Sunday, August 30, 2015

August 23 to 29, 2015

Sunday ; Sunny ... I think ... hard to tell ... and very warm. The wild fire smoke had diminished somewhat overnight, but it was still pretty hazy this morning.

This morning Joanne wanted me to make some of my famous pancakes for brunch. Anything you want, my dear ! Afterwards I took a very small load of recyclables to the municipal dump ; a box full of glass jars, and some aluminum soffit waste. Back at home, we worked on yard cleanup, including moving surplus landscape ties and concrete blocks from two places in our yard to one. I’m trying not to expand the “rez” look one of our next door neighbours has cultivated in his yard. HA HA HA !

This afternoon the wild fire smoke thickened again. As soon as we stepped outdoors we began to cough. We visited for awhile with our neighbour / friend Jeanine. Her cancer surgery has been scheduled about a month from now in Vancouver. We made the mistake of bringing Bo with us when we went to visit Jeanine ( and her dog Charlie ). He ( Bo ) certainly can be a bad dog sometimes.

Joanne prepared kale stuffed Stromboli for supper. < whispering > Have I mentioned how much I dislike kale ? In the evening we watched Bachelor In Paradise. I have taken to calling it Badger In Paradise. HA HA HA ! Those people are some pieces of work ! It's no wonder that they're in their late 20's to mid 30's and still looking for Mr. / Ms. Right.

Monday ; Another day of thick wild fire smoke / haze. Very warm temperature.

Another lazy day. In the morning we washed the minivan. Lots of bug splatter from highway driving. In the afternoon I had a lengthy phone chat with my sister. In the evening we had a very nice dinner of steak, new small potatoes, beets, mushrooms, and stuffed tomatoes, all cooked on the barbecue. We watched "Badger In Paradise"
< snicker >. I downloaded, printed, reconciled, and paid the monthly MasterCard billing.

We lost how many tens of thousands of dollars in the stock market on Friday and today ? ! ?

Tuesday ; Hazy again, warm. Mornings and evenings are becoming chilly.

We did some home, yard, and shed clean up today. The beginnings of "fall
pre-departure" which usually doesn't start until October, but we're leaving very early this year. I always find it challenging to decide what to keep, what to store, what to discard.
I have anxiety about dying and having my "heirs" curse me for being a hoarder. To say nothing of the space constraints that come with the “small and simple” lifestyle we have tried to embrace.

This afternoon I worked on researching, selecting, and buying travel medical insurance for our winter travel away from Canada / in the United States. YIKES ! Joanne has entered into a new “age category“, and her travel medical insurance premium has increased sixty-three percent ! Since I am still sixty years of age, I still fit into the 35 to 60 age category. For the final time !

Wednesday ; Another smoky, warm day. Another lazy day.

We did not do much of anything today. Reading, napping, a long walk with the dog, a play session in the dog park, watching a lot of TV. At supper time, as the smoke descended down into the valley, it once again became hard to breathe. Walking home from the dog park, we were all coughing, including Bo, and we were all having difficulty breathing. Our vehicles are becoming coated in fine ash.

Thursday ; Very warm, sunny with smoke haze. A very lazy day. I read. I napped. We walked around the park. We took Bo to the dog park. I puttered around with fall
pre-departure preparations. I polished shoes. I barbecued Sockeye Salmon for supper. Joanne made dill cream sauce to pour over the salmon.  MMMMM !

Friday ; Warm, cloudy, humid.

My plan for today was to go flying. However ... the low clouds prevented that ! So ... Joanne went to Penticton by herself for a day of shopping errands. I stayed home with the dog. If I couldn't go flying, there really was no good reason for me to go to Penticton. I read. I napped. I took the dog for a long walk. I took the dog to the dog park. I repeated as necessary. HA HA HA !

Bad weather is on the way !

Saturday ; Warm. A brief but vicious squall this morning, with extreme wind and heavy rain. Then the sky cleared. Then it became cloudy. Then it cleared. Then it became cloudy again. And so went the day !

Both Joanne and Bo were ill this evening. < shrug > Go figure !

Did nothing productive today. < sigh > I have only one project on my "to do" list, and I'm afraid to start it, with only three weeks left before we depart for the winter. So ... like the last few days, I read, I napped, we walked the dog, we took the dog to the dog park. We visited with our neighbour / friend Jeanine. We watched TV. WOO-HOO ... Fishing With Gussy ! HA HA HA ! Big Northern Pike on Lake Of The Woods in Northwestern Ontario. Reminiscent of my life as a young man.

DSK 

No comments:

Post a Comment