Sunday, June 1, 2014

May 25 to 31, 2014

Sunday ; Mostly cloudy, mild, a bit of rain early in the evening.

Puttered around with minor maintenance chores for much of the day. Had a neighbour / friend over for supper tonight. I barbecued Pollo Asado, the achiotte marinated Mexican version of barbecued chicken. It was good, but I still can't replicate Pollo Asado in Mexico. Canadian chickens have less fat, and are fed differently ( Canadian chickens are fed grains, Mexican chickens are fed Marigolds ), so their meat is different. And in Mexico they barbecue Pollo Asado over a Mesquite wood fire, not a gas grill. Spent the evening after supper visiting with her. The neighbour / friend, not the chicken. HA HA HA !

Monday ; Mostly sunny and mild. A few minutes of heavy rain late this morning.

Main project for today was to install the camper onto the truck in preparation for departure tomorrow morning for a couple of days of camping. Installing the camper onto the truck was not without some difficulty. I'm still learning the process, and still making mistakes !

Joanne spray painted the legs and cross braces of a used coffee table she recently bought for the gazebo. Nice to see that I'm not the only one whose spray painting skills are ... less than perfect ... < snicker >.

Tuesday ; Keremeos to Princeton to Otter Lake Provincial Park

Mostly cloudy and mild early in the day, cold and raining at Otter Lake in the late afternoon and evening.

This morning we took care of routine chores, then departed Riverside RV Park Resort heading west on Hwy. 3 to Princeton, about an hour away. We had some shopping to do in Princeton before continuing on to Otter Lake for a couple off days of camping and fishing.

I bought some screening at Princeton Builders Mart. I bought some fishing flies and had my fly fishing rod tip repaired at Princeton Outdoor Supply. We bought some groceries at Cooper's Foods, Princeton's grocery store.

From Princeton we took the Coalmont / Tulameen Road northwest, through Coalmont and Tulameen ( DUH ) to Otter Lake Provincial Park. We got set up in a site, and
I napped briefly with Sully before heading to the lake's edge to practice my fly fishing, a new skill that I'm finding a bit frustrating to learn.

The frequent rain kept interrupting my efforts. I would fish for a short while. It would begin to rain. I'd return to our campsite and wait out the rain. I'd return to the lake and try again. < sigh > Repeat frequently ! The rain also botched our plan to have a campfire in the evening, with supper cooked over the campfire.

Wednesday ; Otter Lake Provincial Park

Cold and wet ! A really crappy day, especially for camping ! Until 6 PM !

We spent much of the day avoiding being outdoors. We read. We napped. Repeat as necessary ! During one of the few brief periods when it wasn't raining we had a fun "hide & seek" obedience session with Bo. I went fishing a few times, never more than about fifteen minutes each time.

Around 6 PM it finally stopped raining ! Hallelujah ! I lit a campfire. Joanne prepared a foil packet of seasoned carrots to cook over the campfire, a new recipe she found recently. We roasted wieners. We mused about how many years / decades we have been enjoying wiener roasts together. While we were outside getting supper ready, Bo was inside the camper ... eating hot dog buns off the counter. Bad dog, Bo ! ! !

After supper ... not all wieners in hot dog buns ... we sat around the campfire, enjoying its warmth and each other’s company. Around 8:30 PM I decided to go fishing for about half an hour or so before it got dark. WOO-HOO ! Caught a Dolly Varden Trout. My first fish on my new fly fishing rod. And my first Dolly Varden. WOO-HOO !

So ... those last few hours of the day made the camping trip worthwhile !

Thursday ; Otter Lake to Princeton to home

Mostly cloudy and cool. But no rain !

We spent the morning and early afternoon at Otter Lake. I fished. We read and relaxed. After a late lunch we departed the campground, driving through Tulameen and Coalmont back to Princeton. I shopped for some fly fishing gear ... again ... at Princeton Outdoor Supply, and we shopped for groceries at Cooper's Foods. On the way back to Riverside RV Park Resort we checked out Pickard Creek campground and Stemwinder Provincial Park campground.

For supper we baked the fish I caught last night. And ... after cooking it, and eating it ... I don't think it was a Dolly Varden Trout after all. I think it was a Whitefish ! It ought to be renamed "Bonefish" !

Friday ; Four years as a non-smoker

Congratulations, Daniel, well done !

Today was mostly cloudy and cool. This morning we headed into town for anther doctor's appointment for Joanne. While she waited to see the doctor I ran some errands in town. I went to the local hardware store to see why one of the staff who was supposed to phone me last Monday with some information failed to do so. Well ... talk about fumbling the ball ! She forgot, she lost the note she had made, etc., etc.!
I'll make sure when I shop there in the future not to be served by her !

Back at home, we emptied the truck camper's waste holding tanks at our RV park's dump station. Joanne did some vacuuming of the camper and the truck. I did a minor repair to my fly fishing reel. I removed the camper's screen entry door and began to work on replacing a section of screening. DARN ... I left in our shed in Yuma the package of screen spline that I need ! I'll have to buy more in Penticton.

Saturday ; Sunny and very warm. Finally ! For supper tonight Joanne cooked a chicken and rice recipe in the Sun Oven. It was excellent ! Chicken and rice are two of the things that the Sun Oven does very well.

Mosquitoes today ! We removed the truck camper off the truck into our new storage space up in our RV park's storage yard. One of this park's rules is ... "no truck campers stored in yards when removed from truck" ... < rolling eyes >. What this park really needs is a rule that says ... "no assholes allowed" ! Geeeeez, did I really just type that ? ! ?

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment