Sunday, May 25, 2014

May 18 to 24, 2014

Sunday ; Sunny and mild. Had a somewhat lazy day, doing some truck camper maintenance projects. If the previous owner of our truck camper saw it now, he probably wouldn't recognize it as the same unit he sold us, I have done so much refurbishment and improvements.

Monday ; Victoria Day ( Canadian holiday )


Sunny and warm. Another somewhat lazy day. Did an annual chore that I dislike ; removing, cleaning, re-oiling, and re-installing the truck's permanent air filter.

Tuesday ; Sunny and very warm, temperature in the low 80's F., high 20's C.

Spent the day in Penticton, running errands, spending money. Took the truck in for service to have the combination switch in the steering column replaced. That's the switch that controls the four way emergency flashers, the signal lights, the high beams, the windshield wipers and washers.

At 5 PM headed to the airport for my Cessna 172 annual check ride ( competency examination ). HMPH ! It was cancelled / postponed. Too bad, it was a lovely day for a flight. The aviation business where I rent a plane, Okanagan Skies Aviation, changed ownership this past weekend. SO ... with the change in ownership, the business's operating certificate issued by Transport Canada, and their airplane's insurance, both became invalid as of this morning. It will take a week or two of dancing with bureaucracy for the new owners to get a new operating certificate and airplane insurance.

HMPH ... ended up having to go Wal-Martin' instead of flying. HMPH ! ! !

Wednesday ; Sunny and warm. I used the Sun Oven today to sun dry some Roma tomatoes. Finally !

When we returned home a few weeks ago, we found there was some damage on the vinyl siding of our home. When the vinyl siding was frozen during the winter, some rocks were thrown against it, creating six broken spots in the siding. A disagreement over the cause of the damage between me ( tire spinning ) and our next door neighbour ( wind ! ) escalated, and has resulted in a destroyed friendship. How unfortunate !

Today I removed the first of the six damaged sections of siding, so that I can try to find matching colour vinyl siding. I had no idea how to remove damaged vinyl siding until ... well, one can learn almost anything on the Internet. Yesterday in Penticton I bought the two special tools I needed to remove the siding.

This evening we watched the three hour finale of Survivor.

Thursday ; Sunny, very warm, and humid. Today I used the Sun Oven to finish sun drying the large batch of Roma tomatoes I started yesterday. Yesterday the
top layer / drying rack was finished, but the second and third layers / drying racks needed more time.

I worked on detaching, but not removing, the damaged sections of vinyl siding on the house. In the afternoon we went into Keremeos, primarily for a doctor's appointment for Joanne. I ran errands in town while she was at the doctor.

I hope his diagnosis is correct and the medication he prescribed will alleviate the intermittent but severe intestinal cramping she has been experiencing over the last couple of months.

Friday ; Mostly sunny and mild, occasional cloudy and windy, a few drops of rain.

Today I finished detaching but not removing the damaged sections of siding on the house. It entailed having to disassemble and remove part of our entry landing to be able to get at the siding behind the railing on the landing.

I found out today, from the hardware store in Keremeos, that the nearest dealer of the vinyl siding that I need is in Kamloops. Rather than pay freight from Kamloops to ship just a few sections of vinyl siding that I need, I'll pick it up in Kamloops in a month or so when I take Joanne to catch a train there.

In the evening we watched a real stinker of a twenty-five year old movie called "The 'Burbs" with Tom Hanks.

Saturday ; Mostly sunny and mild.

Went into Keremeos this morning to run some errands. Took Bo with me. He was acting "drivey deprived" as I was preparing to leave. Did some minor maintenance work this afternoon.

Went fishing to Yellow Lake in the evening. Joanne packed a picnic dinner and we left home shortly after 6 PM for the half hour drive to Yellow Lake, about halfway to Penticton. It was a pleasant evening for fishing. Didn't catch anything. My fly fishing rod tip repair failed ! Enjoyed watching the Canada Goose family with many fuzzy little babies. Enjoyed seeing the baby beaver swim by. Watched a large Painted Turtle almost inhale my fishing fly. Wouldn't that have been a predicament ? ! ?

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment