Sunday, August 2, 2015

July 26 to August 1, 2015

Sunday ; Mostly cloudy, some rain in the afternoon, mild temperature.

Today I completed my part of the roofing replacement project as far as I can take it. Now I have to wait for the contractor who is going to install metal roofing on our entry landing and our deck. Then I will resume working on the replacement of the soffit underneath. Today I finished measuring, cutting, and installing fascia trim and drip edge moulding on the entry landing. Pretty good results considering it's the first time I've done this type of work. Sometimes OCD isn't so bad. HA HA HA !

Monday ; Some sun, some cloud, sometimes cool, sometimes hot, sometimes windy.

This morning we went into town to run errands. Bought some produce at Sanderson Farms. Bought some fuel for the minivan at FasGas. Refilled our five gallon water jug. Bought some groceries. Paid our annual house insurance policy at the local insurance agency.

This afternoon while polishing my shoes I discovered that my three month old U.S.$200 SAS sandals are falling apart ! ! !   I'm NOT impressed ! ! !   I hope they can be repaired.

Barbecued Sockeye Salmon for supper. MMMMM ! ! ! Watched the series finale of The Bachelorette !   What a bimbo ! ! !

Tuesday ; Sunny, hot, humid.

This morning Joanne took Jeanine to Penticton Hospital for her weekly chemotherapy treatment. While Jeanine endured the process, Joanne ran some errands. Yesterday, during morning water aerobics in the pool, one of Joanne's water aerobics buddies was complaining of back pain and nausea. Well ... DUH ... it's because she was having a heart attack ! ! !   After Jeanine's chemotherapy treatment was finished, Joanne and Jeanine went to the ICU to visit Doreen.

Today I changed a valve extender on the truck ... again ! I've been having a problem with two of the truck's rear tires slowly losing air. I seem to have solved the problem on one of the tires, and now I'm trying to solve it on the second tire. It's almost always a dually valve extender that causes a slow leak problem.

After Joanne returned home from Penticton late in the afternoon I started the camper rot repair project, my biggest project of this summer. Last year I rebuilt the lower rear skirt of the camper on the passenger side, and this year I am going to do the same on the driver's side. The passenger side rot was much worse than the driver's side, so the passenger side got done first. Today I disassembled, removing the jack on that corner, and mouldings, and a storage compartment access door, and aluminum skin. The final step of disassembly will be to remove a large carriage bolt that seems inaccessible.
< sigh > Tomorrow's problem !

We took Bo for a walk, and to the dog park to play. On the way back home I found a dead, very tiny snake on the roadway. Maybe a baby Rattlesnake, probably a Gopher / Bull Snake. Hard to tell when they're only a few inches long. I picked it up and discarded it. Poor baby ... didn't develop "street smarts" quickly enough !

After a nice dinner of barbecued Dan-O-Cheddar-Dogs we watched America's Got Talent and I did flight planning for a flight to Kamloops on Thursday.

Wednesday ; Sunny and hot. I made sun dried tomatoes in the Sun Oven today.

I did an obedience session with Bo, then we trimmed his nails. Good dog, Bo. Joanne watered all our plants and gardens then asked for my help with some gardening ; harvesting and planting. I wasn't much help ! Kind of like Bo when he has difficulty maintaining focus. HA HA HA ! I did some home maintenance chores then spent the latter part of the afternoon working on the truck camper dry rot repair / rebuild project. I've got the rear lower skirt panel of the camper all torn apart now, and I'm trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done and how. While I worked on that Joanne worked on cleaning old caulking and sealant putty off components that I have disassembled / removed from the truck camper.


I ended my afternoon by taking Bo to the dog park for a play session. Well ... not much play, actually ... he sniffed around a lot while I rested. While Joanne prepared supper
I prepared and filed two flight plans for tomorrow's flights to Kamloops and return. In the evening we watched MasterChef and Amazing Race Canada.

Thursday ; Sunny and hot. Very hot in Cessna 172 C-GHBM !

This morning we left home at 10 AM headed for Penticton, and a DanAir flight to Kamloops. When we arrived at BP Aviation, there was ... HUH ? Crowds of people ... nowhere to park ... WHAT ? And on the airfield side of the fence, where Cessna 172 C-GHBM would normally be PARKED, was ... WHAT THE **** ? ! ? A monstrously huge, World War II B-17 "Flying Fortress" Bomber. HUH ? ? ? ! ! !

The shiny huge "WarBird" was on display ... five bucks a pop to take a look ... and was giving twenty minute flights ... for $400 to $800 a pop, depending on where in the aircraft one wanted to be seated. < blink blink > Eight hundred bucks a pop ? In U.S. funds ? ? ? The plane was from a commemorative air museum in Arizona, and was here as a fund raiser for the Penticton Flying Club. And there seemed to be no shortage of people willing to pony up U.S.$400 to U.S.$800 for a twenty minutes ride. HMPH ... go figure !

I got Hotel Bravo Mike ready to fly, we taxied over to the fuel pumps, filled the wing tanks full, and took off for Kamloops around 12:30 PM. Fifty-four minutes to fly there ... fifty-two minutes to fly back in the evening. Penticton to Kamloops by road would be about four to five hours of driving. It was an absolutely gorgeous day to fly ! When we landed at Kamloops our friends Laszlo and Gayle were waiting for us. They took us to Swiss Chalet for a wonderful, late lunch, and an afternoon of chatting. They drove us to see the lovely rural property where they are spending the summer as "workcamping" grounds keepers, for want of a better definition. And to see Laszlo's "posse", the three resident Pygmy Goats that follow him around. HA HA HA ... very cute. We said "hello" to their pit bull DeeOGee whom we haven't seen since they left Kofa Ko-op in Yuma, Arizona near the end of March, shortly before we left early in April.

Laszlo and Gayle took us back to the Kamloops airport around 5 PM or so. We departed Kamloops around 6 PM and were back in Penticton around 7 PM, home about 8:30 PM.

From my perspective, it was a GREAT day !   However ... I would have to agree with Joanne's complaint that the airplane was stifling hot.

OH ... and I almost forgot ! Small world story ! When we landed at Kamloops airport, parked two airplanes over was ... < sputter > ... Cessna 172 C-GCVO, purchased brand new in the spring of 1998 by the Ottawa Flying Club while I was a member there. I was one of the first pilots to fly Charlie Victor Oscar, and one of the first pilots to fly it on a long cross-country flight when I flew it that summer from Ottawa to Winnipeg and back. I walked over to chat with the very young pilot who was preparing to fly it. Yes, yes ... it's still owned by the Ottawa Flying Club. The pilot had landed in Kamloops to have lunch and refuel the airplane on his way to Vancouver.

Friday ; Happy 54th Birthday to my brother, Russell

Sunny and very hot, temperature 100º F, 38º C. I made more sun dried tomatoes in the Sun Oven.

This morning I drove into town to order a prescription refill at PharmaSave and to buy lumber and hardware at Keremeos Home Building Centre for the truck camper dry rot repair project. Bo came along for a drivey, although ... < snicker > ... he doesn't much like drivey in the minivan. The minivan doesn't have a front seat centre console for him to be on like our truck does ... < rolling eyes >. What a spoiled dog !

This afternoon we both worked on the truck camper dry rot repair project. I carefully measured and cut out all the dry rot. Joanne worked on cleaning dried caulking and sealant off the aluminum outer skin panel that I removed. By the time we stopped working late in the afternoon, we were both feeling a bit ill from too much sun and too much heat.


We went to the annual summer street party tonight in the nearby village of Hedley, but we didn't stay long. We squabbled while getting ready to go, and while driving there, and I was in a pretty bad mood by the time we got there. The conditions for a small town street party were perfect. Sunny and hot ! Blues band performing ! But ... I wasn't enjoying myself. We returned home to watch Doc Martin on PBS and barbecue a thick, juicy steak for supper. After supper we watched Best In Show, a hilarious satire movie with the wonderful comedy duo of Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara.

Saturday ; Sunny and very hot again. Joanne cooked a chicken and wild rice dish in the Sun Oven. It was great !

Today was filled with either vicious squabbling or avoiding one another as we each tried to shake it off. And we were not able to get on the same ( reconciliation ) page at the same time.

Again I spent the too hot afternoon working on the truck camper rot repair project. I can only work for a few hours in this heat, and I take a lot of rest breaks, so ... my progress is slow. And ... throw in a lot of vicious squabbling and my progress is even slower ! ! ! BUT ... I think I have most of the rot repair questions answered, and ... "I'm working on it" !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment