training and rental business in Penticton that went out of business a few years ago. I had never flown with Michelle before, but had seen her around Southern Skies Aviation. I did very well for a pilot who has flown so little over the last few years. I passed my pilot proficiency check ride and am now allowed to rent Okanagan Skies' Cessna 172 C-GBMH ( call sign ; Bravo Mike Hotel ). I eagerly look forward to doing some flying.

This evening I began my preparations for having a colonoscopy on Thursday. Tonight's picnic supper will be my last food for about 45 hours.

Wednesday ; < moaning > OOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! I hate these "day before the colonoscopy" days of "intentional illness", preparing for the colonoscopy. No food, enough fluids to drown a horse, and ... foul tasting chemicals to force flushing out of the intestines. It's like ... drinking poison !

Just finished watching MasterChef. GEEEEZZZZ ... I'd kill for a sausage dish right about now !

Thursday ; Sunny and hot. Who cares ? ! ?

Woke at 6 AM to take final dose of colonoscopy preparation "poison". Left for hospital in Penticton about 11:45 AM. Arrived at hospital at 12:45 PM. Colonoscopy at 1:45 PM. Finished by 3 PM. This is second colonoscopy I've had by young, female gastroenterologist. At least she has a gentle touch with sewer hose and TV camera shoved up my ass ! Was not the least bit interested in watching procedure on new large screen HD TV. Not my first rodeo ! Tried to snooze through it as much as possible. Out of hospital by 4 PM. Very groggy ! Home by 5 PM. Passing much more blood after procedure than previous colonoscopies. This doctor takes many biopsies. No polyps this time. Ulceration all the way to and into ileum.

Surprisingly ... she thinks diagnosis of ulcerative colitis made over 20 years ago might be wrong. Thinks I might have Crohn's Disease. Little difference between the two ! Have to have blood tests, then see her in office in 4 to 6 weeks.

Friday ; Sunny and hot. And I'm healthy enough to appreciate it.

Went to pick apricots this morning at our "secret" wild apricot tree near Hedley. We picked a lot of apricots. They're smaller than domestically cultivated apricots, but they're usually sweeter as well. Time will tell. We picked them even though they're a few days from peak ripeness. We'll let these ripen "off the tree" and pick more in a week or so ... if there are any left. Sometimes ... our "secret" wild apricot tree gets picked clean pretty quickly.

This afternoon we did some minor maintenance for a neighbour. Then we measured and staked the location in our yard where we intend to relocate our gazebo from lot 89.

Saturday ; Sunny and hot.

I spent the day building a "trailer" for the gazebo, to move it from lot 89 to lot 4. In the sun. Without a shirt. I think I'm sunburned ! What a doofus !

Two years ago we planted an apricot tree on lot 89. Today Joanne harvested two dozen perfect, plump, ripe, juicy apricots off that tree.

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment