Sunday, August 16, 2015

August 9 to 15, 2015

Sunday ; Sunny nad hot. WHAT ? ? ? "nad" ? ? ? REALLY ? ? ? ! ! ! < sigh >

Joanne cooked ratatouille in the Sun Oven today.

This afternoon I finished the camper rot repair / rebuild project. WOO-HOO ! Well done, Daniel !   I weatherstripped the storage compartment door. I reinstalled the rear corner jack. AND ... I caulked ... and caulked ... and caulked !



Monday ;  AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH ... OW OW OW OW OW ! ! !   I have just removed a "band-aid" from my chest. The nurse who ( dry ) shaved my chest this afternoon at the hospital cut me slightly, and when she put the "band-aid" on after removing all the ECG electrodes, she stretched it over to where my chest was not shaved ... where there was plenty of hair ! OW !

Sunny and very warm. This morning we headed to Penticton and ran errands until
mid-afternoon. Joanne dropped me off at Penticton Hospital and she went to continue shopping. I went to the hospital's cardiology department and met the cardiologist who was going to conduct and assess my cardiology stress test.

As mentioned, the nurse shaved my chest, and made a little cut. OW ! The stress test consisted of walking on a treadmill which increased in speed and incline every few minutes while ten electrodes attached to me displayed ECG data as the "stress" increased. Finally, when I was short of breath, and beginning to suffer chest tightness, and ... you know ... a bit of angina pain, I advised the doctor and nurse that I was at my limit. WHEW !

As I sat and recuperated the doctor and I had a brief discussion, and he wants to see me for a more thorough discussion in his office within the next month or so.

Tuesday ; Mostly sunny, hot, humid. It rained briefly in the afternoon.

I did some preventive maintenance on both the truck and the minivan. I resumed working on the entry landing soffit replacement, now that the metal roofing has been installed and now that I am finished the camper dry rot repair project.. I installed the necessary J-trim pieces on the entry landing. Our neighbour / friend Jeanine came over for a brief visit. Her chemotherapy treatments are taking a toll.

I had a brief phone chat with my sister early this evening. Despite receiving very good news this morning regarding the success of her husband's cancer treatments, she's feeling "down". Unfortunately, my phone VoIP connection dropped the call, and I wasn't able to get another connection.

Wednesday ; Mostly sunny, a bit hazy ( wildfire smoke ? ), hot, humid, a vicious little thunder squall late in the afternoon.

This morning I did a lengthy obedience session with Bo. Excellent work, Bo, good dog ! Joanne harvested tomatoes from our tomato garden, an almost daily occurrence now. And she did laundry. We mounted Elsie the truck camper onto Lanoire the truck in preparation for a weekend trip to the Princeton Traditional Music Festival. We worked on installing soffit underneath our deck roof. That work was interrupted by the little squall that blew through, flinging eight foot lengths of aluminum soffit around, bending it, and threatening to decapitate us.

Joanne invited Jeanine over for a supper of Mexican Lasagna. A good recipe, well done by Joanne. Afterwards we watched Amazing Race Canada.

Thursday ; Sunny, very hot, humid, a bit hazy.

This morning I trimmed my beard and ... gave Joanne a haircut. Did a damn fine job, too ! We went into town to buy some hardware and vinyl soffit material. The local hardware store did not have what I needed. < sigh > Ever since they changed their affiliation from "Irly Bird" to "Home Hardware" a couple of years ago they have gone downhill, both in terms of service and inventory. We were planning to have lunch at Samosa Garden but ... I wasn't feeling completely healthy, so we postponed until next Tuesday.

This afternoon I worked on completing the installation of the aluminum soffit underneath the new metal roof on our deck. But ... I ran out of the correct screws. As I knew
I would. That was one of the items I went to town to buy this morning. In the evening
I did some online research / browsing of travel medical insurance. YIKES ! Joanne is in a new age / cost category.

Friday ; Sunny and hot early in the day, violent thunderstorms late in the day.

This morning we prepared Elsie ( the truck camper ) for departure and took care of some household chores and watering all the planters and gardens. We departed late in the morning, heading west on Hwy. 3 towards Princeton, about an hour away, for the opening ceremonies of the Princeton Traditional Music Festival.

We stopped at Bromley Rock Provincial Park, one of our favourite local spots, for lunch and some beach time on the Similkameen River. While there we discovered that the camper's freshwater pump was not functioning. It ran, but would not draw water out of the freshwater holding tank. The pump had lost its "prime", probably when I recently changed the freshwater holding tank's drain system. These RV water pumps are supposed to be self-priming, but at the age of eighteen years, I suppose this pump has earned the right to lose its self-priming capability when drained dry in hot weather. I am hopeful that I will be able to manually "persuade" some water into the pump to moisten the rubber diaphragm and the pump will resume working. In the meantime ... the camper has no freshwater capability, meaning we can't even flush the toilet !

After lunch I took Bo down to the beach on the Similkameen River and we played "beach doughnut fetch" in the warm, shallow water with his Mexican fishing net float "beach doughnut". HA HA HA ... well done, Bo. Although ... he certainly does not play "beach doughnut fetch" with as much enthusiasm as he did in his much younger days.

I fiddled with the water pump for awhile but was not able to resolve the problem. We left Bromley Rock Provincial Park and continued west on Hwy. 3 to Princeton. I bought some hardware at Fletcher Building Supplies and we bought some groceries at Cooper's Foods before heading to the parking lot where we were planning to boondock for a couple of nights. I fiddled some more with the pump and still couldn't resolve the problem. It seemed unlikely that we could spend the next couple of days in the camper.

Bo and I took a nap while Joanne worked on Sudoku puzzles. By the time I awoke it was raining. The temperature had dropped, the clouds looked menacing, and it seemed unlikely that the Princeton Traditional Music Festival opening ceremonies and street dance would be much fun in cold rain. We decided to return home.

As we drove back home to Riverside RV Park Resort the rain became heavier, with thunder and lightning. By the time we arrived home, the weather was pretty terrible.
I suppose our decision to return home when we did was the right one. We prepared a very nice pizza for supper. Sun Oven dried tomatoes, seasoned ground beef, mushrooms, onions, capers, and anchovies ( on my side only ). With many thanks to Trader Joe's !

Our neighbour / friend Jeanine stopped by on her way back from Kelowna Hospital where she underwent some tests today. Her chemotherapy has worked well, and she will be having surgery in September.

Saturday ; Cloudy and cold early in the day, with occasional light rain. Rain ended by mid-afternoon, and clouds began to clear early in the evening.

At 11 AM we left home, once again heading west on Hwy. 3 to Princeton for the first full day of the annual two day ( not including the Friday night opening ceremonies and street dance ) Princeton Traditional Music Festival. We've been to this very eclectic music festival before and we really enjoy its variety and diversity. Today was exceptional ! The only minor flaw was the terrible CD that I purchased from a blues artist whose live performance was ... AWESOME ! He should be ashamed of himself for "conning" his audience members out of ten bucks for such a crappy compilation of only THREE songs.

We returned home about 7 PM and while Joanne prepared supper I finished installing screws in the soffit underneath the new metal roof of our deck off the living room. Finished ! The entry landing roof awaits !

DSK

No comments:

Post a Comment